Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 38 39 40 (41) 42 43 44 ... 73 »

Re: Mike's 53 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Rear beltline trim around the base of the rear windows installed, rear windows installed, and "Packard Clipper" script installed on the trunk. I put some black paint in the insides of the p, a and e. It looked like there was some paint in there. Don't know if that was original or not. Next up will be to install some interior so the car looks completed when I go for inspection.
Also working on 3 point seatbelts. I made a re-enforcement for the shoulder point on the B pillar, and am not sure if i will attach the reel to the floor, or 1/3 of the way up the B pillar on the floor...The inner wall of the car is not that strong there, but I would also re-enforce that point. With the coupe, having the reel on the floor makes entrance/egress a little difficult.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.18 KB)
657_5856b4c245c5c.jpg 1239X697 px

jpg  (42.80 KB)
657_5856b4cac884e.jpg 1239X697 px

Posted on: 2016/12/18 11:13
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looking good. I think the belt reel on a two door is going to be in the way no matter where you put it because someone getting in the back seat will have to dodge it. I expect they would either step on it or hit it with their lower leg.

Not sure Packard placed any paint in the hollows of the lettering but if they did I wonder if it would have been black on a light color car. In your photos black kind of makes the letters look like big blobs. Maybe it is not as pronounced in actual but if it were body color, I wonder if the solid portion would kind of disappear and look like there was nothing but the lettering. I don't know what green would do and it could make the hollow more noticeable but might be interesting to put some green on a piece of tape and stick it in the hollow to compare.

Posted on: 2016/12/18 12:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I aimed my headlights today. One more thing taken care of before I go for inspection. (Yes, they check if your headlights are properly aimed)
Anyway, this is the nice low beam pattern with distinct cutoff from an H4 headlight. They are required here. Sealed beams are not allowed.
I think Hank runs H4 bulbs. They are a popular upgrade with the european car guys in the US. (Porsche/audi etc)
It is 20 deg F here, so not much packard work going on. I got my new voltage regulator and green windlace, so now I just need to find some time to get things installed.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.84 KB)
657_586ff968c5b76.jpg 1920X1155 px

jpg  (71.04 KB)
657_586ff9868c278.jpg 1920X1366 px

jpg  (74.47 KB)
657_586ff99d54515.jpg 1920X1297 px

Posted on: 2017/1/6 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Replacement part scripts from Packard did not have black inside the closed letters. Beautiful car, beautiful work.

Posted on: 2017/1/6 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Sealed beams are not allowed...

Mike (Tobs), if one is looking for applause in an US-car forum, then all he has to do is to complain bitterly about German red tape. It takes just a couple of minutes to bring -> self-appointed experts in German law like Fred Kanter into the arena.
But different rules in two countries means, that both parties have different rules. Take for example sealed beams. For decades German cars had to be furnished with them, when imported into the US. There is nothing wrong with it, it is just the way it is and has its reasons.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." [William?Shakespeare]

You would like to drive an US-car on German roads. That is why you need to deal with German regulations before dealing with German officials. In Germany (at least not in that Germany I live in), there is no rule to allow or prohibit sealed beams.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.97 KB)
757_5870e36f07796.jpg 500X369 px

Posted on: 2017/1/6 19:27
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The officials, working for the German Technical Control Board (T?V), have a resonsible job. Sometimes they make mistakes and so do I but like me they do not persist in there faults. An owner of a foreign product is well advised to support them by providing data and knowledge. You are much more in Packards as the whole German Control Board. This is hardly surprising, considering that they have to grapple with Swedish chainsaws, Egyptian steam pressure reducing valves and 1953 US-cars. According to Wikipedia they

"...work to validate the safety of products of all kinds to protect humans and the environment against hazards. As independent consultants, they examine factory plants, motor vehicles, energy installations, amusement rides, devices and products (e.g. consumer goods) which require monitoring..."

Let's delve into the subject of sealed beams. The few historically correct ZIS's, approved in the EU have sealed beams installed, using a certificate of exemption, based on an assement, published from the German Light Technology Institute. Being no expert in US-cars I encourage those, who are interested to search for certificates of exemption, related to US-made sealed beams.

Quote:
...I think Hank runs H4 bulbs...

Please find attached further information about US DOT headlamp lenses, marked VOL, VOR or VO.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 148.35 KB; Hits: 35

Posted on: 2017/1/7 6:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi Gusha, I wasnt trying to be negative about TUV, or complain about laws or red tape. I think the H4 lights are much better than the US sealed beams, and wanted to share that with the forum. Some states in the US have no inspection at all, which can be nice for responsible people, but also leads to some people driving unsafe cars. I just wanted to share how thoroughly cars are checked here. I figured most us guys on the forum wouldnt know that.
Anyway, thanks Fred for the compliment. I had found some remnants of paint on the insides of the packard trim, but that must have been from a respray or some previous owner. I'll remove the nail polish one day.

Posted on: 2017/1/7 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I wasnt trying to be negative about TUV...

Mike, sorry for causing a misunderstanding. Many legends related to the T?V are based on superficial knowledge. Don't take it personal. Wherever I can support you to struggle through the German official machinery, I will be happy to do this.

Posted on: 2017/1/7 9:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just dealing with two countries regulations doesn't seem so bad. Think about the auto manufacturer here dealing with 50 states with each having their own interpretation of something. In 1958 when quad headlights were beginning to appear some states allowed it and many did not. That is the reason for some strange front end styling on a few cars where it looks like a relatively small headlight was lost in a large blank space or in other cars where they made ungainly pods to cram in 4 lights. I believe there is still controversy and restrictions over some of the new lighting technologies which emit a blue tint with the light.

Pollution control is another. For years there were cars made to sell in 49 states and then there was California. Mfgs had to build a special version to sell here. As a matter of fact, I think there is still a line item on build sheets of several hundred dollars for California Emissions. Gradually more states adopted the Calif version but I believe a few states still have no requirements and mfgs can sell cars with minimal pollution controls if they choose. There are still any number of aftermarket performance or speed items available everywhere else that cannot be sold or installed on a California car.

Posted on: 2017/1/7 10:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I finally went for a little bit longer drive in the packard today! Around the block and on side streets first, and then a 2 mile drive to the next town and back so I could get cruising in 3rd gear. She is driving well and sounds nice and quiet. I first drove with the OD locked out, then pushed in the knob on the dash. It is nice and quiet with the freewheeling, but also a strange sensation at first. I don,t have the fuse in the OD yet, I just want to go one step at a time.
Two things I noticed. The speedo was not working. I detached the cable from the speedo and drove some.the cable was not spinning. Are speedo cables or the gear different for OD and normal transmissions? I will pull the cable soon and check the integrity of the cable itself...
Second thing is that while braking in a straight line, the car seems to pull to the right when I first apply the brake, but doesnt seem to continue pulling for the rest of the stop. I guess that could be adjustment of the brake shoes. The front end is roughly aligned with string and rulers, so that could also be a factor.
I am so psyched to drive her again, and after my 3 week business trip I will check the brakes, fix the speedo and get her inspected.
Oh, and also re-torqu the cyl head nuts! The picture is me with my first packard, circa 1982 or so.

Attach file:

jpg  (175.28 KB)
657_5895bee1980d0.jpg 1920X1338 px

Posted on: 2017/2/4 6:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 38 39 40 (41) 42 43 44 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved