Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 189

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: East Grand Blvd., Conner Ave. or even Moscow?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's just fine Kev, but the subject is related to the Merlin engine production as the move to Briggs was made to provide plant space and pave the way for wartime production including the Merlin.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave, not least because of its own dynamics but additional to emphasize the importance of this single aspect I asked Kevin to open a new thread. It is as you said, the subject is related to the Merlin engine production. To reconnect both threads I left a link at the --> trailhead.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 12:44
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
It would have made sense for Packard to move its traditional body production to Briggs in mid-1940, along with the Clipper body development, for all the 19th series bodies. Especially, if gaining more factory floor space for war production needs was a priority.

According to data in Robert Turnquist's book: Clipper production was 16,600 and all traditional bodied production was 56,255.

It would not have made good business sense for Packard to move the traditional body production to Briggs for the 20th series as only a total of 22,451 cars were produced with most of them being the Clipper bodied ones.

Clearly, the Clipper did not supersede the traditional bodied Packards for the 1941 model year, but it did in 1942.

O_D has shown us a photo of a body number tag on a non-Clipper, does anyone else out there with a 1941 or 1942 non-Clipper have a Briggs body tag on their Packard?

Can't wait to see more on the BOD minutes.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/16 14:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think the answer to all these question lie in the Chrysler archives in Detroit. As I believe all of Briggs achieves are part of their collection.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 14:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...PS - should I get hardcopy of the the 4/10/40 Board Minutes, I'll try to quote from them or scan a few lines to put what I think should be the final wrapper on this topic.

I can hardly wait to see the details.

Quote:
...As to the long-standing myth that won't die about the conventional body dies going to Russia, it's just that and has been rather conclusively proven a number of times by direct comparison of the cars. Some very small parts were identical and might have come from Packard or their suppliers, for example some instrument panel parts. Radio "waterfalls" for example are identical...

Below again a quotation from "The Fall of the Packard Motor Car Company", available for example at Amazon.com that stands up to critism.

Author: James A. Ward
ISBN: 0804724571
Publisher: Stanford University Press (September 1, 1995)

Attach file:

jpg  (28.33 KB)
757_4f14805d78a09.jpg 730X211 px

Posted on: 2012/1/16 14:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

1942-45 PACKARD FACTORY IN MOTHBALLS DURING THE WAR-B&W

Photo courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I think the answer to all these question lie in the Chrysler archives in Detroit. As I believe all of Briggs achieves are part of their collection.

[picture source: www.allpar.com]

Attach file:

jpg  (27.45 KB)
757_4f14841c0333a.jpg 492X357 px

Posted on: 2012/1/16 15:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
museum AMO ZIL

Weeks ago my Russian translator (she comes from Latvia) visited the ZIL factory museum in Moscow and asked for access to the archive. The managerial personnel refused to reveal any document on the basis that ZIL is an armaments company. It hadn't been the first attempt, it won't be the last attempt.

ZIL-432730E

sources
pic #1: www.s2.image1.org
pic #2: www.amo-zil.ru]

Posted on: 2012/1/16 16:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Gusha, It seems to me inconceivable that during WW2 when the German U-boats were attacking the Allied convoys crossing the Atlantic and on the even more deadly Murmansk run that the USSR and Packard would be concerned about obsolete stamping dies for cars when it had the industrial means to manufacture such vehicles as the T-34 tank in vast numbers after the German invasion of June 1941.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:

PS - should I get hardcopy of the the 4/10/40 Board Minutes, I'll try to quote from them or scan a few lines to put what I think should be the final wrapper on this topic.

O_D, have you had a chance to look at the board minutes? It would be nice as you say to put a final wrapper on this. Regards.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/27 17:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved