Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 148

Jack Vines, BigKev, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Tires, no biased answers or radical suggestions please!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure, that could be the case. I don't know if "seconds" are even offered on the market any more, maybe so. PS - many years ago I bought some Kelly-Springfield "seconds" and the word "SECOND" was branded into the sidewall. Perhaps a legal requirement of the time, perhaps the vendor's way of protecting himself against claims?

There was a time when I wanted whitewalls and was budget-limited that I bought "blems", slight imperfections in the whitewall but otherwise not imperfect. At one time these were heavily discounted, maybe as much as 25% off. Rarely advertised but almost always available in limited numbers.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 10:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Pat

Does this help at all?

http://www.northhantstyres.com/vintage-tyre-search-final/70017.htm

Based in Northampton. If I can help in anyway let me know

Ken

Posted on: 2011/4/21 12:18
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
HMMMMMMMMM, very interesting, I actually was offered these tyres at a great price, they were sold less tax and with a 20% discount on top.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 12:20
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1934 PACKARD 1101 CLUB SEDAN
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Irish. Is there a date code on your failed tyres????

Out of a total of how many tires have failed??? All failed the same way??? All the same brand of tire???

Several months ago someone posted at this forum about REproduction tires recently purchased having date code over 10 years old.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 16:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Very interesting thread on treads. As to the out of round tires, they can be shaved to make them round - if you can find somebody who does.

Interesting video at Jay Leno's Garage - (http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/1932-packard-twin-six/188063/) see the video on his twin 6 at about 5 to 6 minutes where he discusses his problem on shimmy.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 18:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote:.....Our friends from "down under" are a great bunch for touring long distances; Mal - what are your observations and what do you hear?
First I'd like to give to Dave for putting me on the spot! How could I refuse?

Seriously, my direct Packard touring experience is relatively limited being a Packard owner for less than 4 years. However in that time I've participated in 2 National Packard Rallies and a couple of Regional Rallies.

I've never had a problem with the tyres on my cars, both equipped with radials, although they ride harder being based on light truck 8 ply carcasses. The '38 came equipped that way, while I changed to WWW Diamondbacks in the '41 about 9 months after it was back on the road. The '41 had previously been equipped with more modern tyres which were rubbing on the front suspension because of their wider section. And I know my mate Wade told the guy who bought his '37 120 Touring Sedan that in the twenty years he owned it he'd never had a tyre problem in fact he didn't even have a jack in the car. Of course the new owner then experienced a puncture half an hour after picking it up, but that could happen to anybody!

Last year the Packard National Rally was on Kangaroo Island about 900 miles each way from Sydney where I live plus a lot of local runs while there. The only tyre problems I heard about were 1) the result of tube failures in older tyres(Firestones?) and 2) young Mat, Packard34 wearing out a front tyre(Lester) because of a bent front axle, since fixed.

I believe the debate here in Oz is not about the merits of the tyres in use, mostly Diamondbacks, Cokers and Lesters but about radials V bias ply and originality V modern. In my time in the Packard Club here, haven't heard any tales of tyre woes such as Pat has experienced. Pat has also recently posted some videos and here's another one of his. If these are typical Irish roads then those shouldn't be a problem, although if I remember correctly Pat did have a problem hitting a pothole at one time. But that could happen here too or anywhere for that matter.

Sorry I can't be more detailed. Maybe other Aussies would like to share their experiences and/or knowledge on this subject?

Attach file:

jpg  (36.68 KB)
226_4db1077a18e4b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (20.34 KB)
226_4db1078a84a0c.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2011/4/21 23:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Good morning World,

Indeed I did go into a major pothole at one stage, while it broke the shock linkage, there was no tire damage. The tyre woes predate that experience.

6 of the 8 tyres, all Lesters, have/had problems, from bulging sidewalls to crown seperation to 'white lines' appearing on the black shoulder.

I will check to see if there is a manufacture date later today.

KTS68, thanks for the link and the offer of any help. .

No reply from Lester to my email yet, hopefully that will change.

Regards,

Pat.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 3:07
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
On contactoing Lester Tire. The Lester Tire brand is owned by UNIVERSAL Tire Co in Pennsylvania. Universal Tire is owned by Coker Tire. You are dealing with Coker Tire . Contact Universal Tire

Posted on: 2011/4/22 6:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi Fred,

Now I'm confused, who do I contact, the Tire Co or Coker Tire?

I cant find any contact details for The Tire Co.

Regards,

Pat.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 7:13
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ozstatman writes:
"I've never had a problem with the tyres on my cars, both equipped with radials, although they ride harder being based on light truck 8 ply carcasses. "

Note that they are based on a TRUCK carcass. Probably the key to choosing any reproduction tire.

The question to ask when buying a reproduction:
"what construction/type/kind/style/make/application (or any other word u can think of) carcas is the REproduction tire made from??"

Posted on: 2011/4/22 7:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved