Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 24 »

Re: Ken's 1937 115C Touring Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Back in 2009 the ring gear was replaced on a '39 Six we were putting a rebuilt engine into. See this link which has some pic's.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 22:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:

In the tech session at Salado this year one of the presenters talked about flywheel ring gears. He said that a ring gear can be taken off of the flywheel and reversed so that the good portion of the teeth are facing the starter.

So the ring gears aren't beveled? In my previous experience with newer ('50s and later) Chevy V8s, there is actually a bevel on the ring gear, so that it can only be installed one direction. If that's not the case with this ring gear, that will be an easy fix.

Also, I will replace the starter drive when I flip or change the ring gear. It's too easy to find and inexpensive to risk damaging the good side of the ring gear for! A lot easier to pull the starter than to pull the ring gear!

Posted on: 2011/4/17 9:09
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ken P, I don't know if the ring gears are beveled on our 115Cs. The procedure the presenter described, after the flywheel is off of the engine, is to heat the ring gear with a torch. Be careful not to over heat it or get it red. Just enough heat so the gear will slip off of the flywheel. To istall the ring gear, he said to get the flywheel cold and then quickly fit the ring gear to it. I don't remember if he said to reheat the ring gear to install it. I have never done this job, but maybe you have some experience with it.

The Flackmaster was there and may want to check me on this procedure. He is the coordinator-organizer for the Salado tech sessions, and he does a great job.

Good luck, and let us know how all of this turns out.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/17 13:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Ken P, I don't know if the ring gears are beveled on our 115Cs.

Lol, mine is beveled! At least on about 15% of the teeth- but that's not what you meant! I'll be flipping the ring gear around eventually, but probably not for a month or two. If I'm going to pull the trans, I want to pull the motor and tranny at the same time and get everything painted. Before I do that, I want to get it running. And the beat goes on...

Didn't do any work on the engine today, because I'm not going to be able to do much until I get a new fuel pump in, but I did get the windshield pulled out. Now I just have to get a new one cut and order my new gasket.

I did also come across another mystery. The "flex" hose between the fuel pump and carb was actually a bent steel tube with a partially missing woven covering. I think it was an aftermarket addition!

The "flex" hose:

Attach file:

jpg  (101.17 KB)
2964_4dab676868d89.jpg 1296X968 px

Posted on: 2011/4/17 17:20
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ken P, The wrapped fuel pump to carburetor fuel line is common, but probably not original. I believe it was an after sale attempt to insulate the line to mitigate vapor lock. My 115C did not have a wrapped line, but my '47 Custom Clipper does have one. Depending upon age of the wrapping material, it could be asbestos.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/17 21:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No knowledge about those years and models but Eights & Super Eights around 1934 +/- had the pump-to-carburetor line sheathed with some type of insulating loom. I've got a few fragments of what I believe was the original material somewhere - didn't check to see if it's listed in the parts book but will do so tomorrow.

PS:

Pump to carburetor fuel line insulator wrap,

P/N 209941 for 33-36 Eights
P/N 209379 for 33-36 Super Eights

Source: 1933-36 Eight & Super Eight parts manual. I didn't check for other years and models. The wrap is a very snug fit, looks like it was slipped over the line before the ends were flared. Line is nickel-plated.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 22:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
bump. New info added to last post.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 8:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Restoration Supply has 1/4 and 1/2 ID replacement sleeving.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 9:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Original pump to carb line 33-36 Eights and Super Eights was 5/16 OD. Poor picture of the original insulating wrap below. I'll try for a better view of the texture of the wrap.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.24 KB)
177_4dac48252a314.jpg 1200X976 px

jpg  (47.44 KB)
177_4dac495ba6bd0.jpg 752X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/4/18 9:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Finding the exact weave and size may be interesting. Seems they skip 5/16 entirely--although possibly the stuff is flexible enough that 1/2 will "pull down" and shrink diameter without opening the weave too much.

Here is another place with more sizes, somewhat similar weave, and probably the supplier Restoration Supply uses. Also might be a source for other kind of wraps that seem to be used on the older cars. $25 minimum though.http://www.engineheatprotection.com/products.html

Posted on: 2011/4/18 10:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 24 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved