Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 122

Mechagon, kevinpackard, Don B, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 12 »

Re: Brake Upgrade
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
WOW! My casual answer to at least two solutions to the disc brake conversion solution to the 55-56 (maybe 51+) Packard woke up this thread!

I agree with Eric that Paul's solution of adapting the approx 1971 Ford 1/2-ton P/U front disc brake with King Pin is the "best solution", but it is not for the casual restorer. It is for the serious restorer who does know what the "F" he's doing, i.e., somebody like Paul.

OTOH, my solution as a bolt-on and minor machining is more within the reach of most of us. I will state emphatically about my disc brake conversion on my 55 Pat. It will STOP!!! and it has never failed to stop in the most extreme situation. Therefore, if you are concerned about there being enough strength in the "adapter plates" involved, your concern is grossly misplaced. I have staked my life on those plates many times and never been "disappointed", so to speak.

Also, from my experience with the much more important oil pump adapter situation, there is NO WAY enough market to actually produce a "kit" of a disc brake conversion for a T-L Packard.

One last thing. All you guys driving around BTV equipped Packards. You are at risk of imminent brake failure! I would not ride with you!

Craig

Posted on: 2008/1/7 22:02
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes. I got the 4-1/4 to 4-9/32 by measuring center-to-center of the Hub lugs, NOT the wheel holes. My guess is that anyone making a kit will be using donor hubs from some other application and not actually drilling or redrilling any hubs.

Posted on: 2008/1/8 6:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Craig. Look at the SECOND post in this thread where i recommended YOUR website for DB conversion!!!!!

U also wrote:
"Also, from my experience with the much more important oil pump adapter situation, there is NO WAY enough market to actually produce a "kit" of a disc brake conversion for a T-L Packard".

According to YOUR recent PV8 Club posting YOU have sold 22 of the Olds conversion kits!!!! The Oil pump kit covers only two years. Will the DB kits u have fit the earlier models back to 51???? If so then the DB kits will cover SIX years instead of just two. Which means MORE cars and MORE sales.

I just do not see any corelation between demand for V8 oil pumps and DB conversions. 22 oil pump kits in 1 year is mighty good i'd say. And one of the DB kit makers posted here that he would need 25 to 30 commitments for kits to get started. 22 vs 25-30 is a good start!!!

Posted on: 2008/1/8 7:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Craig also wrote:
"One last thing. All you guys driving around BTV equipped Packards. You are at risk of imminent brake failure! I would not ride with you!"

I AGREE that the BTV has a weak spot. However u keep making only broad general statements similar to the one above with NO specific details as to exactly WHAT is wrong with the BTV. If i remeber right u had your BTV rebuilt by a "professional" who should have (in your words) "known what the "F" their doing". Did u ever take the BTV apart YOURSELF for inspection to see what caused the failure??? I AM SURE that u are perfectly capabile of doing that in every way.

Posted on: 2008/1/8 7:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
As to what is "wrong" with the BTV, I don't care to know. What I do know is that I had 3 different BTVs fail before I replaced the design with a new Master Power Brake booster with a dual master cylinder.

The first failure was with the one which came on my Pat when I bought it. It was a no-warning 100% failure in traffic. I replaced that one with one rebuilt by White Post Restorations. That one failed too, but this time the pedal went more slowly to the floor. I put in another rebuilt by a local restoration shop. That one failed like the 2nd one. This was over a period of about 3 years.

I know of at least 5 other Packard owners who have also experienced BTV failure. As we all "know", there are different, economic replacement solutions that have been implemented, including Keith, Paul, Eric and myself.

Why risk it?

Posted on: 2008/1/8 10:01
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
If Jim Turner can do the DB mod it will likely cost around $700-800 per car, since he mentioned the cost would be about the same as the Stude setup.

Joe H

Posted on: 2008/1/8 12:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Attached below just might be a solution to replacing the BTV with just a dual master cylinder with this behind it. You can check it out at ecihotrodbrakes.com, click on catalog and brake multiplier.

ECI Brake Pressure Multiplier

Recipient of the 2004 NSRA Best New Product, and Best New Safety products Awards

The ECI brake pressure multiplier (BPM) utilizes a unique step piston configuration to increase brake system pressures 50-60% where it's needed most - at higher pedal forces. The BPM uses the excess fluid capacity available in the master cylinder bore to provide increased line pressure for the low volume requirements of a small piston caliper brake system, such as Ford Explorer, Corvette and GM rear disc brake calipers, and is ideal for use with rear drum brake systems,

Due to it's step piston multiplication system, the BPM continues to provide 150% to 160% of inlet pressure as pedal effort increases, unlike a vacuum booster's assist, which remains constant after maximum boost is reached with line pressure only increasing linearly with increased pedal force (see figure).

Low pressure operation and system filling remain unchanged, with pressure multiplication occurring only at the higher pressure levels required for optimum system performance. Each BPM is tailored to your exact system requirements during assembly to provide the maximum increase in pressure and brake performance. A light increase in pedal travel is required for operation.

The BPM is installed in the brake line and can be used with or without a vacuum booster. Chassis mounting is required.

EC-1500...................................$ 159.95

EC-1500

[ Home - Catalog - Brake Facts - Order Info - Contact ]

?1999 - 2007 Engineered Components, Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Use.

Posted on: 2008/1/8 13:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
From AACA X-ref an October post:

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=21&Number=115096&Searchpage=1&Main=28408&Words=%26quot%3Bwheel+bearings%26quot%3B&topic=0&Search=true#Post115096

55-56 Senior front wheel bearings
55-56 Senior bearing inner 348640 - Timken 14130
55-56 Senior bearing outer 379474 - Timken 12580 race-12520
55-56 Senior bearing seal..367675 - Victor 49237

Unconfirmed, from ebay: This front inner wheel bearing assembly is made by Bower part numbers LM-67048 and LM-67010. My books indicate applications as 1956-60 Chylser, Desoto, Dodge, Ford, Hudson, Nash, Packard, Plymouth, Studebaker, and Rambler. ('56 Packard only?)

Posted on: 2008/1/9 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Has anyone actualy used the "BPM" ????? The write up at the website does not make a lot of sense.

"it attaches to the brake line". So then, a car with dual cylinder needs TWO of the BPM's ????? The write up at the web site does a poor job of explaining how it works.

I'm guessing that it acts as a intermediate master cylinder. The original master cylinder actuates the BPM which in turn (using a SMALLER piston than the original mc) continues the pressure. NOTE the last sentence stating that a "light increase in pedal travel is required". I'm guessing it's a lot more than "light" (they probably meant Slight) increase in pedal travel.

Posted on: 2008/1/9 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
I talked to ECI about the BPM and was told it does not work on large volume systems, small volume system such as Ford Explorer calipers and only activates on 1/2 of the system, front or rear. You experience about 10% more pedal travel. Not what I have been searching for. Kevin, have you corresponded anymore with Jim Turner at Turner Brake about upgrade? If you do and he takes this on I can definitely be counted in as a customer.
Rowdy(Bill)

Posted on: 2008/1/11 12:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved