Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »

Re: 350+ scans of original upholstery-carpet-top cards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Going off thread here- what is a "bow drill" and is it "bow" like the prow of a ship or "bow" like tie?

Posted on: 2011/2/1 21:48
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure of the pronunciation but it is a very durable somewhat coarse patterned material along the lines of canvas. Has a very fine ribbing sort of like corduroy but not as pronounced. Cotton, & usually black or tan although other colors might be available. Believe most cars used it either in covering a weatherstripping or in a convertible interior dressing something type environment.

Here is a sample picture. The gray is actually black which I lightened up to show the pattern.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.46 KB)
209_4d48ca046898a.jpg 250X185 px

Posted on: 2011/2/1 22:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
patgreen wrote:

Quote:
In our many publications on this site, is there a catalog of the materials these swatches show? Something that possibly gives a better idea of what the material is and where used?

The key to simple use--as I see it--is for this to be well cataloged so it is accessible from a variety of viewpoints: by year, by model(s), by material, by application and, where applicable, by color.....

Weighing in at over 44MB, it's not practical for me to download this PDF via my home dial-up connection, and I won't have access to WiFi for a couple of days. However, as a veteran parts man, I am compelled to stick my neck out on this one.

Upholstery samples offered by dealer albums are valuable references, but they only include a couple types of materials for each trim set (OK, three for 55-56 Carib) and only for the seats. I know for a fact that the V8s use several different types of material throughout the interior. (IIRC, the cloth and vinyl interior in my dad's Exec ahd about seven different types of vinyl.) Relying on these books will result in a lot of a lot of gaping holes

Yet, Roscoe opened this thread with images of a few samples, with each identified by a part number. If all samples are identified as such, then why not let the parts books be your first guide?

Nearly every service part number can be found in the Numerical Index of the relevant parts book - including Bulk Trim, which is what these swatches represent. Application listings for Bulk Trim are found in the body section, in Group 31, but the numerical Index will point you to a more specific Groupnumber. If the part number (P/N) has been superseded, a replacing part number will be shown instead of a Group number, and you'll need follow the trail of that new number. If you don't find a part number in the Numerical Index for 55-56, try the 48-54, and so on.

For example, P/N 6487002 shows up in the Numerical Index of the 55-56 parts book and points to Gr. 31.4744, which is for Fabric Top Material. The application for that part number shows model 5699, which is a 1956 Caribbean convertible. The listing goes on to tell you that material is used with Trim Set 93 and is white with green backing.

Details vary by type of material, but a sufficient sampling of a variety of materials will give you a better idea of what information can be collected and what data fields are needed and how to arrange them.

Of course, some material may be used in more than one model, trim set, and/or area. Some descriptions might not be so obvious and may requires access to the specific model to resolve. Earlier editions of parts books may not be as complete and clear with their information.

Don't get bogged down on any one sample. Get all the info you can from the parts book, take notes on gray areas, and move on to the next sample. You can come back to the incomplete ones, laterm ad will be able to ask informed questions in the forum to help fill in the blanks with the help of seasoned owners.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 23:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...If all samples are identified as such, then why not let the parts books be your first guide?...

That's what I think, too.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.61 KB)
757_4d48fefe994ae.jpg 497X304 px

Posted on: 2011/2/2 1:51
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
The top pads on my convertible match the color and texture of the green "bow drill" sample

Posted on: 2011/2/2 11:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Kev,

Here is sample. We have the files named after ID tags.

Attach file:

jpg  (161.45 KB)
2260_4d49af969792d.jpg 1035X755 px

Posted on: 2011/2/2 14:25
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looks good. Just curious if it would be easier to read like this:

5622-42_Set13-23_ImitationLeatherSidewall_DrkGreenSatinFinish_6481100

Just a suggestion for those doing a search, it may return a better hit.

Thanks guys for all your work on this.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 15:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
I wasn't sure what kind of punctuation you wanted here. I am of the school that all description is lower case and the only symbol permissible for punctuation is the underscore as everything is used in coding language.

Your suggestion is certainly easier on the eye. My way also works well as any part of the caption brings the file up in Spotlight on the Mac.

Check this out. Also, the first sample I put up is the one where I missed finishing my crop. Ah, well.

On this file, going out to end of material sample shows the fabric construction.

Attach file:

jpg  (188.17 KB)
2260_4d49e00ad192b.jpg 1600X1158 px

Posted on: 2011/2/2 17:52
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
The question I just forgot to ask is where is the destination you want them uploaded to?

Posted on: 2011/2/2 17:56
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Was the color name "Green" omitted from the filename of the image shown in post #38 for a reason or was it just an oversight?

Posted on: 2011/2/2 19:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved