Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Fuel Pump Leaking
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's really a good idea to take an occasional look at the fuel pump pivot pin while browsing under the hood, and especially so on the V8 Packards. I have 2 friends who lost the pivot pin with the result that the arm fell into the timing chain area, ruined the chain, both gears, and then punctured the aluminum cast timing chain cover. Others have reported the same result to me.

56GHMD said he saw oil leaking at the pivot pin which should be fixed promptly or at the least, monitored very closely as the pivot point of the arm is internal and the pin should be securely fixed to the housing. Leaking at the pivot pin sounds to me like a poor pump rebuild job and the situation is likely to get nothing but worse.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 8:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Pump Leaking
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
who lost the pivot pin with the result that the arm fell into the timing chain area

It has been awhile and memory is fuzzy but IIRC, this was a topic 2-3 years ago. Believe it was determined the factory pin has a groove in the center and located under the arm to be used for a hairpin clip which assists in holding the pin in position. Some of the rebuild kits do not have the groove and rely entirely on staking or tightly fitting cover caps to keep the pin in position. At the time of discussion believe it was one of the rebuild kit pins that had failed and started the topic.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 9:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved