Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »

Re: disc brake conversions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There appears at least one shop advertising conversion kits for some models--no idea on price though. I know several in addition to Millers1953 have mentioned making their own or possibly trying to put together some pieces or kits.

As Craig mentioned, others used to make brackets or kits but for various reasons no longer offer them--probably due to low demand or maybe liability reasons. If unsuccessful in finding someone selling the brackets or kits, might try here. This is from the current catalog on their website so assume still available.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.82 KB)
209_4ae314f750ec1.jpg 763X217 px

Posted on: 2009/10/24 9:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
the idea was to offer the kits at a better price to my packard brothers. but since people keep posting everyone else's ads instead of helping me gather the info i need concering demand for the kits, i'm thinking of killing the idea!

Posted on: 2009/10/25 2:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I don't blame you one bit!

Posted on: 2009/10/25 2:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
but since people keep posting everyone else's ads
You're right. I did post someone else's ads. The man said he was interested, and that is the only source I know of as a possibility today. Craig said his supplier wasn't doing them any more, Jerry's ideas are posted above but I believe said in another post a few weeks ago on his treadle vac replacement, he was showing what he has done on his car for someone wanting to make their own but wasn't contemplating going into production. Not sure if that holds for this as well.

Until this thread, don't recall seeing anything about your project in some time and didn't know it was still ongoing. If you're trying to collect info, why don't you start a post to that effect and periodically bump it back to active status with an update as to progress.

Would also suggest that for anyone else with a project (myself included) if a serious effort. If we know of it as ongoing, we can keep it in mind as possibility & refer people to the thread or if a work in progress keep us in the loop so someone doesn't waste a lot of time and duplicate it.

Posted on: 2009/10/25 9:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
GreenDragon: I have to agree with HH56 with his posting of a firm that already offers a disc brake conversion. Which I might ad doesn't interest me in the least.

The thing that you forget is that you are now only trying to collected information hoping there might be interest in something that you might offer in the future. Persons may express an interest in your future offering but then they might not purchase your product when you offer it.

If you think you can offer a disc conversion that is better and cheaper than what is being offered now, then do it.

Wish you the best of luck in your venture if you decide to go forward with your idea.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/10/25 20:13
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Very true John. I've been offering my HEI conversions for over 3 years now and no one's pony'ed up the money to buy one yet.

Posted on: 2009/10/25 20:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
For those of you with original stock single MC drum brakes or those of you like me and some others on this forum with dual MC and disc fronts or like my friend Paul who has 4-wheel discs:

See the recall by Toyota and Ford on their cars with "brake problems."

Thank your lucky stars that you and me are "old tech" without "fly-by-wire" (software controlled) brakes. Being an old software tech-head, I know how many software errors are in ANY system. I would not bet my life on a "fly-by-wire" brake system on my classic car, or any car for that matter.

OTOH, I would not bet it on a single MC with drums either, but we have discussed that issue ad infinitum.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/2/4 18:12
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
for those people who are interested in the disc brake conversions, pm me please. they are currently in the works and should be able to start shipping them out in roughly 6-10 weeks. there will be two grades "basic" and "premium"

Posted on: 2010/2/25 23:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Oh and f.y.i. i tried to contact every company that showed a conversion listing for packard about warranty of their set ups. either they would not comment, or said there is NONE!!

Posted on: 2010/2/25 23:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
What is the difference between the basic and premium? Also, what will this setup cost me, to the door? Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/3/2 0:00
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved