Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 151

BigKev, 109settle, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Fuel system
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the basic wiper vacuum line routing. Note that the long stretch usually rides just above the oil gallery and is clamped to special pipe plugs that have tapped holes for a screw and clamp to be added. You will need to figure the routing and fittings needed to get to the hidden inlet port. Original tubing was 1/4" steel.

On the short curved outlet line to the intake manifold, the drawing shows a 48-50 manifold with a port at the front. On later manifolds the vacuum port is in the square section under the carb at the rear so the line basically follows behind the manifold assy and goes to that location.

EDIT: Since you will need some fittings for the ports rather than try a hard metal to metal tube connection as was done on this pump, follow the later pumps like the one in the following posts and get hose barb fittings that will convert the threaded port to a push on hose barb and use short pieces of rubber vacuum hose to connect to the tubing. I don't remember the thread size on the pump ports but it is either 1/8 or 1/4. I think 1/8 so see if 1/8" NPT to 1/4" hose fittings will work for the vacuum connections. 7/32 vacuum hose should be found at most parts stores and will provide a snug fit on the tube and fittings.

Attach file:

jpg  wiper vacuum supply 48-50.jpg (85.48 KB)
209_63e2e469f2c07.jpg 917X671 px

Posted on: 2023/2/7 18:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Kenken, I invite you to review the parts catalog, especially the ‘plates’ section, which contains drawings/photos of the components and sub-assemblies of your car. The parts catalog artwork was also pasted to the previous thread that Jerome included. You’ll want to look at plate number 86 as a guide . . . that’s likely the source of HH56 diagram. It appears that your particular fuel pump has been re-assembled in a configuration different than original. Note that both the upper section and lower section may be installed on the center section in multiple clocking positions.

The lower port with the pulsation damper (aka weird cylinder/bulb) is definitely the gasoline outlet . . . 180 degrees opposite on the lower casting is the gasoline outlet. Your pump gasoline inlet fitting appears to be pointed directly toward the engine block. I’m not sure that will ever work! I have limited experience on this subject, but I’ve only seen the lower housing ports aligned with the block.

For a while Packard used threaded fittings and steel lines for the vacuum pump (upper section). Later they transitioned to rubber tubing nipples. Your pump is definitely designed for threaded fittings. To be sure which fitting is which stroke the pump while placing a finger over one of the upper ports. The port that has a suction is attached to the wiper motor, while the other port is attached to the intake manifold. If the upper vacuum pump doesn’t work connect the wiper motor to the intake manifold. As Jerome said you can defer the connection of the vacuum section until the engine is running correctly.

dp

Posted on: 2023/2/7 18:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Here are some pictures. Probably do have to reorient. That bowl gasket was designed to be removed and cleaned periodically, maybe it will survive. Should be checked anyhow. Who knows what you have down there.

Attach file:

jpg  20230207_155038.jpg (222.08 KB)
148538_63e2e575f2c06.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  20230207_155058.jpg (88.70 KB)
148538_63e2e589ec175.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  20230207_155141.jpg (139.51 KB)
148538_63e2e5c04037f.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  20230207_155229.jpg (273.59 KB)
148538_63e2e5f3440aa.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  20230207_155240.jpg (193.11 KB)
148538_63e2e615b7a15.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/2/7 19:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don't believe that's the proper pump as the vacuum section should have fittings as hose connector tubes on the same side and parallel to each other while those on the one you showed appeared to have them as threaded holes at an angle to each other. They are not quite visible here but are exactly opposite the two recessed at the top side.

It should look like this but without all the wear to the cam arm!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2023/2/7 19:02
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
No I agree about looking at you know the the plates the parts catalog stuff like that I may have been looking in the wrong spot but what I was looking at showed me it actually showed me the same thing that the other guy did it was just blurry and I couldn't really tell you know where things were going and stuff but no the all my ports like my fuel inlet and outlet they're actually facing mostly facing the fender wall there's no there's nothing facing the block as far as outlets but like I said before I appreciate you guys' opinions and thoughts and and direction honestly cuz this is all new to me and I'm doing it slowly kind of step by step so I appreciate it

Posted on: 2023/2/7 19:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The line from the filter at the carburetor goes straight forward, then bends down to the pump. There is no 90 fitting on it as one earlier photo showed. All these lines should be available new as stainless or steel from Classic Tube, or you can easily get used one. Some people like making their own but I do not when there are plenty other options for getting the proper look.

Hose clamps are not needed on the vacuum lines but I haven't looked to see if the parts book lists them. If they do, they are probably the spring type.

Posted on: 2023/2/7 19:09
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kenken
See User information
Yeah I know that's that 90° fitting that's coming off the fuel filter that attached to the carburetor and that gray hose that's on there that's that was there prior so whoever converted it from the manual pump to the electronic fuel pump did that I was I'll probably get steel lines for it or whatever I was however thinking of just using rubber lines I don't know if that would I mean it should work should be okay I mean it will temporarily anyways until I get the steel lines but the fuel line coming from the fuel tank is actually running up against the firewall right now so I was thinking of just using what's already there and just either getting new wines to form there myself or just use rubber hose with fittings attached

Posted on: 2023/2/7 19:12
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved