Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yup, both cars. mine are missing and will probably stay that way for a good while unless some just plop in my lap. considering the rarity of the car, it may take me a long time.

I may try to contact the lady from the limo company that bought it in 1996 and see if she has any parts left over that she didn't throw out.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.31 KB)
491_56ec6878cd3cb.jpg 849X391 px

jpg  (4.42 KB)
491_56ec68f3a2bfa.jpg 201X119 px

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:43
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Do they have to plop?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

cli55er wrote:

...as to the 12v. yeah I need to figure that all out. I looked up under the dash last night and there are wires going everywhere and there is electric tape that is giving up the ghost and could cause me issues with shorting or fire in the future. I need to map all of that out or try to go back to 6v.

to go back to 6v will require a lot of parts and a complete rewire I think.

it has a vol-ta-drop (which apparently they don't make anymore) on it and only one side is being used. it has 2 6v/6a studs I can use.

there is a tag on one wire that says extra 12v continuous and another tag that says clock...do not hook up 6v +. needless to say the clock does not work.

I will take a fair amount of pictures of the wiring, I know I will need help. the amp meter is pegged at 30 amps when the car is running. the gas gauge seems to read 1/4 no matter what.

overall it isn't that bad, I just need to get in there and figure out what they did and use shrink wrap instead of crappy electric tape...

Henry, strongly suggest that when the car is not being used you disconnect the battery or install a cut-off switch.

Looking forward to seeing you, your family, and the Packard in Kerrville.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
they don't have to plop....they can be laid, but not thrown because they may hit my goods and that would hurt! lol!

battery cut off switch previously installed and currently disconnected

looking forward to seeing you as well. I have lots for you to look at and tell me...that's what that does. lol!

Posted on: 2016/3/18 15:52
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you decide to stick with 12v, a GM style street harness is nearly identical to the same wiring colors and runs as the original Packard harnesses, if youre looking for a less expensive option.

Unless you know what has been replaced, going back to 6v is really going to be a challenge unless the entire harness is replaced. Usually, 12v wiring is smaller diameter than 6v, as amperage is much less. So double check any wiring to make sure they havent downsized anything.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 16:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
it is a mixture of reproduced cloth covered factory harness and 12v modern wire conversion. there are so many splices with electric tape that are coming loose it is not funny. i'll take some pics of under the dash and maybe we can all figure out what is going on under there.

it works...its just got me nervous with the tape coming loose.

I plan to go through it and use shrink wrap. it will cost too much to go back to 6v. it looks like it is all 12v, except the gauges are using that voltadrop part mounted on the firewall under the dash. I also like the brightness of the headlights and brake lights on the 12v.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 17:14
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Trust me, I understand. 12v all the way over here. Heat Shrink the connections and retape the harness. Trace every thing out to make sure everything is fused somehow.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 18:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
Congrats on getting your family's car back. I though I would give some info on my Limo (1090).There are no metal handholds on the divider, just basically the lap rope holder on the divider wall. I have wanted to add metal ones as the jump seats in my 46 Custom Super Clipper(1651) look just like the ones in my 1937 138CD Limo. but it has the metal handholds in it.

When I got my Limo it was 12v and since then I have installed a complete new 6v harness. I also got rid of the 454 chevy that it came with.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 18:52
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Don, the handles go on the jump seats..... Not the divider wall where the robe rail is. I don't have handles on my jump seats either.

BigKev... Will do for sure!

Posted on: 2016/3/18 19:41
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Henry, Don,
Do your cars have straps to get out of the car like the other car Henry bookmarked?

Posted on: 2016/3/18 19:52
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved