Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

BigKev, CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: "Waking Sleeping Beauty" .... The Blog!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I forgot about the frame too. However I think there are some real possibilities with the one's I've seen on that site.
I am picking up my tank tomorrow (weather permitting) and will measure it "6 ways from Sunday", photograph it and if I'm lucky post the pictures along with every thing else I can learn.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 23:59
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Bye the way, Big Kev - your tank is in MUCH better shape than mine! With the dents mine has on the bottom they must have parked it in a rock garden.

Posted on: 2011/2/17 0:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
I'm trying to work out a replacement tank solution myself. I'm currently running the Chev tank that's been discussed, but there are a few undesirable issues with it. The two biggest being the frame has to be notched for the filler to work in the current location, and the sender is not compatible with our gauges. Also there isn't a vent on the tank. The Chev must have had a vent built into the filler tube.

Hopefully I can find a solution that put's a new tank under these cars, without breaking the bank. I'll know more in a couple of weeks after some trial, but mostly error.

Posted on: 2011/2/17 0:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
You've got MY attention.....

Posted on: 2011/2/17 1:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Back again!
While Portland has been having snow and temps in the mid 20's I decided to really tear into the carb. I picked up another 4GC on e-Bay to use as a reference.

One thing I found very interesting. The carb kit included and the FSM called for two check balls in the carb: A steel one for the accelerator pump discharge side; and an aluminium one for the pump inlet side. While both carbs had the steel discharge check ball, NEITHER had the aluminium INLET check ball. I might have lost one during disassembly, but since I took the e-Bay carb apart with the distinct purpose of finding the inlet ball I don't think I lost both. For a while I thought maybe having just the discharge check ball was a Packard variation but that didn't make any sense. I mean without the inlet check ball, any fuel in the pump bore would take the course of least resistance and flow back into the float chamber - instead of forcing the fuel past the pump outlet check ball. Plus the FSM (Thank God for Them) called for both. I can imagine that without that tiny aluminum check ball, the big Packard V8 had some definite "issues" on acceleration which may partly explain why it sat in a garage for 26 years rather than being repaired and why the donor Patrician sat in a South Dakota field since 1964. The more I dig into this car, the more amazed I am that it ran as long as it reportedly did.

Finished the carb WITH both check balls last night. Terrible picture! Trust me, the carb is really much cleaner and brighter that THIS!
Can't wait for the weather to warm up to try it out. Never the less, I figure that asking an engine that has only run in bursts of seconds after sitting as long as this one has to start in 23 degree temperature is a little much. Not to mention it being rough on the owner! Weather is supposed to be back in the rainy 40's and 50's by mid week - about the same time my fuel tank arrives from Mike Dulinski. In the meantime, I'll practice writing "Patience is a Virtue" 500 times each day.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.92 KB)
3087_4d69487f272fd.jpg 822X615 px

Posted on: 2011/2/26 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Good job with the carb! The Portland weather lately is perfect for indoor projects like a carb. You must be a brave man setting a car part on top of the washing machine. My wife would have my hide!

I am enjoying watching your project blog. Its inspiring me to maybe get off my duff and get back to working on the Packard!

Posted on: 2011/2/26 13:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks for the kind comments!
Also, not all pictures make it into the family album!

Posted on: 2011/2/26 13:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Here is a better picture of the carb from my '55. The original picture I posted really looked like it had been dredged up from the Andrea Doria.
Note to Portlandon: I decided that you were right (as usual) and that discretion was the better part of valor. Hence the second picture with the carb on an old table in the basement. Normally, I'm not allowed to work on parts that smell of gas in the house - including the basement. The cold weather provided an exception.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.60 KB)
3087_4d6c0a3db45fe.jpg 870X651 px

Posted on: 2011/2/28 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
BIG DAY TODAY !

My CARE package from Mike Dulinski arrived at the local Greyhound Depot. Two packages, actually. One had the Renuz Process Gas Tank; complete with numbered badge for my '55. The other one had the NOS radiator for the '51. He included the original Packard Motor Car Company box the radiator was in for the last 55 years or so as bracing for in the box with the tank. I intended to take some pictures but the batteries in my camera were dead and it'd be dark before I got fresh ones. I'll take some of the Packard box tomorrow.
Took the radiator out to the shop where the '51 is. We opened up the box and had the new radiator installed in 5 minutes. This should be the last piece of the puzzle for the '51. If it passes my mechanic's (his name is Owen, too) I'll have her home this weekend.
After I got back into Portland, I took advantage of the break in our weather and installed the new fuel tank in the '55. Went in just like it knew where it was going! I forgot to buy a new vent hose so that put a halt to today's festivities. Tomorrow I'll take the remains (I had to cut it off the old tank) to NAPA and get a new one - along with a see-through gas filter that I want to install between the pump and the engine steel line. I have the rebuild kit for the pump, but I want to get her running and hopefully drive her from the carport to inside the garage. I picked up some old carpet that we tore out of a rental property and put that down in the garage. It will make working under the car a lot more pleasant.
We're promised another "somewhat dry and warmer" day after tomorrow's new storm. That's when I plan to add the new gas vent hose and install the carb. If the transmission is willing - the one remaining big question mark - I'll have both Packards up and running! Guess I'd better buy that calendar Howard's been kidding me about!
More to come!

Posted on: 2011/3/1 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
What an exciting day! It's like Christmas day opening presents!

Having 2 running Packards, you should get involved with the local Packard Club. They are very active, and do alot of touring during the summer. They are also a huge help finding local solutions to your Packard's needs.

http://www.packardsoforegon.com/index.htm

I am not a member, but am friends with members.

Hope you can get your Packard running. I'm excited!

Posted on: 2011/3/1 22:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved