Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 77

Packard Don, TxGoat, Bob J, J-Dreamer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Oil Filter Lines
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I also don't think it's an export-only issue.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I am also reasonably sure it is not an export issue. I believe it is a change from the 48-50 series to later cars. I have 4 288s and 2 327s None of them have drain back holes in the lower block like the later engines. Out of all of these engines only one is equipped with a filter. It's on one of my 327s. When I get a chance I will open it up and check for the restrictor.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 20:33
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Finally got a picture of my 23rd series oil filter canister and that little restrictor hole. It seems to be the same as everybody elses. This is for my 288 engine which I believe is original to the car. The car has good oil pressure and the way ity is plumbed doesnt seem to be a problem.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.73 KB)
484_48eb590c7d894.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2008/10/7 7:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I guess that shoots down my theory that the cannister for the 288 might have had a larger metering hole to account for the non-bypass status of the filter.

But, as you say... if it works, it works.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 10:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I finally thought to check the parts manual. It lists PA395488 for all 22nd and 23rd series cars except: 2213,2313 (Custom 8 hearse/ambulance) which used PA40337 and 2220, 2240 (6 cylinder cars) which used PA 387898.

Not sure what the differences are. But there must be some. Possibly, just the oil lines.

Posted on: 2008/10/7 19:10
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Sorry to bring this up again, but I have a serious leak on the top of my oil cannister. I am not sure if its got to do with the filter or if there should be a seal between the filter and top and how this should look.

My concern: if the oil cannot pass through my cannister, what will happen, seeing that I have 288 without the drain back? The engine seems tio run fine, but I am concerned. Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (75.41 KB)
484_49226b52cc67f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2008/11/18 2:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There should be two seals, the large rubber gasket around the inside of the cover that seals to the flange of the rim of the canister, and a copper washer under the retaining bolt.

Are you saying your filter has no outlet? If not, of course you've got no filtration. In that case and if you don't intend to make it functional, I'd recommend pinching or otherwise closing off the inlet line until such time as you complete a functional installation.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I do have the bypass (pigtail) oil line hookup on my 356 but I still had the same problem with the filter canister leaking profusely around the retaining bolt. I used an old rubber O-ring I found in my spare parts drawer to stop the leak. I will probably try replacing this with a new copper washer (as described by O_D) the next time I change the filter. I thought that both gaskets were included with the new filters, but the filter I bought from NAPA only came with the large gasket for the rim.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 11:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All the filters I've purchased only came with the rubber gasket for the rim. If you have trouble finding a copper washer for the retaining bolt, you can make one if you have access to a lathe, but I've used fairly thick nylon washers available at any good hardware store without problems, though you'll probably need to change it to a new one each time just to be sure.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 11:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved