Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 14 »

Re: disc brake conversions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you want a Mustang why don't you just buy a Mustang? Why mess up a Packard trying to turn it into an inferior copy of a Mustang?

Posted on: 2010/9/2 17:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I've had disc brakes on my 55 Pat for 8 years and I drive it a fair amount -- almost daily driver status per another thread.

While disc brakes will definitely stop a heavy Packard from high speed in less distance than the original 12in (Senior) drum brakes, the real problem is the BTV. I would not hesitate to drive a well maintained drum brake setup anywhere SO LONG AS it had a modern dual MC and booster.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/2 17:38
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
my conversion kits are still in the works. i had my machinest put them on hold for a while as i had bigger problems (family/health issues ) to worry about. but they are back in the works. so god willing they will be ready soon.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 19:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Disc Brakes Second Generation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Hello,

I decided to go with the 1985 Eldroado caliper, the brake line mounts to the top of the caliper. Mounting the caliper to the rear of the rotor gives the brake line a better path to the Packard's steel brake line. The rotor is a 2005 Grand Am. It is 10.95 inches in diameter, this is larger than my first disc brake setup. It fits the senior wheel.

Jerry

Attach file:

jpg  (24.10 KB)
1278_4d166044e1494.jpg 450X439 px

jpg  (22.14 KB)
1278_4d166086f3c12.jpg 450X411 px

Posted on: 2010/12/25 16:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Update on my kits for those who are interested still. they are still in the works. i had to find a new machinest. mine has turned out to be unreliable and has put me off indefintly after recieving some bigger jobs AND try'n to jack the cost up on my work!

Posted on: 2011/3/13 1:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Will the kit come WITH the 2005 Grand Am rotors or can we go buy our own rotors????? I'm assuming no modifications are needed to the rotors.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 8:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Folks:

I don't want to be a spoiler because I agree that brake performance on these cars is significantly below what it was when they were new. But these new parts are for cars that weigh significantly less than Packards.

Also, a parking brake is an absolute necessity on these cars and I think the only trouble free rear disc handbrake was the Dunlop system used on the Jaguar.

The Duo-Servo system used on the Packard actually provided more braking power when new than a disc system. It was more prone to fade and thus long grades required negotiation in low ranges.

The BTV problems notwithstanding the drums on these cars are worn out and there doesn't seem to be lining material available that matches OEM. I find that BTV cars sometimes actually require more pedal effort than a good mechanical system. That is a problem.

One other note about disc systems is that they don't hold up under storage and so these parts will need to be replaced on a regular basis unless they are removed and stored in a protected environment.

I recently worked on an old Ford that had some OEM shoes on it and when you set the parking brake on that car the wheels were locked solid. You could not drive away with that brake on.

Good Luck in your efforts.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 9:49
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

papas34
See User information
I would like to know how things are coming with the brackets...I have a 48 that has all new brakes front to back and it still feels weak.....feels like they did back in the day, but with a 350/auto and highway speeds over 65mph....I like better stopping power.
I like your idea of a parts list so that would be the way for me....saves on shipping.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 21:25
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My '54 has manual brakes, and I found they actual feel firmer and stops nicer than the brakes in my 2007 truck.

Remember the brakes are not self adjusting, so they have to be checked every once in awhile.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 21:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
I know Kanter now carries front Disc brake conversions for certain Packard models (And others). I'm considering them as a long-term potential project, maybe in a year or so once I start driving my car more. Their price when I last checked (December 2010) was about $900.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 13:08
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved