Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Fuel system
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can disconnect the line from both end and they blow it out with compressed air to make sure there is not a blockage.

A clog is from either old gas varnish or crud sucked up from the tank.

Carb cleaner is a good solvent to use for varnish.

The only other issue from the hardlines is if they develop pinhole leaks and then the pump starts to suck more air than fuel.

Also, check and inspect the rubber hoses.

Posted on: 2023/1/26 14:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Spencer B.
See User information
Hey thanks for directing me to your saga of bringing your clipper back to life. I have a ‘54 convertible so not 100% the same but I’m enjoying reading through this and trying to educate myself as much as possible as I’m relative new to the hobby.

Posted on: 2023/1/29 19:10
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Yeah me too LOL but I'm working on it

Posted on: 2023/1/31 16:02
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Okay so I just got the new used fuel pump I'm looking at it and I am seeing for maybe three four places inlets or outlets or whatever I know which one is the inlet in which one is the outlet but there are two more holes there I'm assuming one is for the vacuum that's the whole next to the inlet and the whole next to the outlet I'm not entirely sure what that is I will also send a picture

Attach file:

jpg  16758106384374831676261031218930.jpg (193.38 KB)
225999_63e2d7888fc3e.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/2/7 17:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
The bottom section is the fuel section. The top section is the vacuum section. You don't need to worry about the vacuum section right now, but later it would help run the windshield wipers. There are two connetions at the top for vacuum, they aren't labeled, but after you get things started you can tell which end sucks, then you can use that knowledge to hook up the vacuum lines correctly, second step.

You should take the bottom "bowl" off and clean out whatever is in there.

In the picture, the end with the weird cylinder/bulb, that is the outlet. The bulb was supposed to reduce pulsations to the carburetor. Some people leave it off but it does no harm. Opposite to that is the fuel inlet.

Posted on: 2023/2/7 18:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
See the pictures in this post and the one that follows:

Picture of Fuel Pump Installed, in this thread but earlier.

Posted on: 2023/2/7 18:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
That fuel pump looks like it has been oriented incorrectly, the fuel inlet and outlet should be perpendicular to where it bolts onto the engine. Probably whoever took it off and perhaps put new gaskets in it rotated the bottom with respect to the mid-section, looks like something similar on the top vacuum section.

Posted on: 2023/2/7 18:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree on the incorrect orientation. The mounting flange should be at 90 degrees to the fuel in and out ports. Here is a photo showing how it should hook up once oriented. You will probably want to get a fresh rebuild kit also because old rubber and ethanol do not get along.

Attach file:

jpg  fuel pump.jpg (92.02 KB)
209_63e2de8d752e5.jpg 902X1006 px

Posted on: 2023/2/7 18:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Thank you I appreciate that the diagram that I was looking at is basically the same one you just showed me except it was all blurry and I couldn't tell what was what and he really wasn't labeled or at least not very well but thank you I appreciate it that means I got some work to do as far as the vacuum lines also if you don't mind you got a diagram of where those acute lines go to like on the block like what side where they're located and potentially the same for the wiper motor I mean I'm looking at the wife of motor right now and I got one small I think it's a cable on the driver side of the motor going into the cabin and I got a bigger line which I think is copper or bronze brass whatever coming out on the passenger side but that is going to what I think is a vacuum pump see picture. The other pit the other picture is of the big two coming off what I think is a vacuum pump going to the back side of the carburetor and okay maybe it's not attached to the carburetor no it's not but you can see it behind the carburetor split to a t and then a smaller White well great well I'm guessing is a vacuum tube running into the cab

Attach file:

jpg  16758127712849032959957703196393.jpg (219.11 KB)
225999_63e2dffcf34c6.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  16758128716234607976946908403729.jpg (317.57 KB)
225999_63e2e0704bb64.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/2/7 18:37
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
All right so if it's not orientated right I think you said does that mean that I need to take that take talk and the bottom off and move it or turn it so that it's when you say perpendicular to the where it mounts to the block or will it be all right the way it is those gaskets on there however don't look like they've been taking off or anything in God I don't know I don't know how many years they look like those are the originals by the looks of them I really kind of don't dare to take them off

Posted on: 2023/2/7 18:47
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved