Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 37 »

Re: Randy Berger's 1956 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Eric -

I can only hope that Randy will adopt me someday.

Seriously, I will turn 48 year this year (not quite dead, yet), and even then, I only feel as old when modern life is wearing me down (which has been a lot under the current paradigm of recent years).

Yet, I believe it was the late, great Groucho Marx who once said something along these lines: "You're only as old as the woman you feel."

Posted on: 2007/7/1 17:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I called Dayton Wire Wheel today and the cost of restoration is $650.00 per wheel. Guess I'll be doing half a wheel at a time Bolted the TL motor back in place this AM and am going to hook it up mechanically and electrically this afternoon. Remember Pink&Orange out, Yellow&Blue in. I have pix of the bent spline and rods I will post later.

Posted on: 2007/7/5 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Randy,

Is your Caribbean convertible one of the six that came from the factory with wire wheels? (This according to the Cormorant Autumn 1987 - number 48).

If so, that may take some of the sting out of the restoration cost

Robert.

Posted on: 2007/7/5 16:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds like you could buy reproduction wheels cheaper than getting the original ones restored. A set of 4 from Kanters is $1755.00 (shipping included). Thats $438.75 per wheel. While not exactly cheap either, it would save you almost $1,000.

Just a thought.

Posted on: 2007/7/5 17:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have examined Kanter's wire wheels and I believe my training as a train collector (no pun intended) sways me toward originality. I have five to do for the Carib and one for the 400 - OUCH!
I am inquiring about Kanter's hubcaps however. I don't have any, and repro is preferable to none.
I installed the TL motor today and verified the limit switches are working properly in conjunction with the new control box.
Here's a pic of the bent links and twisted spline.
By the way, I asked Mike Dulinski about a good used TL motor/gearbox in case I couldn't reassemble mine and he quoted a very reasonable price. Shipping hurts a little but Mike has no control over that.
And Kip56, if you know the serial numbers of those six, please post them.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.71 KB)
23_468d922057a1d.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/7/5 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Randy,

The six Caribbean convertibles that had the factory wire wheel option are listed as:

Congrats on the successful reinstallation of the TL motor and repair of the limit switches. Excellent progress. One day I need to send you some pics of my Lionel General Lee train set.

Regards,
Robert.

Posted on: 2007/7/5 21:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Robert, don't get me started on trains or I'll lose the few friends I have. Trains are my #1 hobby - Packards are second.
I collect primarily IVES from 1904-1930 and Dorfan from 1926 till they quit some time in the mid-thirties.

Posted on: 2007/7/5 23:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Randy,

With your extensive knowledge of Packards, and it being your #2 hobby, I can only imagine your passion for trains!
I am fortunate to have a single Lionel train set that was a wedding gift to my parents. I break it out every Christmas. Something very sentimental about those old trains.

Regards,
Robert.

Posted on: 2007/7/6 6:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Rather than post any pictures non-Packard, here is a URL you may find of interest:
http://www.tinplatetimes.com/profiles/Randy/randy.htm

Posted on: 2007/7/6 7:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
WOW! Absolutely fascinating and impressive!! I will keep on the look out for a short cab 3245!

Robert.

Posted on: 2007/7/6 8:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 37 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved