Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 137

DJP-37-120, Don B, Spencer B., AJS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 12 »

Re: Brake Upgrade
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
John, I disagree with Keith. If you can manage a bolt-in dual master system, then by all means do so. If you have to go to drastic lengths as some did with their Packards, then careful thought is required. The dual master has saved many a butt by still maintaining some braking ability when a wheel cylinder hose blows out. I think it should be a simple bolt-in procedure as a friend converted his 63 Pontiac in the same way.

Posted on: 2008/1/16 21:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
John,
I will have to agree with Randy, wish the Packard was so simple. Check in car magazines, Street Rodder, ect. and you will find plenty of vendors for what you need. You can go online to abspowerbrake.com for ideas.

Posted on: 2008/1/16 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Its my feeling that if you can install the dual master cylinder on any old car that it should be done for saftey reasons and for the car well being. If the brakes fail another old car may well be damaged at the least and the possibilty of person being hurt is reason enough in to change to dual master cylinder.
In your case of a 66 Chevelle all you need is to get a 67 master cylinder. You could adapt the lines or replace all the steel lines with new ones from a 67 which are easy to obtain pre formed ready made. The lines on your car if 10 years old could be replaced lines can rust in that time. I would consider the change to be saftey issue and if you change the master cylinder and lines you will have the peace of mind knowing the system is new and as safe as you can make it.

Posted on: 2008/1/17 0:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
John -

To build upon what Keith said, if you must go with a dual-chambered M/C, stick with a GM part (or equivalent). Not only should parts be in good supply for a Chevelle, but I saw MANY failures with master cylinders in Chrysler product, and to a lesser degree, Ford of the 60's and early '70s, while GM vehicles just kept going and going. I've put well over 100K on a GM car, without having ever flushed and refill the brake fluid (unless I had to change a caliper) and never replaced the master cylinder.

Who's to say that whatever kustom supplier that's around today will be here a year or two from now?

Posted on: 2008/1/17 9:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
ABS brakes have been around since 1979.

Posted on: 2008/1/17 17:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The only changes i would make to the Chevelle brake system is a POWER unit if it does not already have one.

Posted on: 2008/1/17 20:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
UPDATE!!!!!
A bolt on front disc brake kit for 55-56 Clipper & Exec is being built as I type. More info when completed.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 13:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Excellent news! That kit should also work of the 54 Clippers (non-Supers) also as they use the same brake components.

Posted on: 2008/12/4 13:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Just got off phone with Ron at RPM and my kit is being shipped out early next week.

Posted on: 2008/12/12 14:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I own a 48 Custom Eight with Manual brakes and a 56 Patrician with power brakes.I live in the NYC Metropolitan Area where people drive like Aholes. Both of my cars will stop on a dime as straight as an arrow.Why would you convert? I have a friend who has a 34 Standard Eight with mechanical brakes and it stops better than both of my cars.I think it just a matter of how you drive and how you maintain your car.

Posted on: 2008/12/12 20:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved