Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Torsion Level Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Has anyone ever tried to repair a compensator switch? Hard or easy fix?

Thanks,
Bernardi

Posted on: 2012/10/12 9:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An old-time mechanic who was one of my early mentors told me anything can be fixed except an aluminum head and a broken heart. So I suppose repair, depending on what failed, is possible. But perhaps easier is to just send an old core away for the solid-state conversion. P.N.R. (Pacific Northwest Region) is a source for this, there may be others. They advertise regularly in The Packard Club publication, as I recall the price is about $100 assuming a decent core. This is what I did for a backup compensator switch, though the original continues to function normally.

Hopefully someone else will be able to give you a more direct answer to your question.

Posted on: 2012/10/12 9:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depends on the problem.

If it's the bimetal strip contacts or heaters, don't think there is a repair other than the new solid state conversions. The contacts could be cleaned but if a relay or heater is burned out, that might be a problem in replacing. The resistance in the relay coil is part of the heater circuit so need to be replaced with one from another unit or at least having the same characteristics.

The large spring on the link lever is a torsion spring. Basic springs are available but to get exact specs in finding another might also involve another switch. Not sure how easy or even if it could be disassembled successfully to change the spring because of the construction.

Posted on: 2012/10/12 9:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Thanks for the information. The cover is riveted on.I'll drill the rivets out and see what appears to be the problem. Apparently I can always send it in (if I don't screw it up) and get the solid state one. The one on the 55 400 works fine. The 56 Patrician is the troubled one. It was my understanding that they were more reliable than the 55. Such is life.

Thanks,
Bernardi

Posted on: 2012/10/12 22:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It was my understanding that they were more reliable than the 55.

The switch mechanisms are virtually the same 55-6. The difference is external. The 55 had 3 screw type terminals exposed and subject to corrosion. On the 56 box those 3 terminals were a different type and enclosed in a weather tight compartment. There were two additional tie point terminals for the revised limit switch connections also in the enclosure. When 55 switch stock ran out, there was a kit consisting of a short wire harness to splice on the old loom to adapt the 55 cars to 56 switches with the different terminals.

The different weatherproofed limit switches and relocated solenoids so very little of the electrical was exposed to the elements is the major difference in reliability between 55-6. One problem with the 56 arrangement was the limit switch near the driveshaft was subject to damage from road debris and the wiring where it solders into the switches can be a bit delicate and break from vibration. The switch plungers have also been known to stick when actuated.

Posted on: 2012/10/12 22:50
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
After all was said and done, I chickened out. Sent the compensator switch to Packards International Pacific Northwest Region Club to be replaced with a solid state unit. Amazing service. I put the core in the mail in Pittsburgh, PA on Monday. Today (Friday) I took the replacement out of my mailbox. Pennsylvania to Washington state and return in 5 days! The price has gone up over the years. It is now %135, including Priority Mail return.

Thank goodness for this site and for the Packard clubs throughout the country.

The Projects/Parts list can be seen athttp://packardsintnw.com/page6/page6.html

Bernardi

Posted on: 2012/10/26 23:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The comment about the reliability of the 1956 switch amuses me. Lets see, its been 56 years and it failed. How many of todays car parts will have a record like that a half century from now? My original 1956 switch still works fine as well as many others I know of. Just keep things in perspective, the service life of this particular item has been exceptional in my opinion.

Posted on: 2012/10/27 7:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hope the switch solves your problem. Don't suppose they happened to give any indication of what was wrong with your original??

Posted on: 2012/10/27 9:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
My '55 Patrician has the '56 switch - was changed over pre '84 but other than that I don't know when. Who ever did it, left the cover off. I've got a spare cover, and this reminds me I'd better get to it now that the Monsoons have arrived in Portland.

Posted on: 2012/10/27 10:49
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
No, there was no comment on the possible failing of the core. It may well be that they keep a few rebuilt switches on the shelf but ship only when a replacement arrives.
I should have pulled the cover off on general principles, but time and energy ran out.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2012/10/30 13:24
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved