Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: Proud New Owner of a 49 Packard Club Sedan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
I was afraid of that. They make the engine look very dressy, but they'll have to go.

Posted on: 2018/10/22 10:14
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

PackardusOctavus
See User information
It looks like the engine is hanging from the head!

Posted on: 2018/10/22 10:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Quote:

PackardusOctavus wrote:
A new issue! What is the deal with the gas tank sending units. I've seen a lot of discussion and workarounds, but I hate doing gas tank sending units, and want to put it in and be done with it. I'll test the gauge before I take the tank out, but so far I have never had a gauge or wire problem- its always the sending unit. I only want to do this once. Any advice would be appreciated!

Don't know if you sorted the sending unit or not yet. I pulled the tank off my 49 and the sender off. It was pretty crusty and the arm was pretty well stuck in place from sitting for years, brass float was toast with the whole bottom half gone. I cleaned the whole thing up, and pulled it apart (see pictures). It actually looked good inside, which was what I had read about these senders in general on ford group sites (they look like hell outside but might stay sealed where it counts). So... if it still operates with the right signal output range, you can very cheaply buy a new brass float from Dennis Carpenter here (http://dennis-carpenter.com/fuel-tank-float/p/68-9275-f/) which was almost exact to the one on there. The stuck arm, after trying several cleaners, came almost immediately loose and developed free travel with a shot of brake parts cleaner. Then it's just a gasket and maybe some new mounting screws and you're set. Of course if it's not outputting the right signal then it might need to go out unless you're good with electrical engineering.

Attach file:

jpg  (360.52 KB)
181869_5bd488ef67e45.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (465.75 KB)
181869_5bd4891760a86.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (399.43 KB)
181869_5bd48923f38b7.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/10/27 10:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the electrical output of that particular 22-23 series sender.

The sender provides a pulsed on/off action and the output goes from 6v toward ground when the bimetal contacts close. The closed contacts providing ground to the gauge cause its heater and bimetal which is linked to the needle to move toward the full side. The frequency of the pulses and duration out of the sender depend on how much the float acting like a cam against the bimetal changes how hard and long the heater has to work to make the bimetal contacts close. Once the gauge heater and sender heater are in sync electrically the pulses become very short and at a regular interval to maintain just enough heat to keep the gauge at a particular spot.

This type sender was only used on the 22-23 series and as far as I know there are no reproductions and very few NOS available. There were two senders used by Packard because of the different capacity tanks. Some Fords of that era used a similar sender but most likely with different arms because of their different tanks. The 22-23 series temp sender works in the same fashion and is also not easily found.

Tinman who has a project blog here is working on a 49 and has done some experiments to find an easily available modern variable resistance type sender that might work as a substitute. He has one identified that looks good on the bench but does not have his car on the road yet to verify long term operation and gauge stability. Details of his work are at the PAC forum project blog where he posts as Tinman_70.

Attach file:

jpg  (149.82 KB)
209_5bd4a3cf82a9b.jpg 1280X1089 px

Posted on: 2018/10/27 12:43
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Looks like you have the build slip still stuck between the whistling air vent and the fill tube. Is it complete and still legible?

Posted on: 2018/10/28 8:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
incredible call JD in KC, I just enlarged the pictures and from the different views I agree with you it appears to be the build slip.

Posted on: 2018/10/28 13:14
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Slips were teletyped to various parts of the plant for various assemblies, the one on the gas tank is thought to be the chassis build slip though the info is similar or the same as the body build slip.

It would be very interesting to compare the content of the two slips if someone had both from the same vehicle.

Posted on: 2018/10/28 14:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Here are the two build sheets from my '50 (factory re-numbered '49) Custom.

Edit: Except for the mystery number at the beginning of the gas tank version, the data is the same (at least it is on mine).

Attach file:

jpg  (47.44 KB)
188_5bd628b78a495.jpg 960X596 px

Posted on: 2018/10/28 16:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks, adds to our understanding. I sort of expected that the chassis slip might differ by having the rear axle gear ratio.

Posted on: 2018/10/28 17:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Nice catch! Yes that is the slip in there and it is legible and I was able to decipher the code with help, attached a picture. I haven't checked for the glove box one yet, maybe I'll do that tomorrow/Wednesday when I try starting (if I can get the right size fuel pump inlet hose, the one I was sent is small on male side big on female side).

Attach file:

jpeg  (166.82 KB)
181869_5bd83a6a74f9f.jpeg 1920X755 px

Posted on: 2018/10/30 6:03
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved