Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

Daniel Leininger, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: Help with 34 Club Sedan, please!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
We'll all collectively toast the new year with that fine Irish Whiskey. Glad you found the problem.

Posted on: 2008/12/30 23:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
"The car went better than ever, cruising along at 65 mph, including uphill with 3 people on board. No smoke whatsoever and the plugs were a perfect colour."

Just out of curiosity, what gearing are you running to achieve 65 mph as a cruising speed? Are you still running babbitted connecting rod bearings?

Jim

Posted on: 2008/12/30 23:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
My apologies for the delay in replying to you 39super8, its been a very busy few days for me. I will tell you what I can about the internal workings of my '34 tomorrow.

HH56, please PM me your home address, I believe I have something for you!

Pat.

Posted on: 2009/1/3 18:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Good morning all,

I was asked for details in relation to my motor, bearings, gearing etc.

Firstly you must rember my Packard is the only one in Ireland so I cannot go to my local Packard club, workshop, swop meet or parts supplier for help or assistance.

When I acquired my '34 Club Sedan it was in poor shape, missing the distributor and cap, rotor, dynamo or fuel pump. The engine was worn out, badly re-built at some stage, and obviously in need of a complete rebuild.

I bought a second-hand motor from Max Merritt and imported it to Ireland with the intention of using it and the original motor to build one good motor. The motor were re-built by an engineering firm here in Ireland who specialize in earth moving and heavy duty engines. They sourced parts from Max Merritt, without whom I would have given up a long time ago if I did not have JD, who works there, to advise me and put up without my endless and persistent question!

Anyway there was a problem, time-wise, with the big end and small end bearings so my engineer machined the crank and con-rods to take modern bearings. There are new pistons, valves, springs, in fact an endless list of parts gone into the motor. While I can wield a spanner do not ask me for the blow by blow details of what was done, my engineer is a brilliant but reclusive genius and does not reveal much!

Due to the limitations as outlined in the first paragraph, the motor run with 8 lobe electronic ignition, 12volt alternator (machined onto the drive shaft from the missing dynamo) and a electric fuel pump.

I suppose the modification would lend themselves to smoother running and a good turn of speed.

Please don't give out to me for my 'non-standard' modification's, at the end of the day this Packard was heading for the scrap heap, it has been saved and is out putting up huge mileage year after year, and smiles on peoples faces!

Yours,

Pat.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 6:21
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1934 PACKARD 1101 CLUB SEDAN
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Pat,

I had a feeling you were using modern bearings cruising at 65 mph. Did you put a high-speed rear end in the car? I was under the impression those cars normally had fairly low rear end gears.

Thanks much for the description of work done on the engine. And no, I do not think anyone would fault the upgrades you have performed in order to get the car on the road. I too have fitted modern bearings in my engine, so far with excellent results.

Jim

Posted on: 2009/1/7 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi Jim,

Sorry, but I have no idea about the gearing, be it high or low. All that I can tell you is the puts up a good show and is always first away from the lights! People are always amazed at the turn of speed.

I forgot to mention it also has a High Compression head, so maybe a previous owner had sporting pretensions?

Pat.

Posted on: 2009/1/8 8:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Pat,

It sounds like your car really runs strong. I only ask about rear gears because of my current project of achieving the best possible gearing for highway cruising. Your car having a 65 mph cruise speed is most impressive.

Thanks very much for sharing the information on your engine,
Jim

Posted on: 2009/1/8 10:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Have you any idea what the top speed was for our motors when new?

Posted on: 2009/1/8 12:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Road test in Britian on the 34 1100 Eight sedan found a top speed of 86 mph. That was with the 4.69 rear axle. Same engine more or less as your but with babbitt bearings, and no doubt a higher (numerically) rear axle ratio.

Posted on: 2009/1/8 13:53
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Bruce Blevins
See User information
Check your coils. The front coil powers the first four cylinders and the back coil cylinders 5-8.

Bruce Blevins
blevinsb33@aol.com

Posted on: 2009/1/8 14:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved