Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 70

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: New site issue?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you Howard but I am a network and IT professional and I can confirm that my public IP here at this house hasn't changed since at the latest October 16, 2022 so clearly that's not the issue, at least on my end. The local device's IP is irrelevant but the public IP is not.

Posted on: 2022/10/27 14:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just saying maybe worth verifying all is what it seems at the instant it happens. Since apparently no one else is getting that particular message it must be something local to you causing the site to give that result -- that is of course, also depending on whether the message as you see it means what we think it says or if it is just some poor translation of something else going on.

One of the most amusing service calls I ever received was a panic call from a customer when a high voltage insulating gas supply cylinder was running low. The very poor translation from Japanese to English had the machine displaying an error message: "the gas bombe is soon to fail". Apparently the word bombe is used in some places to mean cylinder and they used fail for empty. The customer was beside himself thinking something was about to explode. Took some convincing before he believed that the worst would happen is the machine would shut off if it went all the way empty.

Posted on: 2022/10/27 14:18
Howard
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, that’s a hilarious story! Back in my machine shop days before I moved to high tech, I enjoyed trying to make sense of some of the poorly translated equipment manuals. If anyone had to rely on those to use the machines they would have remained unused!

Posted on: 2022/10/27 14:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm not seeing those boxes in the forum listing. So hard for me to say why you are seeing them. Is it a particular forum or a particular order you viewing things in?

Posted on: 2022/10/28 9:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are a couple of captures from 5 minutes ago. The first is the general forum and shows whatever that icon that maybe is some kind of page in the important topics section and then all the empty squares in the other section. Another capture of the parts wanted forum shows smily faces in some of them which I also don't remember seeing before. Are the icons trying to indicate something?

Captures are done on an iMac running Mac OS 12 and Safari. The same also shows on the iPad and IOS.

Attach file:

jpg  general.jpg (202.05 KB)
209_635bed757e5cf.jpg 1988X1504 px

jpg  parts wanted.jpg (194.80 KB)
209_635bed8a37554.jpg 1994X1564 px

Posted on: 2022/10/28 9:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Those are Post Icons. I believe in before the upgrade, I had replaced the square icon with a blank png file.

Once I ran the upgrade, those probably got written back over with the original png file.

When you add a post, you can select the Message Icon. If you don't, it just defaults to that box icon.

I think I need to replace that square icon with a blank PNG and that would resolve the issue.

Posted on: 2022/10/28 10:28
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok, I replaced it with a transparent image. If you still see the square box, you'll need to refresh your browser cache.

The reason I never saw the issue, Is that my browser was still caching the prior blank one.

Posted on: 2022/10/28 10:36
-BigKev

Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Looks like I’ve gotten locked out again between clicks of reading one new post to the next.

You are registered as BAD_IP by Protector.
This restriction will be expired on 2022-10-29 19:36:16

Still can’t get rid of the checkboxes in Firefox on my iPad and don’t really want to clear the cache so will see if they disappear in time. On dynamic sites, I typically suppress cache in the headers but that doesn’t always seem to work either.

Posted on: 2022/10/28 14:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yeah, not sure what's up with what you are seeing as I have had no one else ever report anything like that, ever.

I just cleared your IP. Let me know next time it happens as I have turned the logging back on with the protector, so perhaps now it will tell me why it doesn't like you! :)

Looking at the Protector settings, there are only two conditions that can cause an IP Ban:

1) Too many bad login attempts.

2) High loading. Refreshing/requesting pages 120 times in a 60-second span (aka 2 times a second).

Anyway, once it happens again, I can see what the log says is being reported for your IP.

Are you running some kind of background A/V Malware scanner that is pre-scanning web content as you load it? Just wonder if it making rapid duplicate/redundant requests to the same resources, and that is causing the issue.

Posted on: 2022/10/28 15:26
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’m not running anything in the background that isn’t a built-in part of iPadOS - that is, nothing custom or special. Clearly I’m not reloading pages or logging in repeatedly either so it will be great to know what the logs say.

Posted on: 2022/10/28 22:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved