Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 40

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Distributor swap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I did not actually see it but a local collector car owner told me when he accidentally left his ignition on overnight the Pertonix unit melted! I am not saying for a certainty this is a true story but maybe it is. I have on occasion accidentally left the ignition switch on and burned out a point set but they are inexpensive relative to the electronic unit. Has anyone heard of this or had this unfortunate experience also?

Posted on: 2011/1/26 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
From Packard V8 on Page 1 of this topic:

Quote:
Not sure why u want the e-ignition but to each his own.

Quote:
Be sure to carry a SPARE control module in the car for the e-ignition. What's the cost of a spare control module?????

Quote:
ok. What do u do when the e-ignition control module becomes an "issue" (when it goes bad)???? Is a bad control module in someway better than a bad condensor???? Condensor about $5. Control module $50-$200.

Answer from cortcomp Page 1 of this topic:
Quote:
No one who actually runs a Pertronix has ever reported a failure. You're more likely to blow two tires, throw a driveshaft, or other issue causing your car to need to be towed than have the Pertronix fail and need towed. The only people who worry about failures are people who haven't run one. I've run 3 on different models so far over the last 5 or so years, and none have ever failed. . . . With that said, you can swap the breaker plate on the side of the road to run it back to points if you're that worried

Question from Packard V8 on Page 3 of this topic:
Quote:
ok. So those of u running the e-ignition WITHOUT points used in the circuit and regardless of brand, what do u do when the control module goes bad AND u're stuck out on the side of the road somewhere?????? Do u carry an extra control module for emergency roadside repair or what???? What does an extra control module cost?????

Move we agree henceforth Packard V8 does not recommend electronic ignitions. Is there a second to this motion?

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/1/26 16:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are many reported failures of the 6-volt Pertronix units in Packards - so many that one distributor of the units has ceased selling them. Can't say I've heard of any problem with the 12-volt units, though.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 18:32
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
Yesterday it was warm enough to play out in the driveway so i decided to install a delco distributor and the pertronix ignition system . it was a breeze and the delco gears matched perfectly I had a nos distributor from Max Merritt and would say the engine ran a little smoother and cold starts are improved, I tested that today.(of course the engine running smoother could be as a result of retiming). I will keep the old points around for a while actually i will keep the old distributor around with the points not disturbed so a swap back would be fast either way. I think the pertronix was around $75 and the new distributor was close to $200

Posted on: 2011/1/31 20:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Jack,

The Jacobs unit in the Packard was purchased from Summit Racing in 2006 for $135.95 plus $7.95 shipping. It is their FC1000 unit and was their base, lowest price, no-frills (without rev-limiter, etc) unit at the time it was purchased. I later purchased their C-4, 60,000 volt coil for $60.00 plus shipping. As for availability and costs, today, I have not investigated this as have not needed one but the Internet is my usual source for all non-Packard specific equipment for the car. I simply compare product and price. I have depended upon Sandy Chirco at Tucson Packard for the majority of the Packard-only parts that I've been unable to reference in the Hollander Exchange Manuals and purchase locally at parts stores since I acquired the car.

I left the stock coil in its stock position so that switching back to points, should the Jacobs unit fail (it hasn't) would be easier.

The other unit that is in the Lincoln was from a private seller and is/was advertised and sold as a specific application for the stock (non-high performance) Ford 302/5.0 and has a rev-limiter and its own coil of the same shape and mounting holes as the original.

No special tools or equipment was needed to install either unit although (as posted by me on this forum at the time) I did have to install a simple (+) to (-) signal converter relay between the distributor and the Jacobs unit on the Packard in order to provide the Jacobs unit the negative signal that it requires to operate. Other than that the wiring harness and fuses that came with the unit installed exactly as the simple instructions that came with them indicated and, as someone else pointed out, the units come with more than adequate wiring to mount nearly anywhere. Mine is mounted under the right front fender on the Packard.

So far as the Pertronix unit installed before the Jacobs system is concerned, it was the basic 12V+ unit that I ordered and also installed with simple tools exactly as the instructions that came with it indicated. I'm sorry that I can't give you a price on it but that's been at least six years ago and I just don't know but it was purchased via the Internet as well and, I believe, directly from Pertronix.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, I searched for quite a while and cannot find a Jacobs FC1000 for sale. Anyone know where to go to get one?

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/2/2 21:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved