Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

Re: DESIGN IMITATION?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That looks really nice! I like the slightly taller grille.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Well congratulations, you are the owner of a brand new 1948 Packard Custom Custom. And hey, since you're such a nice guy I'll throw in an Ultramatic for free! If I could only find that key...

Posted on: 2010/11/6 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Sweet! I'm expecting delivery sometime this week!

Posted on: 2010/11/6 21:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What Eric needs for inspiration is that contraption I just saw on a Modern Marvels episode entitled Chrome. A monstrosity with almost every square inch chromed and powered by a PT boat engine. Big "Packard" on the covers. Believe it was called the Chromemobile but haven't found a picture yet. Owner said it gets 1 mile per gallon for those who are complaining about their Packard's 10-15 mileage.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
This thing??:

Click to see original Image in a new window

More info:http://www.classicaldrives.com/50226711/palm_springs_concours_begins_with_a_blast.php

I think they're reporting needs a lot to be desired though:

"What the beautiful people (and one humble journalist) heard, saw, and felt, was a V-12 engine taken from a WW2 PT boat, the same Allison V-12 that powered Mustang and P-38 fighters."

To my knowledge, that PT boat engines are at least twice the size of the Allison engines.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 21:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's it. Surely you could incorporate some of those features on your speedster.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Oh I am, like the no full hood sides and no fenders and the little windscreens. That's about it.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Eric - here's the tall grill version with split windshield for your wallpaper. Had to add a small uplift on the far fender, should have been done on previous.

Would like to check out that chromed monster. It forever boggles my mind the potential number of wild customs lurking out there.

Agree completely on the V12 being the kind of firepower Packard needed to keep Caddy in its place, particularly in the 50s. Always thought a 1954 or 55 Pan American 6-pass coupe and convertible with a lively and efficient SOHC V12 would have finally ended the debate in the marketplace as to which car was on top.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.54 KB)
2060_4cd60faf1a78a.jpg 971X503 px

Posted on: 2010/11/6 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
That monster looks familiar. A few years ago I was doing some mods on a car at a shop just north of Dayton and some of the guys were working on a beast very much like this. I remember the day they fired it up. Shock waves blasted through my body. It was a car thrill unlike any other.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I've always thought that a perfect engine to drop in a '54 and back straight eight car would be either a Mercedes or BMW V12 engine with accompanying transmission. I like the BWM engine because they're usually cheaper and more plentiful. If I could find one locally for peanuts it'd be in the '48 in a heartbeat:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

jpg  (38.62 KB)
34_4cd612bcd290c.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2010/11/6 21:45
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved