Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Re: Disc Brake Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56 wrote: Quote:
Regarding the low location and a modern unit, I would think the remote fill setup would go a long way toward eliminating moisture problems and perhaps a heat shield or insulating material would help the other.

I indeed have a remote fill on my conversion. It is also very convenient since just a glance at it tells me if the brake fluid is low (which it never has been).

Resized Image

A heat shield is worth looking into.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/20 10:57
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
bhappy, just curious. You said that before the incident you had changed the brake light switch and noticed the brake fluid was nearly empty. I'm sure you filled it and bled the system, but did you check the fluid level again after the incident?

I have not had a chance to check the brake fluid level since the incident. I will do so and report back with the results. I also need to check for any leaks (MC, wheel cyls, etc.). I do know that the mechanic that filled the reservoir did so with DOT 3 fluid.

It's a little unsettling to drive thinking that the brakes could fail at any moment.

Bob

Posted on: 2010/9/20 12:12
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Here's the 1999 Ranger booster on my old '56 Patrician, which gives you a good idea of the clearances. I didn't use the Ranger master cylinder, as I wanted something with passenger side line outlets to keep them away from the fenderwell since I had all my pushbutton relays right there.

You can see that the master cylinder itself is well away from the exhaust manifold, and up high where it gets airflow from the fan. And yes, I used the hole where the vent duct was at, it's the simplest and easiest way to do it IMHO.

Quote:
HH56:The heat may well have something to do with it but doubt the angle by itself since they were all the same since introduction. Do believe the angle would be a contributor though since any cooked fluid or debris would just float to the most vulnerable part of the unit, namely the compensator valve which is right at the top with it angled. On the cars with it mounted horizontal there may be enough difference in design where garbage could float & lodge somewhere else.

Regarding the low location and a modern unit, I would think the remote fill setup would go a long way toward eliminating moisture problems and perhaps a heat shield or insulating material would help the other.

I think that right there is what's going on, and why it's a non-issue in the Tri-5 Chevies and cars with it mounted horizontally. Building a heat shield is only going to trap more dirt and debris, as there's all kinds of places stuff can get in there around it. The best thing to do is to put a different booster and master cylinder up high on the firewall, then it's problem solved for good. Remember, you're still dealing with a single line master cylinder, which is dangerous enough as it is.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.97 KB)
34_4c97971fcf200.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.44 KB)
34_4c979728b3c99.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (51.64 KB)
34_4c9797358bcb1.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/9/20 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I have the 56 Exec up on blocks, BTV almost out and ready for the next step. That's where I face my first challenge with this repair. I don't know which option to choose?

1. Craig's beautiful booster/mc w/remote fill reservoir. The only drawback being the pedal arrangement. I have to admit that it is a bit odd looking to those that happen to notice. But with just a few holes and only two brackets to make, it is the easiest option to get a safe and effective system.

2. YDRadio's clean modern booster/mc mounted higher on the firewall with the pedal being mounted in a more conventional manner. I would loose the vent on the drivers side. I need the dimensions of the fabricated parts (mounting plates, standoffs, spacers, etc.) and more complete installation instructions. Do they exist for this install?

I just need some encouragement as to which option to choose. Thanks for all of your help.

Bob

Posted on: 2010/10/2 19:36
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Or you could just do mine, no special standoffs needed, just a plate to reinforce the firewall, available at any Ford dealership. Just mention the "F-Series booster reinforcement recall" to any parts guy older than 40 and they'll know what you need.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 21:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Turbopackman, along with these mounting plates, is there a complete parts list for your conversion? Maybe even a step-by-step procedure that I've missed? I got lost in the ways to get rid of the BTV. My path is getting easier with all of your help, THANKS

Posted on: 2010/10/3 1:19
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See post 31 On page 4 of the following:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2686&forum=12&post_id=27924#forumpost27924

Somewhere in this forum are pics of my Ford conversion which is nearly identicle to Erics conversion and his pictures. Eric is the person that pineered this and it works and is easy.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 7:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2010/10/3 8:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Thanks, I can now get together the parts and install them. I am so appreciative of all of your efforts in relaying info that has been listed in so many different threads. It's easy to get lost, I guess it is like "drinking from a fire hose"

I'll report back with my experiences and some pics if it might help someone else. It'll be a little while though, I do shift work and have to pace my 'Packard time'

BTW-The folks at Max Merritt and Tucson Packard are gone to Hershey, PA for a huge swap meet.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 9:23
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Bhappy, send me a pm and I'll give you my phone # and can walk you through the details.

Posted on: 2010/10/3 16:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved