Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
66 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 65

wjames, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 60 61 62 (63) 64 65 66 ... 146 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An alternative to sourcing new shoes is having your old shoes fitted with new friction linings. Years back shops doing this work were common and everywhere; since your old linings may contain asbestos it will be more difficult these days to find a shop doing this work, but they are out there.

And the major Packard vendors probably have new shoes with modern non-asbestos linings

Posted on: 2021/3/23 17:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:
Maybe this wagner brake shoe number might help....

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/mod ... hp?topic_id=10548&forum=2

Thanks, I'm looking into it and seeing what I can find. I might just need to pull the fronts off and take them down to Napa and see what they have.

Quote:
And the major Packard vendors probably have new shoes with modern non-asbestos linings

They do for sure, and I may end up having to go that route. But I'm also trying to save some money and get the car back on the road, so sourcing locally would be easiest. With all the stuff I've done to the car over the past several months, plus the expected expenses of new brakes, bearings, seals, tires, seatbelts, and insurance to get the car on the road, I'm trying to save where I can. My goal is to be driving in mid-April. Not sure if it will happen, but I'll push for it.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/3/23 17:24
 Top  Print   

Re: KPack
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I found some time this evening to remove one of the front wheels and take a look.

The bearings looked to have fresh grease, and from my untrained eye seemed to be in good condition. I didn't note any scoring or burn marks anywhere on them. So, theoretically I should be able to reuse these bearings on the front?

Inside the drum was pretty dirty, with lots of cobwebs. Appears to have the original springs still. I'm not sure how to tell if the brake cylinders are still good or if they need to be replaced. I have no idea on the history of the car.

Brake shoes look like there is still a lot of material left on the pads. Looks like they have been replaced at some point in the past. Again, not sure when.

Inside of the drums looks like some pretty good grooves and scoring. I'm hoping I can just get them turned. I also confirmed that the diameter is 12" on the brakes.

So what would you do here? I don't know if I can just clean up what I have here and adjust the brakes properly, or if I need to get all new components top to bottom.

Lastly, my two and half yr old twin boys know what a Packard is, and I figured I'd continue to indoctrinate them by putting up pictures in their rooms. I found a couple of really nicely done watercolors by Vince Geraci, who used to be head of styling at AMC. Picked them up on Ebay for under $20 a piece and put them in frames. I might end up taking them out of the boys' room and keeping them myself.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Front wheel bearing.jpg (200.74 KB)
1059_605ac88aafb58.jpg 1006X1300 px

jpg  Front inner wheel bearing.jpg (288.07 KB)
1059_605ac898e9a56.jpg 1500X1125 px

jpg  Front brakes.jpg (298.10 KB)
1059_605ac8ad29cbb.jpg 1125X1500 px

jpg  Front brake shoe meat.jpg (201.89 KB)
1059_605ac8ce0d0f2.jpg 1125X1500 px

jpg  Grooves in brake drum.jpg (178.07 KB)
1059_605ac8eaadd2f.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Vince Geraci 1930 Phaeton.jpg (118.43 KB)
1059_605ac8f52e77a.jpg 1500X1125 px

jpg  Vince Geraci 1954 Caribbean.jpg (111.80 KB)
1059_605ac8ff278d9.jpg 1500X1107 px

Posted on: 2021/3/24 0:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi Kevin. I would replace the steel lines, the brake hoses and the wheel cylinders. I think I would leave the springs, pins, brake shoes and drums as they are. Just clean them up, lubricate the pivot points lightly and adjust everything properly. -I hope I am not opening myself up to liability here by advising you on brakes, but from what I see, that is what I would do if it were my car. I think that is pretty much what I did when I restored my clipper.

Posted on: 2021/3/24 15:03
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Mike - of course, I should mention that I wouldn't ever hold someone liable for advice that is given. I'm just looking for some direction here because I've never dealt with drum brakes before, and I didn't want to get in there and throw away perfectly good components.

I'm ordering what supplies I can find online, and will compare the replacement wheel cylinders to the ones I pull off the car. If they match, then great. If not, then I'll send them back and see what else I can do.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/3/24 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I'm with Tobs. As long as the lining isn't coming loose off the shoes it looks to have a good bit of live left in the shoes....
John

Posted on: 2021/3/24 18:51
 Top  Print   

Re: KPack
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
John wrote:....As long as the lining isn't coming loose off the shoes it looks to have a good bit of live left in the shoes....

If the brake shoe linings are scored like the drums, is that a potential source for scoring to occur on skimmed/good drums?

Posted on: 2021/3/24 18:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Doesn't look to be riveted lining. Have to see a better picture face on of the lining. It has probably caught a pebble in there at some time to score things.

Posted on: 2021/3/24 18:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
To be on the safe side I would take the drums to a brake shop and see if the drums are turnable, they might be over size already and need to be replaced. The shoes are bonded and if the city you live in is large enough you should be able to find a shop that can bond on new lining. They do this for trucks all the time. A good shop can turn the drums and ark the new
shoes to fit the newly turned drums. I never say that is good enough with brakes.

Posted on: 2021/3/24 19:06

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The front are easy to change later if there is sufficient meat on the shoes. The rears are a PITA because of having use a puller to get the drums off. So you don't want to have to go back in there if you can help it. So unless they are pretty much new shoes, replace them, also, change the wheel seals and repack axles bearing for the same reason. Who knows when it was done last and it a pain job to do. So do it once and it should be good for a very, very, very long time.

Also, brake hardware and spring kits are not that expensive, so I just replaced everything while I was in there.

Posted on: 2021/3/24 19:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 60 61 62 (63) 64 65 66 ... 146 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved