Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 28 29 30 (31) 32 33 34 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I was inspired by Wades tune-up on his media blaster, and did the same housekeeping. New media, and a new glass protector.

With the housekeeping done I was able to finish blasting the drums and backing plates. The first picture says everything. If anyone was ever deciding if they would buy a media blaster, then look at the first picture. Done with a $100 Harbor Freight blaster cabinet. Also while I was Harbor I bought a 3/4" torque wrench. I didnt have one that went up to 300lbs, which is what I am going to need to reassemble the rear hub nut.

So I finished the blasting, and wiped everything down with thinner to remove and residue oil\grease. The sprayed the drums and backing plates with gloss black.

I do have a question about the outer seals. What is the part number from the store? Is it just the rubber seal? or is it the entire plate?

Pictures follow;

Attach file:

jpg  (89.80 KB)
1_4973d4175d481.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (86.14 KB)
1_4973d42637c80.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (65.37 KB)
1_4973d4362c53f.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (64.69 KB)
1_4973d44ae189c.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (72.54 KB)
1_4973d463460b3.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/1/18 20:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
I want a media blaster! Thanks for the detailed pictures Kev. These are going to help A LOT when I get back into my 52.

Posted on: 2009/1/18 20:20
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You are more than welcome. One thing about the service manuals is they assume you have done something similar before. But if you are relative notice like me that is learning as your go, then hopefully these project blogs will help the next guy out that has similar questions.

On that rear oil seal, I went looking at Max's website, and I found this. Unless I can find a better price ($95.00), then I think this is what I will have to order.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.91 KB)
1_4973ed2b8188e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/1/18 22:02
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Look CLOSELY at the seal on your car. Does it have a number on it???? Most likely stamped on the metal flange. Could be moulded into the neoprene. Mite have to remove the seal first to see the numbers.

Posted on: 2009/1/18 22:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looking at the pictures on the vendors websites, it looks like the outer seal is that entire plate. My plate contained no part numbers and I fully pulled it apart.

I just checked Kanter's site, and they have the same kit for $75. So it looks like I will be doing that. I also need to order the replacement waterpump. I'll give them a call in the morning if they are open.

More cash out the window...but at least I will know that those parts are taken care of and not neglected. So it looks like I am going to pull the axles out to replace the inner seal, and repack the bearings.

Posted on: 2009/1/18 22:42
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i ordered that exact kit from Max. looks to be good to go, quality parts. national seals.

Posted on: 2009/1/18 23:53
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Don't have their number handy, but you can look them up. I have been using A & P Bearing in Canoga Park, Ca. for over twenty years and just about always manage to come up with what ever bearing or seal I need. And usually a lot cheaper.
I believe they are on Canoga Ave. If you can prove you are some sort of garage the discount is bigger. Here is where your pest of a brother in law or neighbor comes in handy.
Many times just call with dimensions and they can help
Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 0:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
And don't forget to check axle end play. Make sure you have approximately the same amount of shims on either side. Tap the axles to one side, then with a dial indicator see how many thousands end play there is and consult the manual.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 0:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Tolandis, thanks for the info and advice.

Does anyone have a National or other Seal MFG part number for the inner and outer rear seals? There was no part number or mfg stamp on the outer seal plate.

I am usually pretty good at finding a modern replacement part number if I have an original (non-Packard) part number to work from. If anyone has an old National seal catalog and could look it up for me, then I would appreciate it. I dont want to spend $75 if I can get the seals way cheaper at Napa. But I need to have a part number to start with.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2009/1/19 1:46
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I just ended up biting the bullet, and ordered the rear axle seal kit and water pump from Kanter. I want to keep the project momentum going and I know how I am. Once I walk away from it, it takes me awhile to get back to it.

Once the parts arrive, I will send my old pump back and recover my core charge. In the mean time I will get back in the garage and see about getting those rear axles pulled so I can remove the bearings and inners seals.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 13:31
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 28 29 30 (31) 32 33 34 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved