Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 64 65 66 (67) 68 69 70 ... 73 »

Re: Henry's 37 Limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
trunk floor is crap, I believe from the trunk a/c unit they had installed moons ago. leaked all over and rotted the floor pan. until I can find one economically that I can cut off a donor car...i'll leave it be...but since it doesn't really matter I cut a hold in the floor to get to the sending unit so I didn't have to drop the tank. I only cut 3 side to the square so I could bend the metal up and down and just silicone it back off for the time being.

you can see the outline of the sheet metal the screwed over the huge hole.....horrible way to fix it.

I know 2 things.

1. the cork floats are worn out and saturated, thus the reason the gas gauge never moves

2. the Ohms on the sender is off by 10. so its 10-40ohms instead of 0-30. this is why the gauge always read 1/4 full. move the sender and the gauge moves.

so to fix it I ordered an ethanol resistant neoprene float from a model A website...5 bucks. and I would like to wire in a resistor in parallel to drop the ohms back to range of 0-30

i'm just having a hard time visualizing the wiring here. I know it is not in series...so I have to wire from ground to sending wire with the resistor and then also run the sending wire to the fuel sender itself as well...parallel. just having a hard time visualizing it.

also I know I need a 20ohm resistor as it will be cut in half when put in parallel, but i'm not sure what amp to use.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.93 KB)
491_593ed86467298.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.98 KB)
491_593ed8691c11c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.60 KB)
491_593ed86d5520b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.80 KB)
491_593ed87206cbb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.23 KB)
491_593ed87732597.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/6/12 13:07
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No mystery though perhaps not quite common knowledge, cork floats will ultimately become saturated from immersion in gasoline, that's why they were coated with shellac which in the day of the "good old gasoline" was a perfect coating. However since shellac is soluble in alcohol, it's no longer a suitable coating for today's E10 gasohol. Plastic or brass floats are the answer for gasoline though the shellac-coated cork float in the crankcase that some of us have on mid-30s and earlier senior cars to read the oil level in the crankcase seems to hold up just fine.

Posted on: 2017/6/12 14:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks for filling in the information I left out. It was no mystery to me, once I saw they were saturated, I knew they were trash. inside of tank is very clean, just a small amount of sediment in a few places...probably from the corks maybe. who knows.

Posted on: 2017/6/12 14:31
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
fuel sender fixed. gas gauge works. I had to run a separate ground line to the sender from the frame. I guess the fuel tank wasn't getting a good ground anymore.

I ground off the crimp in the sender arm and pulled off the washers and cork. replaced with new floats. then just bent the arm at 90 degrees at the end to hold the floats on the arm. easy peasy.

here are the floats if anyone needs them. you will need two for the 37 sender.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/gauge-float-only

I had to solder the fuel line back into the sender as it came loose. when I did it heated up the sending unit considerably. I cooled it off with compressed air. then I checked to make sure it works and it now is reading 4ohms empty and 34 full. so maybe the heat cycle corrected something inside paritally. no clue, but the gauge reads dead on the E and dead on the F. so i'm happy.

I guess we will see when the fuel runs out if the gauge moves down. I did rock the car and the needle did bounce a bit.

Posted on: 2017/6/16 11:50
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
still haven't found a usable head. I can make something work, but I really want those predrilled bolt holes on the side without having to make some bracket up to mount the oil filter. I have till Oct....I have a wedding the car is in then. so if I don't find anything, I guess I'll be making brackets.

meantime..for my birthday....my wife painted some glass for my Packard plant door, which I installed. I think she did a great job!

the license plate is from my 37 and the car is a picture my kiddo drew of the 37.

I see that my pictures have been suffering from the same issue BigKev posted about in another thread.

what I normally do is email myself the pictures I want to post and use my iPhone to resize them when it emails. then I save the pics from my email to my computer. well, in win7 it would display the image in whatever orientation it happened to be in. in this case the same orientation that you see in this post...sideways. then I would open the image and rotate it and then exit the image and it would save it that way. post it to the forum and wholla it works....but now with win10....it is smart enough to rotate the image automatically without saving....which is a problem for the forum.

if you click on my image you will see it is still sideways. that's because in win10 it is smart enough to just present it upright and you as the end user knows no different and wont have to rotate it.

but in win7 it saves it as is and you have to rotate the pic manually.

the second image is me rotating the image in win10 to look sideways....but as you can see it still ignores that. win7 for the literal win on this one.

i'll just have to post pics from my home computer. work went to win10 now.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.63 KB)
491_597233bede73f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.63 KB)
491_597237222731f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/7/21 12:05
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is what I see on my Mac 10.12.5 with Safari 10.1.1. Firefox 54.0.1 displays the same way.

When I click on the upper photo to open, it displays correctly. When I click on the lower photo that you played with, instead of opening correctly like the top one it opens 180 out with Packard on the right instead of on top or the left. I'd say leave them untouched as at least I can open them correctly.

All that aside, great job on the door. Your wife is to be commended. I can't enlarge the photo any larger to see the fine detail but if the picture is something your kiddo did I am even more impressed.

Attach file:

jpg  (108.20 KB)
209_59723ade32f9c.jpg 1020X1596 px

Posted on: 2017/7/21 12:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
here is the same photo saved to my win7 computer, rotated, saved, and then posted. its right side up.

also uploaded a larger pic. maybe you can see the detail. he drew the car at the bottom right of the door glass and my wife transferred it over in paint by tracing it.

you can see the Goddess of Speed on the front.

you'll notice the glass is not tall enough...it was the tallest they had at Lowe's says the wife and she didn't know where else to go.

Attach file:

jpg  (154.99 KB)
491_59724a63332f1.jpg 1224X1632 px

jpg  (31.26 KB)
491_59724b4254c96.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.29 KB)
491_59724b46508e1.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (39.09 KB)
491_59724b4a6d3bc.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/7/21 13:39
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2017/7/21 22:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hank, your kiddo has talent and I do believe you have a budding artist or maybe a future car stylist in the family. When I was his age my drawing of your car would have been a couple of square boxes with a round circle or maybe two under it. Unfortunately that is still about the best I could do so to see a recognizable car from one so young should make you very proud.

Posted on: 2017/7/22 0:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Mike,

I emailed JD at Max Merritt months back and I was told they could not help me. I was surprised and not sure if that meant they didn't have the part or they refuse to sell to me. If they refused, then that is confusing as I've been a long time customer and only strayed that one time to Kanter (never again). maybe in all of those heads I see on the shelf in the video he did not have a 37 282....doesn't seem right to me, but I didn't question them, I just accepted that he couldn't help me and looked to other sources best I could. I will continue to use Max exclusively and hopefully there isn't a problem with me as a customer.

I may yet still use the head I have from DAF that I tried drilling the holes for the mounting bolts for the oil filter and coil. I welded the holes back shut, they were tiny pilot holes and I filled that side with water. no leaks at the welds. since the system is not pressurized, I'm not too worried.

I think I will try to get some thick nuts and weld them to the side at the same locations. this will give me a place to thread into and not drill into the head. this will also be easier then fabbing some brackets to hold everything to the top of the head. just set the nut on the side, weld it all the way around. wholla...mounting point. not perfect...but I'm tired of searching around for a head with the holes in it already, its harder then I thought it would be to do.

hopefully that works...or maybe I'm just batshit crazy.

Howard,

thanks, my wife encourages his artistic side and we constantly buy him sketch books. he is hard on himself though, but I will inform him of your kind words as to encourage him and help him realize he is on the right path.

Posted on: 2017/7/22 10:11
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 64 65 66 (67) 68 69 70 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved