Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

Dealer1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 18 »

Re: 37 will turn over but not fire.
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
The condenser steps up the voltage going to the ignition coil as soon as the points open. It's basically a capacitor that stores voltage for when it's needed.

The condersor/capacitor has been answered correctly.

The reason you get a high voltage to the spark plug is the sudden interuption of current flowing throw the primary coil bythe points opening. The secondary coil which has many more windings sees 100s more voltage. The high voltage can be explained by the equation V=L*di/dt. di/dt is the change of current over time. When the points open, the di (change of current) is large, and the dt (change of time) is very small. This x's L, the inductance, creates the large voltage on the primary windings, which creates even a high voltage on the secondary windings.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 0:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
couldnt sleep went to bed at 9pm..now its 5:30am and im up pouring the internet on distributors..just to recap. Shop manual for 37/38 says to set points at .020 for both Autolite and Delco ignition systems..I mentioned loss of spark at plug after putting in new points and condensor.(new rotor coming from napa today. However, I was getting spark with old set(pints) up even though point(see prior photos were toast as some suggested.

When it gets light outside, Im goin back to see if I have the points installed correctly that they gap is set correct and they do make face to face contact when turning engine over per specs above. I may go back an install the old condensor based on you info and test again.

touching the points with a screw driver with ign on..it does spark so there must be some power going to dist from the coil.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 5:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
hmmm maybe I have the point gap set too wide...went to MOTOR MANUAL 1940. I set mine to .020 based on shop manual for 1937/1938

MOTOR SAYS: 1937-1940 SIXES. .020 for sixes(1937's .015)

will readust points this am.

it goes on to say the 37-40 120's and supers should also be set at .015

so Brian51 you seem to be correct that the .020 too wide as you said yours are .017 for the 51

Posted on: 2009/10/19 7:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
I agree .20 is to wide - My six likes .16
You getting a spark with the ignition on with a screwdriver ? That indicates that you might have dirty contacts ?if you are touching the contacts with the screwdiver to the baseplate of the distributor.Slide a little bit of clean paper between them , or a give em a shot of electrical contact cleaner .make sure to let it dry before re-testing them.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 9:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi ,
This may sound daft but I've seen it happen many times. When you put the points back in did you have all the little fibre insulators in the right place?
Just recheck for peace of mind
Terry

Posted on: 2009/10/19 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Terry and club38 thanks will check for film on the new points I installed

I have autolite distributor...there were two systems for the 115c either Autolite or Delco..Club 38? I think yours is Delco if Im not mistatken..

Anyway..just to recap...before putting in new points and condense.. I was getting spark fire out of the plugs when grounded against block of now I'm not getting anythings..

I will be resetting the points today at .015 which everbody seems to recommend. Maybe setting at .020 was the reason for no spark..

also below is the Autolite Distrbutor
I hope i have the lead wires and condenser wires hooked properly...the two wires and the points are all clumped together on the one post...see pic below

Attach file:

jpg  (49.56 KB)
623_4adc9412611b5.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/10/19 11:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
It must be the angle of the photo but the lobes look lopsided.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 16:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Do I see that only the condenser lead is connected to the point set?

There should be a wire from the primary terminal of the coil (low tension lead) to a connector on the outside of the distributor. This is visible in the photo.

Another wire lead connects to the inside of the connector and the other end connects to the breaker points set. I can't see this wire in the photo.

The condenser lead also connects to the points at the same place. It seems to be there in the photo.

There may also be a ground wire from the breaker point plate to the body of the distributor. This would be inside the distributor. Can't tell from the photo.

Check to make sure that the connector that goes through the distributor body that connects the breaker points and coil is insulated and not being grounded.

Make sure none of these wire leads are grounded.

Make sure the condenser is making good contact with the breaker plate.

Make sure the breaker contacts are clean and adjusted to the proper gap. (.015" - .018" is generally a good gap).

I always like to work on the distributor out of the car, but this entails some knowledge and experience working on ignition systems and setting the timing.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 17:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
yeah they are prob lopsided because the way i was angling the pic..thanks..

Okay guys here we go with our ongoing saga..Now I got my buddy Phil Hammond in Queenstown South Africa involved.lol
He had an Auto Electric store there..now retired and a vinatage Mercedes and Puegot owner.

The ongoing saga of the 115c. Went over to Napa to pick up ordered rotor..they said Oh its not here ...On Mondays we only have deliveries from the Detroit warehouse in the afternoon. The rest of the week its morning and afternoon deliveries..(which they didnt tell me) So it was back this afternoon to pick up rotor

okay yesterday i said i installed new points and condensor set points at .020 and no plug fire..so today i set them at .015 per Motor Manual 1940. The Packard workshop manual says to set them for .020 for the sixes including the 115.
but other sources indicate .015 in addition to the Motor Manual for 1940 for the 115 only.

Okay did that. then in the process of snapping the cap back on i began checking wire connections. It appears there was no plug fire even with the points set at .020 because of it seems a 'broken coil wire' probably from the constant flexing of the wires in general back and forth during this repair process. I take it the copper portion is a continuous filament from the terminal end the the male connector to the coil ?? and you just dont jam it back it the tubing. these wires are at least 15 years old..perhaps I should replace these too... see pic below

i notice the male portion is a screw in type..I hope the universal variety will fit. when I go back to Napa TOMMARROW

Attach file:

jpg  (26.05 KB)
623_4adcf212d2747.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/10/19 18:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
jw..it sounds like you are also knowledgable on distri.
anyway, i took a better pic of distr showing the wire hook ups ..looks like all wires and points are grounded to the post behind the points..so i have that black braided wire from the coil(red wire from coil leads to it) the points are on the post along with the condenser..

Attach file:

jpg  (48.78 KB)
623_4add00b46067d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/10/19 19:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved