Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 166

29tons, 37Blanche, Alvin14, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: new guy questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If on-off sw pointed toward car center & hasn't been messed with, then torsion level has 2 fuses on inside drivers fender area by antenna. Since you said you have all lights (has to include brake) then both of those OK. If no brake light, fuses or the brake light switch is a good place to start.

Assume you tested by sitting on a bumper or fender (left one is better because that's side suspension is controlled by) front and rear--should take 7-10 seconds before anything happens. If that is case, then just have to take it step by step by jumpering several points until problem found. We can help you when ready to start.

While PackardV8's suggestion will work, I'd do that particular jumpering as a last resort until you get more familiar with car because as he mentions, you can get in trouble with no limit switches. As long as it doesn't look like a low rider, I'd get the brakes up to snuff first.

Posted on: 2008/8/18 22:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Thanks, Brian, for the reminder on the Moraine, GM, system. I actually did read, "Unsafe at Any Speed," many years ago but, as I may have mentioned previously, facts previously stuck firmly in my data banks seem to come and go, combine with others and otherwise distort themselves with increasing regularity nowadays. With your mention of it that info has come out of hiding, re-sorted and de-fragmented itself (for the time being, anyway). I am really not senile nor do I suffer from Alzheimers. I've been checked. My memory just needs a gentle nudge from time to time.

As for the T/L, although I knew about it, had never had any experience (other than driving/riding in Packards that had it) with it until I got my present car. It may be peculiar but it's NOT complicated. Download the applicable material on it and spend some time looking it over. Once you've got an overall picture of what it does and how it's supposed to work, it's pretty simple to diagnose. HEED ALL warnings about wiring past limit switches and running the thing past its built in limits.

Posted on: 2008/8/19 9:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Lloyd -

No problem, I just wanted to clarify as there are others out there who seek to condemn the TreadleVac - even though it was used, reliably, by several automakers during the 1950s. All that "noise" from false prophets out there just confuses people.

Posted on: 2008/8/19 9:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Looks like the Hudson guy's are having problems with the "Bendix Death-Vac" too:http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=80972#post80972

Posted on: 2008/8/19 13:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I don't know why anyone would use white grease in such an application. Would you put something like that in an air tool and expect it to work well?

The other problem is that if you think you've got an issue with the vacuum piston, then it's probably time to send the unit off to a reputable, professional rebuilder who specializes in TreadleVacs - one that has all the internal parts for that section.

That work requires a lot more patience than even carb rebuild, but the packard shop manual covers it very well. I've taken one vacuum piston apart myself, salvaging the original gaskets, and fixed a loose seal on one of the poppet valves. Yet, I didn't even bother replacing the big old leather cup seal (that some vendors try to push as an add-on sale), and the brakes on my Packard stop as good as any new car.

Posted on: 2008/8/19 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
I was poking around today, and found on the drivers side inner fender, nerar the power antenna unit, there is a pair of selinoids, and a pair of fuse holders. the fuse holders are empty. research has told me they are for the t/l system. is this right? what size(rating) fuse should i use?

Thanks as always for the support and information!

Posted on: 2008/8/19 16:37
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
packardv8: It is not equipped with A/C. Im not sure if it was actually a cop car, but it currently is painted black and white, with the 50's gumball machine light on top.

Posted on: 2008/8/19 18:46
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh35/cumminsfan/DSCF8788.jpg

Here she is! It will be a long term restoration. The final product will be a pure police car, not a D.A.R.E. car.

Posted on: 2008/8/19 18:51
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those are the TL solenoids. The fuse in Red wire is 30 amp and other is 7 1/2.

As you can see from the schematic, without those fuses you also have no brake lights. The fact they're missing makes me wonder why. So once you replace them, keep a close eye & ear out.

The brake light switch is a known source of problems especially if silicone fluid is used. If you need one originals are expensive, but there is a modern VW switch that will replace it and also a mechanical switch can be done off brake pedal. Numbers and info on both of those are on the site.

I must say, that is a different looking car. Somehow, I just can't see it as official. Would have thought the average cash strapped PD would have chosen a Clipper--unless the local Packard dealer was the chiefs brother in law or something.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.89 KB)
209_48ab611fad5da.jpg 800X524 px

Posted on: 2008/8/19 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
I bought it from the local PD, and they were relatively certain it was not an on duty police car. It was converted into what you see here in the '80s. These same officers told me that it was not uncommon for a chief to use his own vehicle. That may have been the reason for its transformation.

the brake lights do not work, so the fuse situation would explain that mystery.

behind the dashboard, on the passenger side is a strange perforated metal box with vacuum tubes in it. Is this the AM radio reciver? The radio controlls and stuff are on the normal pushbutton faceplate.. the clock is missing from my dash, so i can see right through.

Posted on: 2008/8/19 19:33
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved