Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
89 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 88

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: "Waking Sleeping Beauty" .... The Blog!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't remember if you changed or did anything to the fuel pump, but if not then the old rubber with new gas won't last long. Might save a lot of trouble to just order a new kit from then & nowhttp://www.maritimedragracing.com/antique_auto_parts_cellar.htm and do that while the carb is being done.

Might also be a good idea to replace that flex hose at front of engine from steel gas line to pump. I have had issues with that hose on a couple of cars. On one the lining became cracked and brittle. A piece managed to move enough that under suction, it would periodically swing into the flow and block the line.

Posted on: 2011/2/13 15:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hey Howard,

Now that you mention it, I haven't done anything to the fuel pump except hook a new hose from it to a 6 gallon gas can. Actually, I was a little surprised it worked at all. I looked up the link you sent me and liked what I saw. I'll order a kit tomorrow. I think they are the one that supplied the kit that my mechanic used on my '51 (which may be ready for me to test drive Thursday).

Good point about the old rubber. I know that hose didn't bend but broke when I tried to remove it from the pump. I also noticed yesterday that the vast majority of rubber vacuum hoses - like the ones clamped to the fire wall for the windshield wiper motor are as hard as iron. So hard, that I'd bet that they were put on by Packard workers 56 years ago. The ones over the intake manifold aren't any more flexible. I've got a reel of new gas hose but when I pick up the kit I'll pick up some new vacuum hose as well.

I'm a little disappointed that the carb rebuild place I mentioned is in "limbo". I've rebuilt 2 barrels before but not a 4. However, with the group's help, the FSM and a little luck I'm going to give it a try. I just hope the floats have held up.
Thank you for your suggestions, Howard - they are appreciated. Feel free to send any other thoughts you may have. That goes for everyone else as well.

Posted on: 2011/2/13 18:16
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
There has been a carb rebuilder/ restorer mentioned here by either Owen_Dyneto who, I believe is located in Daytona, FL. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it at the time so I can't give you the link.

Perhaps Dave would be kind enough to give the name of the shop again.

Posted on: 2011/2/13 19:28
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Daytona Parts is the place. They are also sell rebuild kits that are top notch. I have one of their kits in my Carb.

http://www.daytonaparts.com/

Posted on: 2011/2/13 20:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
I pulled the carb and called Savas Tuning here in Portland to get them to rebuild my carb. They've done great work for me in the past but now I get some strange recording about a huge back log, yada, yada, yada and it looks like they can't do it.

Quote:
I'm a little disappointed that the carb rebuild place I mentioned is in "limbo". I've rebuilt 2 barrels before but not a 4.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but......
Paul Savas ran for county Commissioner for Clackamas County and won. Which is good for the county, but terribly bad for anyone who needs carb work done. He had been doing our Business Carb rebuilds for years, and was very good at it.

I haven't found anyone locally to do any good carbs yet, but If I do I'll let you know.

Posted on: 2011/2/13 20:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
[/quote

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but......
Paul Savas ran for county [Commissioner for Clackamas County and won. Which is good for the county, but terribly bad for anyone who needs carb work done. He had been doing our Business Carb rebuilds for years, and was very good at it.}

I haven't found anyone locally to do any good carbs yet, but If I do I'll let you know. /quote]

I'm sorry to hear that. However, if he's as good with Counties as he is with carbs; Clackamas is in good shape!

Please do let me know if you find anyone as good. It'll be tough to find anyone better.

Stephen and Big Kev: I wish I'd held off on ordering the kit from NAPA. I should have asked here first. You'd think someday I'd learn - though I can't imagine when! If I don't achieve great results doing it myself I'll take your suggestion and ship it off to Florida. Though patience isn't always my long suite, I am familiar with the saying: "Why is there never enough time to do a thing right, but always enough time to do it over".

My thanks again to Howard, Stephen, Big Kev and as always, Portlandon.

Posted on: 2011/2/13 23:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Bad news this morning!
Mike from American Metal Clean who was working on the fuel tank from my '55 called to say my tank is toast. I can't say I was really shocked or even surprised. It appears that the water level that floated on top of the dead gas not only ate the bottom of the fuel sending unit (I'll post pictures if I ever figure out how) also ate the tank at the water line. He said the top half of the tank may be salvageable. I'll call Tom at Able Radiator in Milwaukie, OR to see if he's up to making a bottom half and how much. But I imagine I'll have to call Max Merritt about their reconditioned tanks. Please, if anyone has any experience of these or any other ideas - please jump in!
Actually, it really kind of tics me off! Packard (and many other makes of the era) thoughtfully provided drain plugs in their fuel tanks. I imagine it was so owners who didn't want their cars subjected to snow and salt could put them up for the season AND DRAIN THE DAMN GAS TANK! Why the two brothers who thoughtfully stored the car in a heated garage for 26 years didn't USE THE DRAIN PLUG is one of those mysteries that I hope will be explained to me when I go to that big salvage yard in the sky!

Posted on: 2011/2/16 12:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Jim,

I learned a long time ago to never underestimate stupidity.

Anyway, as I understand it the gas tank top and bottom are the same stamping. Perhaps a mould could be made of the good bottom half of your tank. A company called Abatron advertises mouldmaking and casting compounds in Old House Journal. Who knows get it worked out right and you could go into the Packard gas tank business.

Supposedly there is brand new gas tank that is in the basement of woman I bought the Derham from that goes with car. If it is still there I was thinking it could be used as a template for making new tanks. Maybe make it out of Kevlar. Then again, refer to my first sentence. Good luck with it.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 14:55
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If the tank is just rusty and pinholed where the waterline was, then it maybe a good candidate for getting it "Renu'd".

http://www.gastankrenu.com/how.htm

That is where my tank is headed in about 2 weeks.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 17:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Stephen, you are so right about stupidity! Of course I've NEVER done anything like that myself! Actually I am toying with the idea of seeing what it would take $$$ to get some made. I haven't made it out to pick up my tank as this morning's snow threw my schedule out of whack but it may be good enough to make a mold.

I talked with Tom at Able Radiator this morning. He said that if there is anything with any strength left, he could probably do something with it. If all else fails he has made gas tanks for customers in the past and has a self confessed soft spot for Packards. His biggest concern is that he is not insured to manufacture tanks. And given the times, that can be a BIG issue. When I get my tank back he wants to see it with a view to my options.

As far as manufacturing goes; I think that product liability would be the biggest problem. Trunk floor replacement panels are one thing - steel containers holding explosive fluids is something else again. Remember the Pinto and Chevy pick-ups?

Big Kev, you may be right about the "Renu" process. I'll be watching your blog for your thoughts on that process.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 18:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved