Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 31 »

Re: DO NOT TRUST BTV
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Now im just thinking here, what about a older style Packard manual brake setup and a remote boster? Obviously this system is not something i can do right now, due to a lack os space, time and money, but it would be very Un visible and the remote booster could be mounted somewhere with less spac limitations? I know there are remote boosters availible. I actually saw a setup like this at a car show on an old T-Bird. I believe the elderly gentelman driver said the booster was off a VW van.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 21:10
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No argument the Packard location sucks. Question is with a remote fill and assuming the overall length isn't prohibitive, even though designed for flat surface would the replacement have any other issues at such an angle. Craig's seems to work so first guess would be no but am not really up on details of modern booster/cylinder operation or limitations.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 21:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Take a look at the Studebaker system that used a remote booster/MC.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 21:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are modern remote systems available from Hydrovacs to electrics. Problem with converting to manual is finding the conversion pieces. Non power brake V8 parts cars seems to be the minority and earlier years would have some issues in components and placement due to the torsion level. There is also the difference in pedal height and look which some might object to and you're taking it out of bolt in and talking lots of work going that way.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 21:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
I agree. just putting out another suggestion. I still want to find out whats wrong with the t/v tho.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 21:28
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
OK, I think that these positive comments are just that: positive.

WRT to this comment:
Quote:
To my mind, of all the solutions Craig's is the most viable as a bolt in and also being least in your face screaming replacement. Paint it black and would be almost invisible.

<p>This is true. It actually works. But this is the issue:</p>
Quote:
I think the main problem with his is the lack of assist due to the small single stage booster which was what he found that would fit. Those following the discussion for awhile might remember this ultimately took a pedal ratio change to be satisfactory.

<p>Quite right.</p>
Quote:
That particular change and the way it had to be done I don't think would be acceptable to most contemplating a replacement.
<p>Quite wrong! Everyone who has driven my 55 Pat has easily accomodatd to the new pedal position. Ask Eric, Paul, Roy, Kevin or any number of other Packard owners.</P>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/11/14 21:30
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/11/14 21:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Craig, Not having driven your car, I can't comment on pedal location but don't doubt that it is quite satisfactory. What I am referring to is the pictures you have on your site showing the modifications to get the ratio. Unless you've changed it, that is what I think would be objectionable since it's so noticeably different and not Packard, calling attention there's a modification.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 21:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The '54 and prior manual brake setup use a pedal that arcs under the floor board, and then though a mechanism that drives the rod forward into the master cylinder mounted on the frame rail forward of the firewall. One of the master cylinder mounting bolts doubles as a pivot point for the ultramatic shifter.

So you would need that transfer mechanism also.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 21:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
my bad. i forgot the location was different.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 22:04
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 31 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved