Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 57 58 59 (60) 61 62 63 ... 146 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
The broken one, meaning the 1st one I got from Tucson? That one is in several pieces. Not worth anything at this point.

I do still have my original one, but it has 5 cracks top to bottom. Still in one piece, so I'm going to take it to the glass shop along with the one I just picked up, so they can get the dimensions right.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/3/11 19:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, that one and only to compare the dimensions for curiosity’s sake.

Posted on: 2021/3/11 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Kevin, I hope you get this sorted out. You are doing a great job on the car for this to be a sticking point. John

Posted on: 2021/3/12 9:35
 Top  Print   

Re: KPack
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
A local shop was brave enough to grind down the upper edge of the windshield to the proper dimensions. I gave them my old cracked windshield as a guide. They did a fantastic job.

I compared the original windshield against the modified one, and the curves are all the same. Dimensions matched, so I went ahead and put the gasket back on.

With the help of my wife we got it installed this afternoon. It was much easier going in this time. I put in the lock strip as well, though that was fairly snug. With the dashboard in the way, it is tough to get the lower strip in.

The windshield sustained some damage in the upper passenger corner during our first install attempt a week ago. I didn't realize that the windshield was the wrong dimension at the time, and I had one of the guys helping me gently press on the side of the windshield while I pulled the rope (exactly what the service manual says). The moment he put a bit of pressure on it cracked. They are small and not that noticeable, and they go to the side. So I'm going to let it slide. At this point I really don't care....I'm so done with dealing with the windshield. At least I have glass, even it it's not perfect.

I went and tried to install the upper stainless trim and it is really tough. The trim is welded together on the corners, with a press-fit trim piece connecting the two sides in the middle.

I'm noticing that the Steele Gasket doesn't fit that well. It goes around the glass alright, but it appears too short side-side. It's keeping the upper stainless trim from fitting both sides (longer than the gasket), and the trim is unable to sit down following the pillar like it was originally. I don't really think there's much I can do with this. It is frustrating.

Two steps forward, one step back. At least it's progress?

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Windshield ground down.jpg (80.21 KB)
1059_60501c3a45538.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Comparing windshield shape to original.jpg (211.72 KB)
1059_60501c62bb211.jpg 975X1300 px

jpg  Installing the windshield.jpg (160.08 KB)
1059_60501d4fc0e2e.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Windshield in.jpg (175.49 KB)
1059_60501d67b3fa8.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Cleaned up.jpg (156.02 KB)
1059_60501d79415ac.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Small cracks on corner.jpg (134.82 KB)
1059_60501daf31a89.jpg 975X1300 px

jpg  Stainless trim welded together.jpg (99.68 KB)
1059_60501de6e0adb.jpg 975X1300 px

jpg  Steele gasket fitment issues.jpg (127.56 KB)
1059_60501dfbf0b81.jpg 1300X870 px

jpg  Original fitment.jpg (85.51 KB)
1059_60501e0c41977.jpg 1300X867 px

Posted on: 2021/3/15 21:55
 Top  Print   

Re: KPack
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations! Glass can be a real pain and I have had some moments with 56 windshields and that chrome trim so understand the frustration you have.

On the crack, is there a chance vibration could cause it to worsen? Wonder if some of the magic adhesive and repair compounds the glass people use to stabilize chips and the like on modern windshields would work on the old glass to keep it from spreading.

Posted on: 2021/3/15 22:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You should be sure to let Mike Chirco know the problems you had with the replacement.

For the crack itself, I would have an automotive glass company come out and take a look. They may have a way of preventing it from getting worse and to make it nearly invisible,

Posted on: 2021/3/15 23:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Interesting that the trim is different. Perhaps because it would have been the same trim used in the convertibles.

My trim is multi-piece with separate corner pieces that have a stud that extends through the gasket and secures it from the inside. So this helps to locate everything and force the gasket/trim into position.

Steele Rubber is usually known for being a bit larger/thicker than expected. Usually, they make the molds a bit large to compensate for whatever original one they used for a pattern having shrunk over the years.

Perhaps Ross can offer some advice on your trim as he may have had to deal with that before.

Did you lube up the trim slot with liquid soap and put a piece of wire in there to help spread and hold it open? With the trim out, you may want to go around with a plastic putty knife and make sure that the groove is clean and it's not sticking together anywhere that could cause it to be shallower than expected. I would expect the problem to be most evident near the corners. I know some people have had to trim or slightly modify Steele Rubber parts to get them to fit in their applications sometimes.

Posted on: 2021/3/16 9:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Howard - there's definitely a chance that vibration can make it worse. I think temperature variations are the real killer though. When we were in single digits here a month or so ago, my truck sprang a crack on the windshield that traveled all the way across within a matter of days. Outside was well below freezing, and inside the truck was nice and warm....too much stress for the glass.

Don - I'll keep Mike informed. I don't think he realized that this glass was cut down from a different car.

I'm going to be talking to a glass guy today to see what his recommendations are for the cracks. He might be able to work some magic and do some sort of resin injection. At least something to help prevent spread.

BigKev - Yeah, I realized after looking through your thread that the stainless trim for sedans and hardtops are vastly different. The problem I'm running into right now is the sides of the gasket are squeezing the upper trim piece and popping it out of the groove. There just isn't enough space for it to lay flat. I might pull the car out into the sun and see if I can get the rubber to relax a bit.

I will say that the Steele gasket is very thick, particularly on the top. It seems to stick out a lot further than the original.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/3/16 10:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
You're gettin' there!
The front and rear Windows are a real pain to get in. The trim is even more trouble. I think those cracks will stay like they are, but be gentle with the windshield.
I think the trim has got to go deeper into the Rubber gasket to fit properly. You can put some clothesline rope or wire in the groove to open it up, and you also might want to wait for summer sun to make the Rubber soft and pliable. I drove around for a while without the trim! No shame in that. Glad you figured out your extra problems with the modified windshield.

Posted on: 2021/3/16 14:01
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can for sure the difference in your two pictures, The trim needs to go in far enough that the bulk of the gasket is towards the glass, and then there is pretty much no gasket shown on the outer edge. I believe the is a small lip on in inward side of the gasket that the inward edge on the trim rests on. It for sure isn't seated far enough in the groove.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe in this case, the lock strip is putting too much pressure on the groove and not letting the trim go in far enough. It wasn't an issue on my sedan, but maybe the design on the hardtops is different since they don't use corner fasters to hold the trim in place. Maybe the lock strip also locks the stainless in place as well?? Just tossing out ideas here.

As much as I hate to say it, perhaps pull the lock strip off at least one half of the windshield, and see if that makes any difference.

No matter what, I would park it in the sun to soften it up as much as possible.

Posted on: 2021/3/16 14:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 57 58 59 (60) 61 62 63 ... 146 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved