Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 183

HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 20 »

Re: Stars & their Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

portlandon wrote:
1924. Miss Mary Bay in a "Toy" Packard

Not a Packard. It's a rare Custer electric.
"Custer Electric - Dayton, Ohio - (1920-42) - L. Luzern Custer purportedly built an experimental electric car in 1898, but it was not until 1920 that he began his Custer Specialty Company in Dayton for the production of electric vehicles. The Custer was built as a Cootie (children's car), Cabbie (miniature railroad). Chair (automotive wheelchair), Carrier (factory truck) and Coupe (two-passenger city car). Of all varieties, the most significant in production was the automotive wheelchair, which was doubtless to Luzern Custer's personal satisfaction because he happened to be an invalid himself. The Cootie was perhaps the second most produced of the Custer vehicles. As for the Coupe, it weighed 550 pounds, was not much longer than it was high (78 inches versus 62), was rather cute, and might have been a marvelous proposition for crowded metropolitan areas except for one thing; its cruising speed was eight miles per hour. The Custer Specialty Company was in business a long time in Dayton (into the 1960s), but no more than a handful (and possibly only one) of the Coupes was ever built."

Attach file:

jpg  (159.43 KB)
404_4eef8ff3e6633.jpg 1060X1197 px

Posted on: 2011/12/19 14:26
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Packard53 wrote:
West: I could be mistaken about the Clark Gable Packard.
The Packard is a 1932 905 series with 579 body style which means it is a Coupe Roadster or sometimes referred to as a Rumble Seat Roadster.

I can give you two different reference sources if you would like.

John F. Shireman

Quote:

West Peterson wrote:

A tiger's tail by any other name is still a tail. I was just calling it by its generic term, which is a convertible coupe.

Quote:

portlandon wrote:
No guessing just facts? Now now West, it might be a Tigers Tail, but that Tail is connected to a 1932 905 series with 579 body Rumble Seat Roadster. Ha Ha! The Wheel Covers are...snazzy?

Quote:

West Peterson wrote:

Technically it's not a roadster. It's a convertible coupe.

Methinks you doth protest too much, West. I know almost nothing about this era of Packard and the extra information provided by Packard53 and Portlandon helped me to learn a little more. How about letting others enlighten us without the discouraging words?

Posted on: 2011/12/19 18:55
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I thought we were just having fun. Sorry if I sounded like I was getting down on anyone. Coupe-roadster is Packard's term for convertible coupe.

Posted on: 2011/12/19 19:26
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Regarding the fabulous cars from the Maybelline collection:
I've just e-mailed the current owner of the 1940 Packard (the one with the horse head hood ornament). Some of this is brand-new news to him. He immediately contacted the author of the new Maybelline book, who is the grand-neice of the original owner.

I've also e-mailed the curator of the Bob Bahre collection, thinking the black V-windsield sedan was the Car of the Dome. I had always thought there were only three sedans built, only one with a rear-mounted spare tire, so I assumed the Maybelline car was the Car of the Dome.

Not so. The Car of the Dome only had five hood doors, and a hood opening handle that was mounted about in the middle of the side of the hood, whereas the black car pictured in this thread has six hood doors and a hood handle mounted very low. Also, the Car of the Dome had a painted radiator shell, while this thread's car has a plated grillshell. It is also known who the original owner of the Car of the Dome was, and he lived in Pennsylvania and the car was bought in March of 1934, before the 1934 Fair even opened.

So... it looks like a fourth car was built, which was probably a replacement for the Car of the Dome. It was then shown at the 1934 Exhibition, then bought by Williams. The car is no longer known to exist. More than likely, it was traded for the 1940 car, which is currently in California.

Attach file:

jpg  (80.81 KB)
404_4eefd96cc4d99.jpg 750X562 px

Posted on: 2011/12/19 19:34
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Click to enlarge.

Click to see original Image in a new window

"Tom Lyle Williams founder of the Maybelline Company with his 1938 convertible Packard, gold chromed, in front of his Villa Valentino, once owned by the Great Lover Rudolph Valentino."

[source: www.maybellinebook.com]

Posted on: 2011/12/26 18:20
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Looks like it has a '41 type front clip on it. There was some discussion in this thread, posts #216, 222, 223, 224, 225, 229 & 230, concerning Darrin's and front clips.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 18:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Mal
That car is all 1940 front clip (with a raked grillshell), without the free-standing headlights. The headlights installed look to be from a Lincoln Zephyr/Continental, and the parking lights are from a 1940 Cadillac.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 22:34
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
West. With other parts in the mix, the subtleties to enable proper identification were lost on me.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 23:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...The headlights installed look to be from a Lincoln Zephyr/Continental,...

Yes, a 1940 Lincoln Zephyr. On top of the chrome headlight rings it repeats the design of its front chrome trim.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.78 KB)
757_4ef9433a654ac.jpg 500X375 px

jpg  (33.91 KB)
757_4ef944ce3a1a8.jpg 500X376 px

jpg  (44.39 KB)
757_4ef945bdf01f9.jpg 500X376 px

Posted on: 2011/12/26 23:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
West - Tuesday, December 20, 2011:

Quote:
Regarding the fabulous cars from the Maybelline collection:
I've just e-mailed the current owner of the 1940 Packard (the one with the horse head hood ornament). Some of this is brand-new news to him. He immediately contacted the author of the new Maybelline book, who is the grand-neice of the original owner...

www.maybellinebook.com - Monday, December 26, 2011:

"...We will also be bringing you pictures and video's, of Tom Lyle's, 1940 Packard convertible, which has been located after 60 years, in Orange County California. Needless to say, we are over-the-top, excited to see the car and know you will be too!!!"

[picture source: www.maybellinebook.com]

Attach file:

jpg  (25.57 KB)
757_4efb200f9caa4.jpg 672X352 px

Posted on: 2011/12/28 8:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 20 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved