Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
180 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 180

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Knee-Action Shocks- Work Best with Fluid!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Joe,

When filling the shocks with oil, use a small plastic bottle with a tapered nozzle like those for lead replacement additives. Just did the shocks on my '50 using this method and with careful, gentle squeezing didn't spill a drop. The bottle I used has a 50ml(1.7 fl ozs) capacity.

Posted on: 2018/2/24 22:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

58survivor
See User information
Resurrecting this old post to address a similar problem. I'm simply trying to determine the fluid level in the front shocks of my 1940 160 Super Eight Club Sedan and add fluid if necessary. I'm having the same trouble noted in post #25 of this string where the original poster noted that the fill screw butts up against the splash pans when trying to remove them. I didn't see how he got around that problem.

1) Must I remove the splash pans to get the fill screws out? Seems like a lot of work for a simple maintenance procedure.
2) Do the splash pan bump outs from the engine bay that protrude into the wheel well come off the splash pans so that I can just take them off and gain better access to the fill screws? I can't tell if they are spot welded to the splash pans or just pinched/pressed/rusted together. Just removing the bump out would seem a lot less complicated.
3) I have enough room to get an open end wrench onto the fill screw heads and managed to get the left one loose but don't have enough clearance to fully remove it. The right side was already rounded off so I will need more height room to get a grip on the head for removal. I have no choice but to remove the bump out or full splash panel for that one. How much of a PITA is removing and reinstalling those panels. I don't have an extra set of hands very often and it looks like a 2 person job.

Posted on: 2/27 17:12
Joe L
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
A tip on filling shocks. Found on the AACA Forums

Animal feeding syringes in various sizes from the pet store work well to fill shocks, steering boxes, and other small voids. Those with curved tips are especially useful for filling shocks.

Posted on: 2/29 14:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved