Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 68

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Dave's 2279 restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
That's cool. My glove box one was missing.I think your analysis of the codes is right on. I have one remaining question. Do you, or anyone, know what the first four digits are for? Mine shows 1435.

Since the build code lists the -9 I guess that settles the discussion about only holdover 1948 cars were numbered that way. And that the ID plates were removed and sent back for renumbering. Probably some were, but, evidently not all.

Another point of question is that my car, when I got it was Packard Ivory, paint code T. The paint code on the firewall used to show T. It has since disappeared. I have maintenance records for the car since it was sold new at Country Club Packard in Kansas City. Actually, I have the delivery to County Club from the Zone dealer as well. The maintenance records show the car was repainted by the dealership in 1955. However, it does not mention the color. If it was a color change it was probably the most comprehensive one in history. The ivory color was in the trunk under the carpets, beneath the windlass trim, and every other place I have looked.

Quite a mystery. Thanks for your information.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 18:47
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
No, I don't know what the first 4 digits represent (I'd like to know myself). I think my sheet has 6713, only the 67 is really legible. I believe the number following the paint code is the production sequence number for the model starting with 2001. Mine is way off compared to the data plate ... this may be related to the re-issue of the plate I can't be sure.

Posted on: 2008/9/19 23:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
One more code:
OB - Oil Bath Air Cleaner (per the '56 code list provided by Brian)

Posted on: 2008/9/20 8:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved