Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

BigKev, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: What do I Have ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
I am off the tract some G=5 Down Thanks

Posted on: 2011/8/2 6:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Try NAPA. Their on-line catalog shows it when searching for for GL-5.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 8:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
NAPA, AutoZone, O'Reilly, or any other auto parts store that sells oil and lubricants should have GL-5 gear oil in the weight you want.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/2 11:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings once again friends I got the 1938 running and out of the Barn. I noticed gas poring out of the front passenger side I lifted that side of the hood and found that the fuel pump was leaking some where under the top part of the fuel pump. This fuel pump is very different than any old one I have seen. It looks to be a "two terr" type of pump and it seems to be leaking from under the top terr. Is there any special way to remove it from the side of the block and would I be able to fix it. and what could be making it leak!it is really pumping the fuel out. thanks

Posted on: 2011/8/3 21:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Not familiar with the term "two terr"?? I've been selling fuel pumps for 50 years, never heard of that. The pump is a double action style with two sections., the upper one for vacuum for the wipers and the lower for fuel.

An inspoection will show 2 bolts attaching it to the block, when removing the bolts be careful to save and reuse the phenolic type insulators around the bolts and the phenolic washers under the bolt heads

You can purchase a rebuilt pump which we stock or a rebuild kit sourced elsewhere.

By the way, congratulations.

MOST IMPORTANT SUGGESTION. WHEN WORKING ON A CAR ALWAYS HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER HANDY, THE TYPE FOR FLAMMABLE LIQUID FIRES. STARTING A CAR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A (WOODEN) BARN, A HOME GARAGE OR ANY OTHER ENCLOSED PLACE IS A DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN. IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN EXTINGUISHER AT LEAST BRING MARSHMALLOWS AND INVITE YOUR FRIENDS

Posted on: 2011/8/3 21:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Hey thanks for informing me about the type of pump, since it has two parts to it that is why it looked like there was two parts one on top and another under it. Any idea why it is leaking so badly the fuel just runs out when the motor is running. If it is a two part pump will I have to separate the vacuum top part from the bottom, to sent it in or fix it.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 22:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
It's leaking because it's worn out, the car is 73 years old after all. I'm 66 and by the time I'm 73 I'll be leaking too. The pump has two parts, just like the engine that has 8 cylinders you don;t have to take the engine into 8 parts to work on it.

If the fuel side is worn out so is the vacuum side.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 22:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
After sitting for years as that car apparently has, would not be surprised if the diaphragms were totally hard and cracked the first time moved. Gas could be coming from there but would expect it going into engine as well--not just leaking out. Some pumps of that style have a can or bowl like "reservoir" for want of better word containing a screening element. The bowls are held on by a single bolt. There is a fiber, cork or cardboard like gasket around the edge of the bowl and also a gasket around the screw holding it on. Either or both could be shot or missing allowing a leak.

The pump is removed as a unit via the two bolts Fred mentioned and replaced. The old is either sent complete for exchange or if you buy the rebuild kit, it will contain the needed parts and pump is disassembled and repaired.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 22:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Thanks Guys I am off duty today and will attack it from below and above. I am planing a way to stop the flow of fuel from the rubber line where it goes from the solid line down to the rubber hose then connects to the fuel pump, I may just cut the line and put a bolt in to stop the gas and then take the fuel pump of with the rubber hose and get an rebuilt pump from Mr Kanter and a new hose that goes to the fuel pump, any idea what a fuel pump might set me back. Thanks Dale

Posted on: 2011/8/4 11:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As of a month ago or so, Gould Rebuilders got about $95 for a double-action Packard-style pump. Turnaround about 4 days.

Posted on: 2011/8/4 11:36
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved