Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 155

Packard Don, humanpotatohybrid, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 37 »

Re: Randy Berger's 1956 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy & Robert -

There was barely enough room at my offsite storage to get to my Carib Hardtop to get another part that Randy needed study for his car, but I think I can clear this up from my chair.

I cracked open the good old factory parts book and started scanning thorugh the body section looking for things unique to the Carib. No luck in the "Front Fenders" subsection, but I found something interesting in the "Radiator Grille & Splasher" subsection.

Check out Group 30.874932 for a "Radiator Side Splasher to Frame Brace". The hardware listed seems to match details that Randy provided to me (privately), and there is a LH and RH version of the brace.

Also, this bracing is used only on 5588 and 5699 (convertible) body styles, but NOT the 5697 (Hardtop). Actually I'm not surprised about that since the Caribbean Hardtop body is essentially a Four Hundred shell. So, there's probably no need to check my Carib.

I think Robert is right about the purpose of this brace. When I have had my Hardtop up on a lift or four jackstands, I see a change in the gap between the trailing edge of the door and the leading edge of the rear fender. I can only imagine how much more the deflection would be on a car without a fixed roof.

Hence, this is very likely one of those things that was added by the factory to accomodate an open car configuration. I'm sure there are other measures employed throughout the convertible body and chassis.

My only explanation for the lack of the RH (passenger side) brace on Randy's car might be an omission made during some past collision repair.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 21:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
BigKev -

Actually, the 1955-56 Caribbean hoods were steel stampings.

Not sure about 1953-54 Caribs, but the 1955 Packard Request show car had a fiberglass hood.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 21:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm quite certain the 53/54 Caribbean hoods were modified standard steel hoods, with the air scoop section added and leaded; thus the need for the hood support rods. 1955 hoods may indeed also contain considerable lead as they too have the support rods which 1956 Caribbean hoods don't; 56 hoods are VERY much lighter than 55s. Someone who has stripped a 55 hood in the course of repainting could confirm this.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 22:23
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You are probably right. I could have sworn about a year ago there was a fiberglass hood on eBay advertised being for a Caribbean.

Come the think of it (trying to remember back), that eBay hood did look more like the 53-54 styled hood.

Maybe it was an old proto-type for one of the showcars.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 23:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Just 2 cents worth and agreeing with Owen Dyneto, the hood of my 54 Caribbean is steel /lead and much heavier than my 53 Clipper steel hood. I would suggest that the brace is an absolute necessity given the lever effect of the modified heavy outer hood (scoop) end, and the marginal upward push of the standard hood springing. Peter Toet

Posted on: 2007/7/12 3:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Randy, my 56 Caribbean, a "late" (post #250) car, has the brace on both sides and I do believe the parts book calls for 2 per car so I think that clears that up. As to the really good question of whether its use was related to the heavier hoods used on Caribbeans, it would be enlightening to see if the 51-54 standard convertibles, and the 53-54 Caribbeans, had the same bracing. I think we'd all enjoy some feedback on this.

As to the fiberglass hood that was observed, the only postwar Packard I'm aware of that used a fiberglass hood was the '54 Panther Daytona and with only 4 made, I doubt there were many spares produced.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 8:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
At least it doesn't have the extra weights/dampeners that some of prewar cars had in fenders or end of front bumper. There were a few articles/fixes on cowl shake for 22nd series which apparently had different frame members, extra fender bolts and radiator brace as well--all to be correctly tensioned and tightened with no missing bolts.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 9:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to install the brace as I have it in the parts trailer. I dug out the sending unit and lock ring today, but I need to get an O-ring for the gas tank. I'm going to install that next week. I got one rear shock off but can't read the number. I need to buy a pair with ten inches of travel. Does anyone know what gas shocks Kanter or Max is selling?

Posted on: 2007/7/14 12:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Randy, my 56 Caribbean rear shocks are Gabriel 82066, and fronts are Gabriel 45653, gas filled as I remember. But if you just make note of the upper and lower mounting style, and the minimum compressed and maximum extended length, any auto parts guy "worth his salt" will give you all the alternatives.

Posted on: 2007/7/14 12:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Owen, I wrote down your shocks and will look them up on the net.
I got a fuel tank gasket from Max and although it's a flat ring it sealed up ok. I installed the fuel tank today but will order the anti-squeak from Restoration Specialties when they finally send me their catalog.
I also rebuilt the sway bar and reinstalled it. I had forgotten there is a bias built into the arms and installed them backward at first and had to disassemble and turn them around. All is bolted up fine now. I was going to adjust the TL turnbuckle but held off because I have a lot more weight to hang on the front and rear. It looks like it rides very high right now but I assume that's because the extra weight isn't there yet.
New gas line tomorrow

Posted on: 2007/7/26 23:20
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 37 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved