Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Re: 1941 Packard 160
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
thanks i did not know that.

Posted on: 2023/1/1 14:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
while Im waiting for some parts for the 160 I moved my daughters project vehicle in to my work bay. You know she really wants it promises she will help me. So far in the last 2 years she put about 2 hours on it and I put about 1000 hours on it. Most of her time was spent standing around it while other people take her picture as she's giving the thumbs up.

Posted on: 2023/1/2 15:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I got another top cover for my transmission about a month ago it looked like new. I finally got that installed. The shifter linkage was why off so I thought that maybe I did not have the cover in the shifter forks correctly. I removed the cover 3 times it was in correct. The shift arms can only go on 1 way. So i adjusted the linkage so it would fit.

Posted on: 2023/2/8 20:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I got a fuel pump kit and now my wipers work but I hope i never need them. The arm for the wiper diaphragm in the fuel pump was not hooked up.

Posted on: 2023/2/10 17:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Since I got the fuel pump rebuilt and the transmission cover replaced I decided to take the car for a ride. After a short time the engine started missing under a load I brought the car home and noticed 1 of the valves was taping again. I guess another lifter is bad or maybe there is some dirt floating around in the oil and got into the lifter. They were nice and quiet. the oil looks like new. I'm pretty frustrated with this car at this point.

Posted on: 2023/2/11 13:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure it would show up because of the port location and being fed directly off the pump but still might be interesting to monitor the oil pressure at the lifter gallery port at various times using a good mechanical gauge. If the early and various filter issues causing noisy lifters because of low oil pressure has been taken care of there is one other item on pre 42 engines that caused intermittent issues.

Check out the low oil pressure article on the third page in this service letter. Granted Packard said it was a mostly an at idle issue but in a hot engine with thinner oil maybe it was not as isolated as they said.

Posted on: 2023/2/11 14:18
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
There are additives that you could maybe use that might clear the dirt, if that is the problem. Another possibility is using a bit heavier oil.

Posted on: 2023/2/11 16:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I tried a few things this morning i checked that the oil filter canister had a 5/64 orifice it did. I deleted the oil filter so that all the oil pressure went to the lifters first. I tried to put a slightly heavier oil in it. none of those things worked. The oil pressure is about 30 psi hot maybe slightly higher. Its the 4th valve from rear. The noise is not there when the engine is cold. The only thing I can think of is remove the head and replace that lifter. I checked the low oil pressure article in the service letter and since its only 1 lifter I dont think that is it. but who knows. keep the suggestions coming.

Posted on: 2023/2/12 12:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Using the tool to check the valve stem length I found that the valve stem was to long i ground that down so it had the correct clearance and no more valve tap warm. I hope it never returns. Also ran it about 20 miles. Hopefully it’s coming back to life it seems the more I drive it the better it runs. Maybe things are freeing up from the long dormant state.

Posted on: 2023/4/3 12:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
Had the car out for a short ride it seems to be running good knock wood. I put a nos muffler on a while ago called a silencer and the car runs so quite that when i come to a stop sign i think it stalled. Did these cars run that quite with the factory muffler?

Posted on: 2023/4/6 6:26
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved