Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 80

wjames, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Re: It's an Atomic Packard!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It is not hard to make doors by hand if you have the right tools and skills. I mean metal doors. The prewar buses and stretched Chevrolets would have had hand made metal panels and doors, either made all of metal or metal outside panels over an ash wood frame.

The Packard shows signs of crude work. The doors on the right side do not match the originals around the window area and it appears the left side does not open. The added length is solid and only the original doors open.

This would be understandable in the context of war production. They would have been under pressure to turn out vehicles quickly and with the minimum use of steel and other strategic materials. These vehicles were meant for buses and not luxury limousines.

All new car production was suspended in early 1942 (I think it was April 1942) and all unsold cars were taken by the government and put into bonded warehouses. No one could buy a new car except in special cases such as doctors and veterinarians and others essential to the war effort who had to have a car.

New vehicles were issued to the military and other government agencies as necessary.

Fitzjohn would have been converting whatever vehicles that were sent to them. If the supply of Chevrolets ran out then it would be Packards or whatever was available. Probably the Packards were preferred, as a heavy car it would stand up better to the extra weight and hard service.

It's an interesting sidelight on the can do attitude of American industry at that time. You had the world's best baling wire or seat of the pants engineers. The volume of war materiel turned out in a few years was incredible. This could only be achieved by cutting corners and streamlining production wherever possible in other words McGyver had nothing on your war industries.

Posted on: 2009/3/1 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Well said Rusty.

Here's to 'Can Do!' attitude.
We need it these days.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/3/1 16:42
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
"A special type of model 100 using wood for the conversion and containing 15 back-to-back seats was designed and built in large numbers. Many of them were assigned by the Office of Defense Transportation to common carriers while others, often built from Pontiac or Packard cars, were delivered to the U.S. Army."

By common carriers I think they mean Chevrolets for public bus service. The Packards were made for the Army.This would include the "Atomic Packard" with its wood and masonite construction.

Wonder if any others survive? Probably they were worn out in bus service and junked in the 50s.

From the history of Fitzjohn

http://www.geocities.com/fitzjohnbus/Page16txtandimage.html

They go on to say that bus production ended in the fall of 1942, although some buses were not completed and delivered until early 1943. In the summer of 1943 the War Production Board eased supplies of metal and engines, and bus production resumed in December 1943.

This suggests that the Packard was converted in late 1942 or early 1943 when steel was not available.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 20:51
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My friend sent me that local newspaper article on the Atomic packard. I have not had a change to read it. But her husband works for Sandia National Labs, and she included an article from the Labs January newsletter where they also also talk about the Packard. It has a nice direct side shot that shows all the wooden frame work. The article is titled "Oppies Ride". I will see if I can get the picture scanned and post for reference.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 0:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
There was also an article in The Cormorant News Bulletin from May 2006 (Volume LIII, number 5) titled "A Packard, With a Secret Past" by Jeremy D. Cook and Cynthia C. Kelly. This issue had the Clipper bus on the cover.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 0:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Fascinating info.

I suppose every auto's story intersects many influences and events of history. This one, however, seems to be well above the average.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/3/3 9:25
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I was going to contact the Sandia Lab News editor to get permission to post the article here, but in checking there website, they actually post all their articles online.

So here is the PDF version of their January 30th, 2009 newsletter. The small article (1/2 page) on the Atomic Packard is on the last page of the PDF.

http://www.sandia.gov/LabNews/ln01-30-09/labnews01-30-09.pdf

Posted on: 2009/3/3 12:48
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Update on Atomic Museum car
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Does anyone in the southwest have access to the restoration shop restoring the 1941 Packard Clipper stretched "limo" that was used for transportation on the Manhattan project?
I'd love to see some "during" restoration photos. There are plenty of photos of the car before restoration on the Museum's "photobucket", but I'm wondering how the project is coming along.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/3/27 9:45
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Re: Update on Atomic Museum car
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
FYI- A friend in New Mexico just send me a text message that she just passed the Limo on the back of a flat bed, and it appeared to be done. It was sporting an O/D green matte paint job. She thinks it may have been heading toward the museum.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 12:07
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Re: Update on Atomic Museum car
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Thanks, Kev. I'll e-mail Sandra at the museum and see if I can get more info.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 10:52
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved