Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 31 32 33 (34) 35 36 37 ... 39 »

Re: A Tale of Two Patricians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The ignition switch is out and the rebuilt one installed but I decided to test the old one too just to be sure it was the problem. It shows a connection between the battery and start terminals when in the run position so that explains why it was tying to crank by itself! After installing the rebuilt switch, it cranks with the key as it should. Haven’t started it, though, as the battery was a bit weak so it is currently on the charger.

Posted on: 2021/12/10 17:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There is a large gauge red wire that connects to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid so obviously for something that needed power all the time. It’s disconnected now and before I connect it again, does anyone know what it’s for? I know that the wiring diagrams are here but I am at the shop limping along with virtually no Internet and only a mobile device.

Attach file:

jpeg  0AEFFC45-069F-4820-8E6B-2FB528BCE990.jpeg (124.29 KB)
60923_61b3daf122de6.jpeg 1280X958 px

Posted on: 2021/12/10 17:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You may need to trace that one out. Something outside the loom is typically for an option and that wire which does appear to be fairly large would be for something drawing a lot of current.

51-3 had a separate large red wire supplying the horn relay but the only red wire connecting to the bat post that I see on the 54 diagram is the one seen going into the loom which is the main power supplying the car. They show the horn going to a splice off that wire for 54. I am not 100 percent sure but I think the 51-3 horn wires, while separate, were also in the loom.

Does the car have factory AC? Drawings show that as being powered thru the ign switch into a power relay but that may be an error because they also show a 30 amp fuse in that line. Packard usually did not have something needing that large a draw fed directly thru the ign switch. Things that had large fuses or breakers such as OD, TL, Windows, and AC were usually in separate wires off the solenoid bat terminal.

Posted on: 2021/12/10 19:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard. I don't have factory A/C but have been looking for one, or a parts car with it. No power windows either although it does have the 4-way electric seat. Maybe that's it as, no that I think of it, it gets power all the time.

The battery wasn't weak after all, just not a firm connection to the post. On the ignition switch, it starts and turns off the car properly but I noticed that I can remove the key only in the Accessory position. Since that's purely mechanical and the tumbler can go in only one way, any idea what's causing it? It's the same tumbler and key it has had in it for all its existence.

Posted on: 2021/12/10 19:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That could be the 4 way seat and I don't have a diagram for that option handy but if on all the time, stands to reason if nothing else fits.

Posted on: 2021/12/10 19:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, it does and I didn't think of it when I posed the question! Nothing else would make sense.

Posted on: 2021/12/10 19:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Do the heater and fresh air controls have a light? I noticed a bulb hanging down below them when I replaced the ignition switch and otherwise can't think of what else might be illuminated in that area.

Posted on: 2021/12/11 19:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nothing shows on the wire diagrams for lights in that area and from what I see in the owners manual the vent control levers just stick thru slots in the solid chrome center piece with the function labels embossed and filled with paint so no openings light can come thru.

Believe the lighted 55-6 models use the same lever housing assys but 54 does not have the labeled clear plastic inserts light can shine thru. The later light sockets are attached to a long -- approx 3" --flat stalk that friction slides over a side edge of the lever housing and positions the bulbs deep down between the levers almost touching the dash.

If it is just a bulb and socket any chance the bulb fell out of a hole in the cluster. The only bulbs that are showing as being out of the cluster are for courtesy lights, glove box and ign sw.

Posted on: 2021/12/11 20:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard. I suspected as much and you’re right, it is very likely an instrument cluster light that has popped out.

Posted on: 2021/12/11 21:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although I am not currently at my shop, I’ve been working on the solid state voltage regulator conversion after learning that the source I had planned on using isn’t a full solid state conversion. Instead it simply replaces one of the relays with a diode.

It’s taken a week or two but I have gotten the schematic drawn by reverse-engineering another solid state regulator but having said that, is there an electronics engineer here who can help me flesh it out? I would like my schematic examined and corrected as needed, then help with making it switchable to positive ground and possibly switchable in output amperage.

Right now it is switchable between 6v and 12v but it is negative ground only. Also, perhaps a little too high in amperage as it’s rated at 40A when 35A to 38A would be a little better. Please PM me if you’re willing and able to help!

Posted on: 2022/1/1 22:13
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 31 32 33 (34) 35 36 37 ... 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved