Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 162

37Blanche, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: "Waking Sleeping Beauty" .... The Blog!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks, JW. I couldn't have got this far without you and the group!
The more I think about it the more I want to drop that oil pan and clean the screen! The engine sounds too good to get lazy now.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 14:15
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If and when u drop the pan pay close attention to any solid pieces in the pan or stuck to oil pump screen. ESPECIALY if u find small hard black 'plastic' bits that resemble 1/2 of a broken fingernail only thicker.

Posted on: 2011/3/6 14:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Agreed, look at the stuff in the pan, but don't be afraid to drive it anyway! That will be awesome. Now I want sound as well as pics. Maybe a short video clip? But, take your time and savor it. I like the bit about oiling the cups in the generator and distributor. Don't forget a dab of lube on the rubbing block, too--it pays to keep your breaker points happy! I wish you many happy, smooth miles of motoring in "Sleeping Beauty" (nudge wink).

Posted on: 2011/3/11 0:25
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Gang,
No, "Sleeping Beauty" and I didn't turn into an "X-File", It's just that I've been down with the "Crud" or Flu or whatever it is for the last 1.5 weeks and I still can't shake it off. The closest I've been to my car was a short trip out to the garage last night just to make sure everything is all right out there. While there, I gave into the temptation to see if she'd start after over a weeks' worth of neglect. To my amazed delight she fired up almost as soon as the starter started to turn - and ran smooth and quiet (except for an exhaust leak).
I want to thank PackardV8, JW, 55PackardGuy and all for your help and suggestions.
The "chunks" that PackardV8 refers to grabbed my attention. They sound ominous - what would they formerly be a part of?
I want to thank 55PackardGuy for reminding me about lubing the distributor rubbing block - I forgot all about that.
I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to get back to work on her - hopefully this coming weekend. When I do, I'll work on getting some pictures and maybe a video clip.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Well, "Sleeping Beauty" is still in the shop and while just about everyone there as driven it, I have yet to take my first real drive. I was going to try last week but mine got put on the back burner due to more pressing repair jobs for other customers. I had intended to go today but she died on them yesterday and today they were waiting for a new set of points and condenser - the one thing I didn't change prior to first starting her. She should be ready to try tomorrow - I hope. Even the weather is supposed to be nice.

More later -

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2011/11/3 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I drove the '55 again today - some lurching but not as bad as after the fuel fill three days ago. Interesting side note: I inadvertently started out in "gear start" rather than my usual "H". She shifted so smoothly that it took me a minute to figure out what I had done. Never boring.

The accelerator pump is hanging up again I guess. I slowly press down on the accelerator pedal and while it moves as it should, nothing happens until all at once I've got this great leap forward. I finally was able to bring up the Daytona website. While I still had some difficulties; ie. clicking on the spot for a picture of the kit got me nothing but a message of "Picture Coming Soon" but it never happened. I think I'll call them tomorrow. I mean, obviously I need to re-do the carb and I'm tried NAPA's kits in which the accelerator pump dissolves in month.

I figure I'll start with what was last worked on: The Carb and the Fuel Pump. I've done the fuel pump and it seems OK, so that leaves the carburetor. With the accelerator pump problem I KNOW I have, that seems the next step. If those two things don't return her to the way she was prior to the pivot pin's escape I'll know I have bigger problems.

I'm going to try the carb cleaner spray method of looking for vacuum leaks tomorrow when it's supposed to be a little cooler - I's 92 on the porch in the shade. I find that along with other things, I'm losing my heat tolerance.

I want to thank O_D, JW, JP PackardV8, Big Kev, Jack and last, but not least, Howard for all their guidance and help with this hic-up.

More later

PS Sorry about the changing postings - In future I'll keep all '55 stories like these to this Blog.

Posted on: 2012/8/12 19:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Took "SB" for a "errand/test drive" to the bank and the FedEx store on Swan Island. She is still doing the buck and lurch at even throttle. The very interesting part of this jaunt to me was the segment from the bank on Interstate which in on a bluff overlooking the river (hence the name of the area being Overlook) to the FedEx which is at the bottom of the bluff. The street to the FedEX is rather steep and I could still feel the buck and lurch though not as bad as would be on level ground. The trip back up was the interesting part. Starting in Gear Start with the pedal about 1/3 of the way down she went smoothly through both gears and into lock-up and just as smooth after up the hill reaching 50 mph before I had to let up for the traffic light. This would be just the car for the old father and son bit (with modifications) "When I was your age I had to go three miles to school - up hill - BOTH WAYS!!!"

I'm thinking about getting one of those $16.83 Bosch fuel pumps I posted on JeffM's post myself; just to be able to eliminate the fuel pump part of the equation. But that fact that the up hill performance was as The God of Packard intended kind of eliminates the pump as a problem - at least to me.

Any ideas or thoughts would be wonderful!

Posted on: 2012/8/14 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I'm wondering if maybe the problem is in the primary section of my carb. Charging up that hill today and the car working perfectly - could that be due to the accelerator pedal being at least half way down and maybe that was enough to bring the secondary on line.

I know next to nothing about carbs, can barely spell the word but is that a reasonable guess?

I feel like I'm running out of straws to grasp.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 20:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Took the '55 out for another spin today and the more I drive it the more I think that some part of the carburetor is the problem. Idles fairly well and runs like a dream up hill or accelerating - probably the secondary coming on line. I wish I knew more about carbs but....

AND as an added bonus the heater core has sprung a leak.

Could it be that "Sleeping Beauty" didn't wish to be awakened?

Posted on: 2012/8/15 16:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Even Rip Van Winkle had to stretch and yawn a bit when he woke up.

I'm not much good on carbs either so no comment from here. Is it the heater core or the Ranco valve leaking or better question, where is the water dripping from. Either is possible after a long sit but the valve is something you can do while the core needs a trip to the shop.

One other possibility on the valve is the wire hose clamps. I thought I had a bad seal because it was running down the inside under the carpet and dripping out a body bolt hole as they typically do when that fails. Turned out to be a clamp apparently got tired & no longer was tight enough. Under pressure coolant squirted into the car thru the valve pipe opening as well as dripped in engine compt.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 16:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved