Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 148

Packard Newbie, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 144 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The only one I've examined closely was on a 22nd series Custom Eight. It was definitely brazed but I suppose that could have been a prior repair.

Posted on: 2020/6/18 18:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Oddly, they were simply crimped over so come loose easily. Typically we warn newcomers to grip be before trying to take out the plug but posted too late that you were working in the tank!

Posted on: 2020/6/18 18:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Howard, Don, Owen_Dyneto - It definitely feels like there is a crimp inside the tank. The collar spins around but doesn't come out.

Don, the damage was already done prior to me touching it. It had a steady leak, though not fast. My touching it only made it quicker. Either way it had to be addressed.

I'll check around and see if I can find anyone who wants to attempt to braze/solder/weld that piece back on and see if it works. Otherwise I guess I'm going to have to get a new tank.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/6/18 19:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
When I had my tank cleaned, I had already spun the collar since it is just crimped in and the guy that boiled it out, blazed the collar back down for me, so problem solved.
Wes

Edit Make brazed not blazed. Good one!

Posted on: 2020/6/18 20:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
I installed the tank from Motor City Classics in my '56 Clipper. It required an additional bend to the filler pipe to properly position the filler opening. Attached are pictures of the tanks and the template I used for the bend.

Wasn't this issue with the Kanter tanks? I have a PM from James From of Kanter telling me that they had removed the filler notch on the second run but the pipe was mislocated.

Posted on: 2020/6/19 15:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I suspect the Kanter tanks and those from Motor City or others all were from the same original source.

Posted on: 2020/6/19 16:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Motor City insists that they made their own independent of Kanter. That's why one still has them available while the other doesn't.

Posted on: 2020/6/19 16:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56Clippers
See User information
Kanter's tanks also had an issue with the filler pipes. As I understand, people returned the tanks to Kanter so they stopped selling them.

For me, bending the filler pipe was a better option than sending it back and having nothing.

The Motor City tank box shows that it was made in Taiwan and shipped to Motor City via Los Angeles. I don't know where the Kanter tanks were made.

Posted on: 2020/6/19 22:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Work continues on the Panama. While I wait to figure out what to do with the fuel tank, I've turned my attention to other matters.

I found a guy who does mobile soda blasting and should be able to make the drive out to my place. I'm waiting to get an estimate from him to blast the whole inside of the car, minus the doors. That way I can be sure that all the rust is gone from the roof area, and I don't trust whoever did the paint on the floor. Whatever they put on it is peeling up in a few places. I'd rather be positive that the floor is perfect and then coat with POR-15. Then insulate, etc.

I took the stained and smelly seats to a local detailer and had him do his best to clean them up and get the smell out. The vinyl cleaned up nicely, all things considered. Steam cleaning helped some, but also brought up underlying stain from the padding. He built a tent over the seats and ozoned them for a while as well. They smell 90% better now....a huge improvement.

Joe Santana was kind enough to send me some samples of cleaning solutions he's used (see page 2 of this thread) with good success. My oldest daughter and I tried them out and I have to say I'm impressed. The rear seat back had a huge black stain get pulled up from the padding (was there prior to steaming, but more pronounced now). It's much better after the Sol-u-mel, though another application or two might help it more.

The rear seat bench was in the best condition of them all, but I still went through and cleaned and got the major stains out. Not perfect, but certainly passable.

The front bench had the passenger back reupholstered at some point with new vinyl. I had to laugh because the detailer was able to get the original vinyl cleaned up and back to white. The replacement vinyl was matched to the discolored and dirty vinyl, so it's yellow. Whoever did the vinyl replacement didn't bother to clean the original vinyl to see what the color was supposed to be.

So in summary, the stuff Joe sent me seems to be working. The seats will never be perfect, I get that. But I want to keep them original as long as possible and at least presentable. It's a plus that the cleaning solution smells really nice....anything will help my stinky car.

Attach file:

jpg  (119.08 KB)
1059_5eee801884d27.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (120.43 KB)
1059_5eee81d6316c4.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (124.85 KB)
1059_5eee820fa50d4.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (92.95 KB)
1059_5eee822b8a8c7.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (93.82 KB)
1059_5eee8280e69b6.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (102.09 KB)
1059_5eee82aecaced.jpg 1024X683 px

jpg  (115.04 KB)
1059_5eee82be1fec4.jpg 1024X683 px

Posted on: 2020/6/20 16:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Awesome work! You'll be cruising in no time!

Posted on: 2020/6/20 18:34
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved