Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 118

Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 33 34 35 (36) 37 38 39 ... 45 »

Re: 51Packards....52 Packard 200 Deluxe!
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I just wondered, I had seen where so on the comments had said they stripped the threads out of it.

John

Posted on: 2016/12/13 9:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I bet that could happen with any of them if the hub is stuck or the shoes are not loosened. The design doesn't seem to be a problem. Buy with confidence!

Posted on: 2016/12/13 19:21
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
4-15-17

Beautiful day in Wisconsin today so I "rushed" a quick car prep because I was eager to drive it again. I wanted to change the oil, but no time for that. It was too nice not to be driving! I did check it and it was still full. Seems like the car has not lost any oil since the last oil change and my 20 mile or so drives. Tires were perfectly inflated, but I noticed both rear tires appear to suffer from the hubcap "creep" that has been posted here before and were putting pressure on the rubber valve stems. I removed and repositioned the hubcaps and will have to convert to metal valve stems at some point. Finished the prep by wiping off the seats...no headliner and the black insulation is still falling off the roof in places leaving black residue on the seats. I would have left it, but the family decided to come so had to at least make her look decent!

Did my usual 20 mile route with no issues. Car ran very well. Overdrive still appears to not be working so I want to address that this season. Decided to end the drive with a stop at the local lighthouse.

If you have read my blog before you might recall the incident I had last year going to the same lighthouse where I could not get the car into reverse when leaving.

In order to avoid this embarrassing problem again, I parked in a flatter area, kept the car in neutral and relied on my parking brake that I had fixed.

Time at the lighthouse was very enjoyable, except with the thoughts in the back of my head about the car not going into gear or not starting when we were leaving.

After about 15 minutes, we decided to go. Got in the car and tried to start it. It gave 4 turns and then nothing! NOOOOO! Not again! Is this place cursed?

Popped open the hood and sprayed starter fluid down the carb hoping it would catch on the next turn of the engine. Went to try to start again and nothing! Dash lights but no starter noise.

At this point my wife was getting pretty panicked (and pissed). She asked 5 times what's wrong and how much is this going to cost to fix!???

Rooting around under the hood, I disconnected and reconnected the battery. This made the car turn over a few seconds and then nothing again!

By now I'm completely embarrassed and freaking out in my head that I'm going to have to tow the car.

I tried to calm down and think out the problem. Felt around the wires and noticed the battery cable to the starter solenoid moved. I gave it a twist to tighten it and gave it a try again. VRRROOOMMM! The car came to life again. I closed the hood as quick as I could and got the heck out of there!

I doubt we will be returning to the lighthouse anytime soon. Lesson learned...do not rush the pre-season check before driving your car! Check fluids, tires and loose connections!

We are home safe and sound now. Even drove around the neighborhood after to regain confidence in the car. Hopefully the next voyage will be uneventful!

Posted on: 2017/4/15 19:50
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Been fighting with my turn signal and high beam lights. I went so far as to rebuild the sockets again. They work great outside of the car but once back in the car they are finicky. Seems like a bad ground but no amount of sanding the socket or instrument housing seems to fix it. Also the filter on my high beam appears to have some kind of cork looking material in it. It's supposed to be blue isn't it?

Posted on: 2017/4/24 19:12
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the instrument cluster to dashboard or the dashboard to body mounting ground is poor that could also cause the problem as well as cause another one with the instrument voltage regulator. You might try adding some terminals to a piece of wire and run an extra ground between one of the speedo mounting screws on the cluster and another screw going into some body metal.

The high beam indicator light is red and the turn signal indicator is green. I don't recall any cork used but I think the lights are in a cardboard tube that spans the distance between the bulb and the holes in the speedo face. IIRC the color is a filter taped over the holes. The colors in my 47 were faded and burned but I was able to replace them by getting some colored plastic from a hobby store and making new color filters. The bare color alone was too transparent and the bulb filaments showed thru so I softened the look by adding a layer of very thin white styrene behind the color. I have some material left over so if you want to replace yours PM me an address and I'll stick some in an envelope.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.99 KB)
209_58fe9f4b5e552.jpg 500X412 px

Posted on: 2017/4/24 20:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks Howard, we are on the same page with adding a ground wire to the instrument panel. The thing I'm surprised about is the speedo cable is a ground and the lights are still giving fits. I'll add a wire anyway and maybe wrap some bare wire around the bulb housings to be extra sure. It's a minor but annoying bug especially since I have changed all the wiring.

Attached are some pics of the "filters" that were on my bulbs. One is amber (maybe faded red, but I do not see any hint of red on it). That was on the turn signal indicator. The other is a weird red lens, but with some kind of cork backing that blocks all light! It must be some kind of repair but why would anyone think that would work? No wonder I thought my high beam indicator never worked! The turn signal light (amber) is also very loose in the housing. The high beam (and non transparent) lens is tight in the housing.

Thanks for the offer for the colored styrene. My wife thinks she has some at her work so I will try that first.

Of course my other instrument panel is packed away and very inaccessible so I cannot check those filters.

As an aside, I also rebuilt the rear dome light switches (I added an extra one on the passenger side since I had an extra switch) since they were not working anymore. I had rebuilt them before, but they got corroded very quickly.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.04 KB)
508_5907c603aae72.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (29.15 KB)
508_5907c61609165.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (27.66 KB)
508_5907c62db752b.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (23.48 KB)
508_5907c637d3d65.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (29.93 KB)
508_5907c6435375d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2017/5/1 18:36
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
5-2-17

My wife brought home some colored plastic sheets in red and green. They were very thin and very translucent. The light from my flashlight easily overpowered the color. I tried adding some tissue paper to it, but that made the red very pink looking.

Decided to cut some small squares out of the plastic and stack them together with double sided tape in between the layers to hold them together. I stacked them until the color showing with my flashlight was pleasing.

I popped out the cardboard/plastic piece that was in my old filter holder. It was a good fit and looked die cut, but no way would Packard have done that. It looks like it would have been for some kind of delete option, but why not just take the bulb out and who would want to delete a high beam or turn signal indicator? Weird.

Anyway the layers held together well and I put a piece of tissue paper on the stack and used the old plastic to trace the circle.

The thickness of the stack made it fit in the groove easily. Both colors came out pretty good. The dash looks like Christmas now!

I only ran a temporary wire from the bulb socket of the turn signal to the metal on the dash and it worked a lot better so I need to come up with some way to ground. I will probably use multiple points to make sure I don't have to take the instruments out again for a long time.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.74 KB)
508_59093679c1ef0.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (35.95 KB)
508_590936abcac6d.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (29.71 KB)
508_590936c84fab7.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (109.75 KB)
508_590936d20dec5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2017/5/2 20:48
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Colors look good. How far is the bulb away from the plastic. I see a lot of red from the oil and gen lights showing on the instruments. Maybe it is just reflection from the glass shining back that the camera picked up. Is there a cardboard tube or something similar spanning the distance between the bulb and metal sleeve holding the plastic so that the illumination is confined to the oval windows?

Posted on: 2017/5/2 21:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I think it is the reflection off the glass. The oval holes do not have cardboard on them, just the metal holder which is the same distance as the other bulbs would be. I do not recall seeing any cardboard on any of the bulb holders. I might be missing them?

Posted on: 2017/5/2 21:38
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
5-7-17

In am effort to fix my dash lights I ran a ground wire from a mount screw on the Speedo to the voltage regulator. I know I didn't have to go that far to find ground but it will be easy for me to see if there were still problems. The ground helped with the turn signal bit not the high beam. Also my oil and bat lights were working sporadically. I added a bare ground wire from the Speedo mount and wrapped it tightly around the bulb sockets. That seemed to do the trick and also revealed the bat light was staying on! Well that kept me from taking a drive today.

I checked the wiring and saw the middle wires on the voltage regulator had come off! I replaced those thinking problem solved ... but no!

Some time later of more wiring review and I saw the middle wire on the generator had come off! WTF! Why would that happen and what are the odds? I replaced that connector with a round connector and problem solved! That was a relief...I didn't want to remove the generator but I'm bummed I couldn't go for a ride today.

Posted on: 2017/5/7 18:03
[url=h
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 33 34 35 (36) 37 38 39 ... 45 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved