Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 44 45 46 (47) 48 49 50 ... 146 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There is not much point in getting the other stuff set and adjusted until the joke has been dealt with if it's not sealed. Did you try Napa for it? They used to be easy to find but maybe not so much any more. I likely have some used ones but they are 550 miles away at the moment.

Posted on: 2020/12/9 19:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
The rebuild kit (and Motors manual) didn't go into detail on the choke, so I'm not totally sure what the original setup looks like inside. Also not sure exactly how it all works. I understand the functions of the carb a little better now, but the automatic choke is still a mystery.

If you want to read up on the choke and how it operates there is a Carburetor Training Manual you can download. The choke information or climatic control as it is called starts on page 18.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/49_CarburetorTrainingBook.pdf The manual is written for earlier carbs but the choke mechanism they describe is similar and the description of how it operates would be applicable to what you have on your carb.

Posted on: 2020/12/9 19:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
They show up all the time as NOS on eBay but I've not looked up to see which one you need and what else it might fit. I wouldn't be surprised to find that they are still available although I am only just recently getting back into Packards after being away from them (but still owning them) for many decades to know for sure.

That said, the Packard Parts look on my Packard / IMPERIAL page has the breakdown of each carburetor piece starting on page 202 (the same as in the physical book) so you might be able to find it there. However, it will require a free membership before being accessible.

Posted on: 2020/12/9 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Looks like your choke is available new as I thought. I didn't look carefully so best to give them a call before ordering. If your screws, clamps and heat tube are missing, ask about those too.

Posted on: 2020/12/9 21:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning Kevin...For the automatic choke, you might try Packard Seattle Company 425-293-7709 or Packards Southwest 619-726-4605. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/12/10 11:12
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Don and Howard for the info on the choke unit. I will have to find some time to sit down and read it to make sure I know what parts I'm missing. Just haven't had time the past few days. I've been busier than a sailor bailing out a submarine made from chicken wire.

I did see that thermal unit Don, but I just need to look through the other materials to see what else I'm missing. I'm pretty sure I'm missing some of the parts that go in the actual choke housing, so I need to figure out which ones and source them.

Ernie - Yes I'll check with the vendors once I figure out what's missing. Sure wish Packard Seattle would get back to me at some point. Left a message a couple different times looking for parts and never got anything back.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/12/11 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Hi Kevin...I do admit that sometimes I have to call David Moe more than once...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/12/11 21:48
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Kevin, there's actually not much inside the choke housing to be missing. A piston with linkage, a plate, a lever but that's about it. Some models had other things but going from memory, this one is fairly simple.

The other things you night be missing are external, such as the proper screws and special retainers that go under them and, or course, the steel vacuum line from the manifold which supplies the heated air.

Posted on: 2020/12/12 17:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Isn't there a plate that goes inside the choke housing with a curved cut-out for the lever to move?

Posted on: 2020/12/13 16:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I'd stick with a manual choke, they are very reliable....

Posted on: 2020/12/13 17:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 44 45 46 (47) 48 49 50 ... 146 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved