Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Roosevelt 1936 Buenos Aires Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
Besides the extra three lights and the incorrect disc wheel hubcaps, what exactly is wrong with this car? It looks nice to me???

Given just this photo, and my limited understanding, I would say the white trim with internal pinstripe, chrome goo-gaws on window are a bit much,and orange brake drums would have been a very very rare option in 1930. I'm not too sure about the chrome hood vents, either.

It just seems like a lot of bling.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.58 KB)
333_4b313cc896d2b.jpg 252X189 px

Posted on: 2009/12/22 16:38
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Since Packards were sold as custom cars and bodies made on factory chassis is it not possible that this is the way the car was ordered new, save the brake drums and the incorrect hubcap on the spare?

After all this, I hate to think what people think of my Speedster I'm building.....

Posted on: 2009/12/22 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:

After all this, I hate to think what people think of my Speedster I'm building.....

Your project is in a totally different class: you are creating, not restoring.

I personally do not like the look of a classic with a lot of extra chrome and lights, etc. That is an opinion. It is also true that much of that sort of extra 'bling' is not original.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 16:55
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
While I share the opinion that restored cars loaded with every option available is distastful I am mindful that beauty is in the beholder and my mother taught me that if I am not able to make a nice comment about someones possessions I should not comment at all to avoid hurting feelings. Historically I am sure that some contemporary owners of these cars adorned them with very doodad imaginable in much the same way they still do today. Is there anything visible on this car which could not have been added as factory or aftermarket in 1930? To say that the car is "wrong" is a subjective and elitist opinion. If a car is historically inaccurate then the word "incorrect" is the proper term in my opinion. How would the owner of this beautiful Packard feel if he/she were to visit this site and read some of these derogatory comments. I doubt he/she would return and who could blame him/her? While this car is not restored to my taste I am also not in the financial league to be able to to afford a Packard of this rarity and value so who am I to criticise what another person does with his property at the risk of being accused of being jealous (which I am in this case and in Eric's ability to create and fabricate!).

Posted on: 2009/12/22 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I like the car. Historically accurate or not.

If anyone knows the owner of the car perhaps they can invite the owner to join us and tell us more about the car and how he actualy uses the car.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 17:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Are we sure the car in the picture is really intended to be a restoration? Maybe it is a resto-mod. We do not even know if it has a Packard engine or not, right? Maybe there are sub woofers and a plasma TV in the trunk! They might have converted to 12 volt to run all those goodies.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 18:17
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Hey! It might even have a Low Rider suspension kit! Yahoo!!

Posted on: 2009/12/22 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Maybe it is a Bayliff product...

Posted on: 2009/12/22 18:27
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I have been looking at many pictures of 1930 Packard's for the last two days. There might be nine lights on this car but with the exception of the center light in the grille, all the other lights can be seen on 1930 Packard's.

Since this 745 was top of the line it may have been possible for the buyer to have had eight lights installed at the factory. I am sure that since Packard sales plunged 50% from 1929 the factory in 1930 would do most any accessory installation the customer might have wanted, including any type of custome paint job.

So to say that the restoration of the car isn't correct might not be true.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/12/22 20:52
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Maybe it was owned by a Maharajah to go tiger hunting:

Attach file:

jpg  (28.74 KB)
34_4b31832ae937b.jpg 802X459 px

Posted on: 2009/12/22 21:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved