Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Tappet Clearance Tool J-4540? Valve Guide Driver J-2577?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I checked Merritt’s and they list the 2 different tools, but the listings state they are for 327’s. Am I to assume 327’s and 359’s the same?

Yes. The 288/327 block was introduced for 48 and use the same tool as the 54 only 359. That engine started as a 9 main 327 block but then was bored and stroked for the larger displacement. The 356 block introduced in 40 and lasted thru 50 has different lifters and needs a different tool.

Posted on: 2022/1/7 10:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Here is a picture of the tool from PNW along with their instruction page.

Attach file:

jpg  20220107_120103.jpg (90.35 KB)
148538_61d8a4bad0e76.jpg 864X1920 px

jpg  20220107_120415.jpg (157.22 KB)
148538_61d8a4d7e7c6f.jpg 864X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/1/7 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
We used a similar setup when we installed the valve guides in my dad's '38 Super 8 engine rebuild. Actually, we did it twice because like an idiot I installed the guides upside down....so I got to remove them all and redo them the correct way.

The screw press was very easy, though a bit time consuming.

-Kevin

You caught my attention when you said "like an idiot", made me think I need to read this!!! The picture of these guides are the correct way up, yes? It's the way the ones in the car are right now, but that doesn't make them correct..............piston #8 was pointing backwards. :-/

I measured the top of the guides as being 1 1/16" from the deck. Seems in line with what everyone else is saying.

Attach file:

jpg  20230725_161344.jpg (133.08 KB)
226104_64c04b6466961.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/7/25 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
Instead of pounding out the two valve guides where the boss was chipped, I made a SCREW PRESS, out of 5/16" threaded rod, standard 5/16" nuts, and some spacers and washers, all purchased at a hardware store for $10. WORKED PERFECTLY.

I got the idea from this video made for pulling the valve guides on a flathead Hudson:

Flathead Hudson Valve Guide Pull

So much easier, less violent, and less dangerous (both to ones' person and to the block) than pounding them out. I used standard Grade 2 threaded rod, at one point it started to strip, I just moved things down to a different thread. However, Grade 5 and Grade 8 threaded rod is also available and one might instead use that. The guides were undamaged. It was a simple process and TOOK MUCH LESS TIME than pounding each guide out did. The block was out of the car but this same process should be possible with the guide in the car as well.

Subsequent to getting those two out, I used a Dremel to smooth and round where the bosses were chipped, which wasn't too hard. Hope that works. I intend to use the dry ice method and tap them in again as before, though it should be possible to use the screw press in reverse as well, I may do that if they don't go in easy.

Did you use the same method to "pull" the new valve guides in?

Posted on: 2023/7/25 17:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
IIRC installing the new guides was easy, after packing them in dry ice. Just a light tap required:

Here is what I wrote:

I used the Goodson hand driver to put the valve guides in, as I did such damage to the JB HD-343 when pounding the old valve guides out. Packed in Dry Ice for 5 hours and with a little bit of grease they went in pretty easy, the tool doesn't look damaged at all, and I didn't have to pound very hard in comparison to what it took to take them out. I even put one valve guide in too deep accidentally, and was able to pound it through and re-insert it from the top.

Someone else mentioned using the screw press backwards, that would work too.

I did protect the block with pieces of wood as in the pictures

Posted on: 2023/7/25 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information

Posted on: 2023/7/25 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
Hi Folks,

Well, I started working on replacing the Valve Guides. Gosh, one really has to pound on them hard to get them out! They started to chip and disentegrate while I was pounding them out.

I was using this tool:

https://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/kl1765.html

It started to deform this tool a little bit, the shoulder was mushrooming.

I tried pounding a new Valve Guide in (from Kanter) and it ended up chipping a little bit, I had to pound it out, too. Fortunately I had bought one extra each of the exhaust and intake valve guides.

But I think I will try the dry ice method for installing them.

I was thinking of buying another tool to have as a spare. Do you folks recommend the tool above, or perhaps this one:

GP-534-G .343" x .487" x .336"

https://goodson.com/collections/valve-guide-drivers/products/manual-valve-guide-drivers-sae

I really don't want to break another one installing it. I hope the dry ice method works!

Thanks and Cheers,

Jerome

How BIG a hammer did you use when pounding out your valve guides? I have the machine shop making me a driver and then this is my next project.

I tried a few variations of the threaded rod extraction method, which would maybe work if they hadn't been in there for 70 years!

I watched a guy on YouTube working on an old Jeep engine and the tops of the guides he drove out all shattered and then he just kept bashing them until they started moving. It seems once they start moving then you're good to go.

I'm working on my engine in the car, so I won't be changing valve guides on #8, but they're not too bad, #4 is the worst one.

Posted on: 2023/7/31 10:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I had to hit it pretty hard, so much that the tool, which was made of hardened steel (I got them from two different vendors with the same result, in the notes) mushroomed.

The valves I removed were because of an issue with installation, so it makes sense that the screw press worked for that but maybe it would be more difficult for 70-year-old-guides.

I used a handheld sledge and put wood blocks around and swung it pretty hard. If i was doing #8 I might have to take the hood off, but if you are just doing #4 you would have enough room. Hold the valve driver with blocks so that you don't have to hold it with your other hand, so you can swing freely.

list of valve guide drivers and picture of handheld sledge and blocks

Posted on: 2023/7/31 13:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
I had to hit it pretty hard, so much that the tool, which was made of hardened steel (I got them from two different vendors with the same result, in the notes) mushroomed.

The valves I removed were because of an issue with installation, so it makes sense that the screw press worked for that but maybe it would be more difficult for 70-year-old-guides.

I used a handheld sledge and put wood blocks around and swung it pretty hard. If i was doing #8 I might have to take the hood off, but if you are just doing #4 you would have enough room. Hold the valve driver with blocks so that you don't have to hold it with your other hand, so you can swing freely.

list of valve guide drivers and picture of handheld sledge and blocks

Thank you for the additional feedback! My plan is to replace guides for cylinders 1-7 because they're not expensive, but if they don't come out very easy I may rethink that. I suppose I'll have to watch and if my driver starts to mushroom I'll just clean it up a bit with the grinder.

It looks like you have a pneumatic valve guide removal tool in the one picture, did you use that?

Posted on: 2023/7/31 13:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I didn't do much experimentation with the pneumatic tool. I have issues with how loud the compressor is and trying to keep the neighbors happy. But it truthfully didn't feel like it had enough oomph.

One other thing you might do is remove the studs before you do this, that would make it easier and you wouldn't have to stack the blocks so high so that they protect the studs from being hit by the hammer.

Posted on: 2023/7/31 13:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved