Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

b.wilson wrote:
Thanks for setting me straight on that. Yes, I misinterpreted it as vehicle number, which didn't make much sense. I've already sent a note to the Studebaker Museum archives asking about this car. May not hear back for a while, because apparently nobody there right now.

Think I'll just go ahead and order the build sheet.

Leedy, thanks for the info regarding the Conner plant. Sounds like you know quite a bit more about it than has been published. Very helpful.

Until recently, I had no idea where my Clipper was built. Now I know it was partially assembled at Conner, and finished in Australia. If I can get the build sheet, I might learn more.

Cheers

Brian

Hello. That's Leeedy with 3'e's. Glad to be of help. And yes, sadly whatever has been published so far on the Conner Avenue Packard Plant has been woefully inadequate. Even misleading. Some even downright wrong. All of which is why so many people believe so many myths (like it was a single floor, etc.) about that poor plant that only existed for a short time.

Anyway, not a good idea to assume your car was constructed as an export model unless you have some hard proof of this. It could just as well have been imported to Australia and then converted. As someone who once had many connections with both Packard and in later years, Ford of Australia and more, I have seen some rather miraculous changeover (LHD to RHD) jobs. One of these was done to the Plymouth Plainsman concept show car (not the Aussie production car, but the one-off concept). I found that car back in the USA in the 1970s when everyone (and I DO mean EVERYONE) swore it had been destroyed.

For several years, the Plainsman had actually lived in Australia and the owner was forced to convert it from LHD to RHD. I know precisely where it was converted in Australia and the fellow who did it performed an amazing feat, making it look as if it left the factory that way. I talk about this changeover in my new Plainsman concept car book. I know of other examples as well, but this is the most famous.

So don't presume your car was purpose-built as an export model unless you have hard facts to indicate so.

In the meantime, why not take a clear photo of the serial plate in the doorjamb of your vehicle (left-hand or right-hand front door?) and let's take a look at that?

Posted on: 2020/4/16 10:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Brian, are you aware that the RHD 1956 Clipper that was road-tested in England was shipped by Packard as a LHD car and the conversion to RHD done by Packard's London dealer Leonard Williams? When you get your build slip we may well know if it was built as an export model, but regardless of that I suspect the conversion to RHD was done locally.

I could post the road tests again if you haven't seen them and can't find it on site here, same car but road-tested by two different publications.

PS -photo of Utica motor number and location.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.13 KB)
177_5e98a7efb2c00.jpg 787X1077 px

Posted on: 2020/4/16 12:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Thanks for the info and pics guys. Sorry, Leeedy!

Yes, it's possible that my car was shipped as a LHD. If so, it must have come with a kit of RHD components for the conversion. The dash is definitely a factory job, and a mirror of the LHD version. Quite a few other mechanical bits too, like Ultramatic linkage, steering gear etc. It did get a locally fitted heater (on the opposite side) and a radio and later, electric wipers.

LHD to RHD conversions are very common here now, but were not then. Quite a few US cars were built here in the 1940/50s with Australian bodies.

I guess the Production Order will help answer some of these questions, when I finally see it.

O-D the paint on the block of my engine would probably obscure the Utica engine number, if it's there. Will have to do some scraping when I go looking for it. Most likely will find it.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2020/4/16 17:29
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Brian, the 55/56 Packard products (Clippers only, to my knowledge) converted to RHD by Leonard Williams also did not have the standard heater but were as I recall equipped with the type of heater last used on the 21st series cars, this is mentioned in one of the road test reports. Yes, they had a factory-supplied mirror image dashboard stamping, and the metal mesh fascia was the LHD item just flipped over.

Posted on: 2020/4/16 18:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Dave

Yes, it's beginning to look like that, but it would have needed more than the dash to do the RHD conversion. I do have a copy of the UK road test, thanks.

I was told by a previous owner that the heater in my car is Smiths brand (not to be confused with Smiths instruments in UK). That is an Australian product that went into large numbers of locally built cars here. It does look like the heaters fitted to many Packards around that time. I can't see a brand name on it. I'll try to get some pics. It may in fact be an earlier Packard item, as you say.

Brian

Attach file:

jpeg  (171.54 KB)
191498_5e99084aec8c9.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (200.29 KB)
191498_5e99086857db3.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (188.32 KB)
191498_5e9908815c486.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/4/16 20:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Hello Leeedy

There's a fairly clear pic in an earlier post of the vehicle plate on the left hand door jamb in my car.

I'll post it here again.

Cheers

Brian

Attach file:

jpeg  (197.61 KB)
191498_5e990cbd3a2f5.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/4/16 20:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

b.wilson wrote:
Dave

Yes, it's beginning to look like that, but it would have needed more than the dash to do the RHD conversion. I do have a copy of the UK road test, thanks.

I was told by a previous owner that the heater in my car is Smiths brand (not to be confused with Smiths instruments in UK). That is an Australian product that went into large numbers of locally built cars here. It does look like the heaters fitted to many Packards around that time. I can't see a brand name on it. I'll try to get some pics. It may in fact be an earlier Packard item, as you say.

Brian

The heater doors look like they are opened by hand. Does the temp and heat/defrost lever on the dash do anything in the heater and is the right and left side air vent still operational?

Posted on: 2020/4/16 21:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

b.wilson wrote:
Hello Leeedy

There's a fairly clear pic in an earlier post of the vehicle plate on the left hand door jamb in my car.

I'll post it here again.

Cheers

Brian

Uh-ohhhhh. Something "pops" out at me right away: POP rivets. The Packard factory didn't use modern pop rivets to attach serial plates on V-8 Packards and Clippers. Serial plates from this period were always spot-welded in place. The two alignment holes were normally left open (even though they look perfect for screws or rivets).

Furthermore... this serial plate has no stampings for either the exterior color or the interior. Normally blank entries were only found on very odd custom orders... for instance where a color was ordered that was not a factory color and thus had no code available. Having both sections blank would be highly unusual, but possible.

While your plate does not look new, normally when I see one looking like this, I'm inclined to think the plate is a repop (no pun intended).

Posted on: 2020/4/16 22:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Leeedy wrote:.....[size=small]Uh-ohhhhh. Something "pops" out at me right away: POP rivets. The Packard factory didn't use modern pop rivets to attach serial plates on V-8 Packards and Clippers. Serial plates from this period were always spot-welded in place. The two alignment holes were normally left open (even though they look perfect for screws or rivets).

Furthermore... this serial plate has no stampings for either the exterior color or the interior.....
Leon,

A couple of '55 Clippers were recently auctioned in Australia. One was missing the Serial Plate but the other did have one. It too was pop riveted and had no stampings for exterior colour or interior, although there are some "scratchings" there.

Attach file:

jpg  (174.85 KB)
226_5e992e11ad001.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (195.86 KB)
226_5e992ee109bb8.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2020/4/16 23:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Quote:
Leeedy wrote:.....[size=small]Uh-ohhhhh. Something "pops" out at me right away: POP rivets. The Packard factory didn't use modern pop rivets to attach serial plates on V-8 Packards and Clippers. Serial plates from this period were always spot-welded in place. The two alignment holes were normally left open (even though they look perfect for screws or rivets).

Furthermore... this serial plate has no stampings for either the exterior color or the interior.....
Leon,

A couple of '55 Clippers were recently auctioned in Australia. One was missing the Serial Plate but the other did have one. It too was pop riveted and had no stampings for exterior colour or interior, although there are some "scratchings" there.

Yesss, I've seen such pop-riveted plates stateside. But whenever I've seen them here, the plates turn out to be repops. I even removed one once for a disbeliever and one could clearly see the old spotweld trace hits underneath the pop-riveted plate.

Perhaps there was a process in Australia using blanked plates and pop rivets. But this was not a factory process for V-8s

Posted on: 2020/4/16 23:50
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved