Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 68 69 70 (71) 72 73 74 ... 140 »

Re: BigKev
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I like the way the steering wheel and instrument panel wood graining match. Very attractive.

Posted on: 2023/4/24 11:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
John, yes, it was a happy surprise when the woodgraining returned from Ron in Texas.

Posted on: 2023/4/24 12:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Managed to finally get my battery cut-off switch installed.

Since I have a split back seat, I can quickly fold the driver seat forward to reach the area behind the seat, which is also the large rumble seat foot well.

So I mounted the switch through the floor directly behind the seat. The seat is in is fully back position. So no danger there. Underneath, it's a straight 14" shot from the battery terminal to the switch terminal. Also the switch comes through in a portion of the X frame, so it pretty much enclosed by frame in a triangle.

I just ordered cables to go from the battery to the switch and from the switch up to the starter solenoid.

It takes about 5 seconds to fold the seat and turn off or on the battery power, and it's completely hidden from view.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20230424_193616_Gallery.jpg (215.64 KB)
1_644722a4dc8bb.jpg 1920X864 px

Posted on: 2023/4/24 19:45
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, neat job. Did you switch the ground or hot?

Posted on: 2023/4/25 11:09
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I switched the hot. Just made more sense in my situation due to the length of the hot feed up to the starter solenoid on the passenger side.

Posted on: 2023/4/25 11:57
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Cleaned up and painted the firewall black for now. It gives me a cleanable paint surface.

Eventually the entire car will get stripped and painted. B

But for now, at least it will be clean and neat inside.

Attach file:

jpg  Screenshot_20230425_182318_Gallery.jpg (165.15 KB)
1_6448620fe4dd0.jpg 1920X864 px

Posted on: 2023/4/25 18:28
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
I switched the hot. Just made more sense in my situation due to the length of the hot feed up to the starter solenoid on the passenger side.

I believe switching the ground is preferred, but sometimes the wiring routing requires switching the hot like you did. Still good as you can disconnect the battery from the electrical system. Good for safety and prolonging battery life when car is unused for a long period. I switched the hot on my 115C for the same reasons too.

Posted on: 2023/4/26 12:22
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Longshot.... but does anyone that has replaced their convertible top and boot have their old top boot lying around and looking for a new home?

I ask because I could put that on that car with some blocking/padding undeath to give the illusion of having a top but in the down position. This gives me something more presentable until I can piece together the rest of the components actually to put the top mechanism on the car.

If so, let me know and what you want for it. It could be for a 1936-1937 120 or 115. Maybe 1938 as well?

Here is a picture for reference:

Attach file:

jpg  ScreenShot 710.jpg (120.02 KB)
1_64496df3c2ba0.jpg 1920X1044 px

jpg  ScreenShot 711.jpg (121.59 KB)
1_64496dff94318.jpg 1920X1454 px

Posted on: 2023/4/26 13:29
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
So my fuel gauge has been a bit erratic. Either it reads correctly, currently at about 1/2 tank or it reads full.

Sometimes this happens without ever the car running or moving it. I can turn the ignition switch on and sometime it will read full, turn it off and back on then it will read correctly.

This last time it was stuck on full again. So as a test I connected a alligator clip on a test wire to the gauge tank terminal. Turn on the ignition, it read full, I grounded that wire, and then it read empty (as expected) when I ungrounded that wire in then read correctly.

After a few seconds (like 20) it suddenly shot back to full. Like some kind of residue magnetism.

So based on this, I think it's a faulty coil or something in the gauge. Maybe a winding or something.

Any opinions? Just trying to make sure based on that it a gauge problems before I try to get under the dash and remove it.

Posted on: 2023/4/26 18:03
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The gauge is a balancing act with one coil always pulling the needle toward full and one toward empty. Since it always wants to jump to full I would look for a wire or ground issue -- maybe wire is broken somewhere and intermittently makes contact or maybe there is a poor crimp connection or the tank ground is questionable.

Since it works at times, if it is in the gauge it might be because somehow the sender terminal on the back of the gauge was twisted when tightening the wire. That could have caused an issue with the connection inside. Mechanical binding after a severe jolt is always possible and I suppose it is equally possible since the car is converted that the gauge was exposed to 12v and somehow the coil was burned or a core permanently magnetized. If that is the case I would think it would always read incorrectly.

Attach file:

jpg  gauge.jpg (76.37 KB)
209_6449bc08c3401.jpg 748X1212 px

Posted on: 2023/4/26 19:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 68 69 70 (71) 72 73 74 ... 140 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved