Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 76

29tons, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Side Mirror Glass Replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Kev -

Based on the details shown in your images - that is, the cut of the stem (Mirror1) and the projecting locating pin (Mirror5), you definitely have an example of the belt moulding type mirror (PA422809) for 51-54 cars.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 22:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Kev -

The 55-56 mirror requires a bracket for mounting directly on to the door or fender panel. The locating pin cast in the base is ground flush on the 55-56 mirror; the fiot of the bracket to the inside of the hollow casting is what keeps the mirror base from rotating on the 55-56 cars. One special screw then holds the mirror to the bracket, as original.

The screw supplied with the American Arrow mirror for 55-56 was a repro - made by taking a short Allen set screw and welding a washer (of appropriate O.D. to fit the offset in the bracket) to the pointed end of the screw.

For the 51-54 belt moulding mirror, I don't see any mounting bracket needed under the molding in either the text or figure provided in the shop manual installation instructions. Other than a drilling fixture and instruction sheet, I believe that the ONLY piece of hardware included with the 51-54 belt moulding mirror was ONE special mounting screw. However, it must reach beyond the bottom of the mirror, the molding, and to the inside of the the door outer panel (beneath the molding).

I can't tell, from our shop manual archive, if the 51-54 original was so fancy as to be a washer head screw with the threaded end broached to provide the Allen hex recess. However, if you can determine the internal thread size in the mirror base, I suspect that you could make a reasonable facsimile by taking a sufficiently long Allen set screw and welding on a washer with an O.D. that just wiggles through the specified 15/32" I.D. hole in the door skin.

Are you thinking you need some sort of bracket to prevent collapsing the belt moulding?

Posted on: 2012/2/17 22:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Not to get off topic, but are these side mirrors really rare? I never see them. Did people back then not find them necessary for driving and did not buy them for their cars?

Posted on: 2012/2/17 23:21
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
...are these side mirrors really rare?

Yes, but it's not like they simply fell off the cars.

I never found many Packards with holes where mirrors used to be, but side view mirrors weren't required, by law, until 1966 - even then, only driver's side.

I suspect that dealers found it more profitable to procure cheap aftermarket units for higher profit.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 23:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm wondering if without a law requiring them they just did not sell. I don't recall if there was one on any of Dads cars, but if it cost and wasn't required or needed, doubt it. Most of the roads in NM then was two lane so not a lot of need.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 23:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
My dad mounted a pair of OE mirrors on the front fenders of his '56 Exec, which had twin rear electric antennas. He said it gave a good additional view to the rear without having to take your eyes very far off the road ahead, but I suspect that it was as much for looks.

I hope to do same, replacing the Yankee type mirros on my Carib H/T.

The Pats will have 'em on at least one of the doors; I thini it would look to crowded on the front fender of those cars, with an antenna already on the front fender.

With all this discussion, I'm feel mysef being pulled into the mirror repro business, but it ain't gonna happen under present economic conditions.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 23:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've wondered in recent years as Jay has spoken of giving up the business, who is going to purchase his tooling and sources. I have one of his hinge-pin mirrors on my 34, not quite an exact replica of the original, but functional and very well made and finished.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 9:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well, I have neither the finances nor expertise to take on the broad variety of Jay's product line.

I was just thinking of starting off from scratch in the shallow end of the pool (and avoiding anything that involves licensing fees), but don't see even that happening any time soon.

Still, I hope someone picks up and continues with the good work that he has done for dacades in the old car hobby.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
BigKev,
Seems like that is the mirror off of Ebay that I've seen recently. I'm looking for a drivers side one myself which is why I didn't try for that one.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 0:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
There is no such thing as a driver vs. passenger side (or LH vs. RH) in the line of OE side view mirrors that we've been discussing (thus far). The part books application listings clearly state "RIGHT OR LEFT" for the 51-54 (PA422809) and the 55-56 (PA469482) mirrors.

These mirrors were designed to fit either side. You simply flip the paper drilling template over for RH installation on 55-56 cars. I've never installed a 51-54 mirror, but it looks like you should be able to simply apply the layout lines to either door.

Image below is excerpted from the '51 accessories brochure; the head can be rotated for use on either side of the car.

However, there is ONE listing in the 48-54 parts book for a remote-controlled side view mirror for the 51-54 (PA457896), but for "LEFT HAND SIDE" only. Not shown in any of the available brochures that I'm aware of. I've never personally seen one of these units on a Packard, but suspect it was cable-controlled.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.07 KB)
103_4f413e527beba.jpg 500X192 px

Posted on: 2012/2/19 13:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved