Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 25 »

Re: Engine Bay detailing on a '56 dual carb car
Just popping in
Just popping in

Paul Delaney
See User information
If memory serves (and it frequently doesn't), there is in New Jersey a '56 Executive Hardtop with 374" engine, 2 4bbl Rochesters and stick-overdrive, Dover White and Norwiegen Green, which was ordered from PMCC and delivered with the above equipment, as described. There was considerable supporting paperwork, including correspondence from the factory that details the equipment. The car, and its unusual equipment, was the subject of a couple of articles in the hobby press. It was a very low mileage original, as the first owner died shortly after taking delivery.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:53
Beware this Clipper!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Good question about the 55 Caribbean engine color. The photos are not that great. All senior engines in 1955 were Packard Cream while the 1956 Senior engines are Packard Bronze. I believe in 55 the standard valve covers are black with cream engine color Packard script. Of course Caribbeans received the 2X4 carb set up with chrome valve covers with no paint on the valve cover Packard script in both 55 and 56. In 56 the valve covers were silver with red script Packard. Hope you enjoy driving your 56 400.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 22:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
The reservoir on the firewall is an optional brake fluid retention system. If you have ever stood on you head and tried to add brake fluid to the master cylinder, you'll really appreciate the reservoir on the firewall.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 22:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Yes, I have several old cars and I am familiar with the pain in the neck on checking brake fluid. If this reservoir was a factory or dealer option for '56, I would gladly consider installing one!

Posted on: 2010/11/3 10:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It was a factory and dealer option but fairly scarce today unless you luck out in a junkyard. Originals do come up from time to time though. Several have opted for the modern plastic replacements as a bow to convenience and safety over originality and sort of tucked them out of sight in the drivers side inner fender well.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.63 KB)
209_4cd186b52259f.jpg 921X260 px

Posted on: 2010/11/3 10:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Interesting, thanks! I find it curious that it has what appears to be metal tubing in the upper part, comming out from the lid? If I remember correctly, in Cadillacs of the 40's, the tube came down directly to the brake deposit at the master cilinder.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 12:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Tube does appear to be metal but I've only seen one at a distance & don't remember routing or how it attaches to cap. If it hooks up directly then this is may be an aftermarket cap but if there is a small hose at the end between the tube and cap, then this might be a Packard cap. I found it on a parts car with power brakes but nothing else was left.

At any rate, with an aftermarket reservoir, should not be too big a deal to drill a cap and thread in a brass hose connector. Just need to make sure the existing tiny vent hole was closed if doing that.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.58 KB)
209_4cd1a7f2a820d.jpg 640X422 px

Posted on: 2010/11/3 13:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I used to complain bitterly about the difficulties of checking and adding brake fluid to the 55/56 cars, but have found that it's really very simple and easy if you remove the short air duct flex hose first. Then there is plenty of room and easy to reach as long as you're about 5' 10" or better.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 13:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You must still bend better in more places than I do or not have the AC blower blocking the way.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 14:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Right, no A/C. And bending is no problem, though getting unbent is becoming one!

Posted on: 2010/11/3 14:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved