Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 31 »

Re: Mike's 53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Drain the coolant before you make a mess.

Posted on: 2022/4/27 17:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks Ross,
I should be fine removing the nuts holding the manifold to the block, also the bolts holding the two manifolds together. I managed to remove the muffler clamps, but think it will be a fight to get the muffler off of the pipes. Also, the two bolts holding the downpipe on the manifold "are on there pretty good"
I am soaking everything with my favorite penetrating oil, and also broke out my propane torch to heat things up a few times. I've also given the bolts a few taps with a hammer, and a few shots with my impact gun....Any other tips to get those things apart?
Oil, heat, vibration....we will see if I can get the muffler out in one piece, or if I will have to cut it up and take it out piece by piece....

Posted on: 2022/4/28 4:51
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Are the cast brass? Thermostat housings still available anywhere? I put one on the clipper, and it was super solid. I'd like to put one on the Caribbean too. My OEM Thermostat housing was straightened once, but still leaks a little bit. No wrenching progress tonight, but family time is as good as an evening in the garage with my "new gal"

Posted on: 2022/4/28 15:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Amature mechanic here...I drained the coolant, and still made a little mess draining the block with the plug by the starter....that was par for the course.
I managed to get all the nuts holding the intakes to the block off, and only backed out 2 studs. Heat, penetrating oil, back and forth with a 17mm ratcheting box wrench did it.
I was able to get the rear end of the muffler disconnected from the tail pipe, but the front of the muffler is still connected to the down pipe. I have a sawzall on the way, and will chop up the old muffler.

Also, looking at my front upper control arm bushings, I noticed that my uncle had installed spring spacers (helpers) into two coils of the front springs. I think I will just call EATON in Detroit and put new coils in while I have things apart. I fear the spacers would fail inspection here.

As for the weight on the front springs in my car...I have the Overdrive, which is lighter than the Ultramatic, but the 359 with a cast iron head. I am not sure if that weighs the same or more than the original 327. -I might need that info when ordering springs. Not sure how exact EATON supplies the springs.
Any guesses on weight? From my look at the specs, it is still pretty close to stock.

Posted on: 2022/5/2 9:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
No luck at Eaton, they only have front coils from 1935 to 1950, which they say is one part number.

Posted on: 2022/5/2 13:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Try ESPO Springs n/ Things. I was looking into them when I was considering replacing my front springs. I believe they can make whatever springs you need, and I think they have the info for the 50's Packards.

https://www.springsnthings.com/coil-springs.htm

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/5/2 13:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks Kevin!
I sent an Email to them, let's see what they write back to me.

Posted on: 2022/5/2 14:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Espo was very friendly, but doesn't have any springs for me. Maybe I should check with the two big names in packard parts supply.
I need to go over the other projects I have lined up, and tally up what other parts I will need in the near future. Then I may order a few things to combine shipping.

My owners manual and front turn Signal lenses arrived yesterday from the packard club. That was a fun easy project to replace the slightly cracked ones....now back to the hard Jobs.

Posted on: 2022/5/3 15:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I need to replace my turn signal lenses as well. Ordering from the Packard Club is on my list.

That's too bad that Espo didn't have what you need. I had saved their info because I had come across it in my search for springs last year, but never looked into it. How bad are yours?

Posted on: 2022/5/3 18:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
The stance of the car is actually quite normal with the spring helpers installed in the front springs. They are little blocks that go between 2 coils, and keep those coils from compressing.
The problem is, those things might not pass inspection here in Germany. I could just take them out and see if the front ride height is acceptable, but I see those spacers as kind of a band-aid and therefore would also like to have good springs that fit and don't need any help. In general having the springs with the correct stance and travel is the best situation. Right now, with the spacers, the stance is ok, but travel is going to be limited in extreme situations.

Posted on: 2022/5/4 8:44
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved